Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 4:01:41 PM EDT
I picked up this beauty a few weeks ago and was finally able to hit the range.  I started at 50 yds with some of the Turkish brassed cased ammo purchased from Walmart. I shot 140 rounds to break it in. Function was 100%, accuracy was OK. I owned a M1A loaded years ago that would hold 2-3 groups at 200 yards all day but realize this gun is for fast close in shooting. Groups at 100 yards were 4-5 inches. The wide front sight really limits shooting at distance.

In addition to open sights, I tried a micro red dot on the rail. The optic got reallllllly hot. Accuracy was not too much better than open sights, so I took it off. This gun will be mainly for pig hunting and will work well in that role. 200 yards shots......not that important for my needs . The fun to shoot level is high, but I really need to shoot it with better ammo.

First 10 shots @ 50yds

20 @ 50 still getting use to the trigger and sights.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm super jeal. I lusted over one of these years ago but never brought myself to make it happen. I would like to see it perform with match grade ammo in a 10 shot group with some magnification.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought the exact same gun today! I'll be giving a range review hopefully in the next few days
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations!

Quoted:
I tried a micro red dot on the rail. The optic got reallllllly hot. Accuracy was not too much better than open sights, so I took it off.
View Quote

For future reference. Consider replacing the factory optic mount, with the light weight, cool running, low profile Scout Hand Guard (SHG).
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
My only complaint about my Socom 16, factory optic rail sucks and is some sort of picatinny weaver hybrid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice socom16, congrats on the purchase. Last month I picked up my S16...and I pretty much have the same groupings you mentioned, 50/100y.  I agree I don't like the forward rail... My reddot gets really hot and in the back if my mind bothers me.  My groupings were shot with ppu 145gr fmj,  I need to try heavier bullets n see what happens., but man these socom 16s are awesome
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Please don't take this personally.  The SOCOM 16 is a beautiful gun, and if it had better accuracy I might consider owning one.  But to me, if a $1500 rifle can't shoot 2 MOA with factory ammo, it's useless.  If I wanted to hunt pigs with a semi-auto rifle, and would be satisfied with 5-6 MOA, I'd spend a LOT less on that rifle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The 16.25" can be pretty accurate.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I would try some different ammo and an optic and make sure you take the human part out of the equation as much as possible with a really good rest and all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please don't take this personally.  The SOCOM 16 is a beautiful gun, and if it had better accuracy I might consider owning one.  But to me, if a $1500 rifle can't shoot 2 MOA with factory ammo, it's useless.  If I wanted to hunt pigs with a semi-auto rifle, and would be satisfied with 5-6 MOA, I'd spend a LOT less on that rifle.
View Quote

I have thick skin. 24 years in the military will do that to ya....lol.

That was shot with cheap ammo and open sights with a huge thick front sight. I'm sure with better ammo, optics and a thinner FSP it would shoot better. Keep in mind, it was not designed to pouch MOA groups.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Took my new socom out today and the best group I could hold was about 3" maybe a little less at 100 yards using federal m1a match I believe it's a 168gr bullet. All other ammo I tried was 4-5". I'm planning on putting my aimpoint T-1 on it and hopefully get the groups down a little. I fired approximately 70 rounds between MKE,Winchester 308, and federal 7.62 nato. Rifle functioned 100% and had positive ejection at the 1 o'clock. I'm extremely happy with this rifle, it was very controllable and had mild recoil.

I have 5 check mate mags coming tomorrow so I can really get it heated up and put through its paces.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
3 MOA with those big irons is pretty good, IMO.  If you are talking 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought an ultimak m8 iirc. It looks like the SHG posted by H20_MAN.
When it cools off and I find it(from the move)I want to try it out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Replace the stock with a GI stock or a wood stock and your groupings will shrink 33% or more.

Springfield went cheap on the stock, it flexes and does not help in the accuracy dept.

My SOCOM (when I used to have one) got MOA with my carbon fiber rod reinforced GI stock and Sierra 110gr bullets, I used IMR or Hodgsen 4198 powder.

Go to m14tfl.com and look for a guy named RAMMAC, he has done great things with his SOCOM.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, a question about your target.
Did your shots move south or north? I'm asking because I'm trying to formulate a plan to check my accuracy.
How much time between your shots? I will be putting my socom in a GI Fiberglas stock, for starters.
I'm trying to use materials I've been stockpiling over the years.
No special targets needed, correct?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice rifle.  Thinking of mounting a pistol scope on mine.

I like the scout look
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#16]
All of the ammo mentioned so far is basically a bit better than minute of man accurate.  If you are going to make the thread about accuracy, you should try accurate ammo.  Any match and most hunting ammo, if your gun likes that particular ammo, is going to shoot better than the surplus or surplus grade stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I cannot stress enough changing the stock to a GI or wood stock. The foreend flexes.

I'd also change

1. Shim the gas system.
2. Use match or reload your own ammo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top