Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2015 10:28:35 PM EDT
Yes, I'm going to order some light and dark Tung Oil from the Real Milk Paint Company to finish some wood stocks. I noticed they also carry various waxes. I'm tempted to order one  but wouldn't know which.

Real Milk Paint Co. WAXES

Oh yeah, mostly Birch and maybe some Walnut. That's why I'm going to order both the light and dark Tung oils.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The clear Carnuba would be okay, but just save a lot of money and go to any hardware, most Walmart's and some grocery stores and buy a big yellow can of Johnson's Paste Wax.

This works just great and a can lasts forever.
I use it as a release agent when using epoxy.
Wax is the only thing you should use on holsters.
You can apply a coat to guns instead of oil or grease to prevent rust while storing.
If you apply a medium-heavy coat to a pistol frame area that's covered by the grips and don't wipe it off, just let it dry 20 minutes and put the grips back on, the frame won't rust from sweat and moisture that leaks under.
It works great on all wood, including rifle stocks.
If you apply a coat under the wood of a hunting rifle just like pistols, it won't rust in damp woods.
Salt water duck hunters often apply a heavy coat to their shotguns, warm it up with a hair dryer until it melts, then let dry and lightly wipe off the excess, their guns don't rust.

Did I say it's cheap and easy to find?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you getting 100% Tung oil or polymerized tung oil?  

And yeah, any Carnuba based paste wax will work just fine.  Yes, car wax

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you getting 100% Tung oil or polymerized tung oil?  

And yeah, any Carnuba based paste wax will work just fine.  Yes, car wax

View Quote

He said he's getting this: http://www.realmilkpaint.com/products/oils/tung-oil-wood-finishes/ which is claimed to be 100% pure tung oil.

I heard some success with Fomboy and I'm going to try that out myself even though I know it isn't a pure mixture.

I'm going to use Dem Bart Waxylene as a wax myself.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I asked as 100% tung oil is a pain in the ass to work with if you've never used it before.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I did a new Garand walnut stock 4-5 years back with 6 coats of raw linseed oil/orange oil mixure, it came out so nice I was afraid to screw it up by waxing it afterward, lol.  The wax i have, still unopened is called Gunny Paste from GarandGear.

Tung oil can be difficult, very climate touchy application, I have used it on a boat and teak furniture but never a gunstock.  Maybe a new project is needed!

Hking
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Bowling Alley Wax, White Diamond, Clear Paste Wax
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I used 100% pure tung oil from Real Milk Paint Company on my Birch E2.

This is the first stock I have every finished, and I learned that just a little tung oil goes a long, long way
... I was wiping off excess oil for days, and I have not put any wax on it. I have a second E2 that I will finish this fall.

Two coats of tung oil, followed by lots of hand rubbing to remove excess oil.

This picture was taken was taken a couple of months later, after the oil had soaked in a little better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top