Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 5:38:52 PM EDT
What factory .30-06 rounds have given you the best accuracy in your Garand?

I have a Garand Gear ported gas plug so I would be willing to try most regular commercial ammo as well as that made specifically for the M1.

Not a reloader yet so I have to stick with mil surplus or factory loaded ammo.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy some of Creedmore Armory's .30-06 match ammo. They use Lapua brass and bullets and load specifically for use in Garands.

I reload so I'm not limited by what's offered on the market.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You really need to start handloading.

http://masterpostemple.bravepages.com/M1load.htm

start saving all your brass now.

handloading allows you to find that sweet spot were the rifle's 100yard groups just shrink to about nothing.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Federal gold medal match with the 168 grain hpbt is the old stand by and fine in a Garand without the plug replacement. I second the notion of getting into reloading as the only logical long term solution to feeding an m1 without going bankrupt
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.  Mine shoots pretty well with surplus, and I want to see what it and I can do with some more consistent ammo.

I am saving my brass,  but time did not permit reloading in the past.  I just switched jobs to get a little more free time so I'd like to get a press and get set up soon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I use this stuff for matches
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-168-gr-A-MAX-M1-Garand/

I can clean the 200 rapids with my as-issued Garand with the original barrel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#6]
My M1 with as-issued barrel also digs the Hornady 168 gr bullets. I load their HPBT Match in lieu of the A-Max, though.

Pricey but worth it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Hornady is my choice as well if you cannot use reloads.

The old Korean surplus is great.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again, looks like I'll be tracking down some of the Hornady to try first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top