Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2015 11:26:10 PM EDT
My socom 16's trigger is a bit on the heavy side. Is there a spring kit that is the M1A equivalent of JP Enterprise AR15 trigger spring kits?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My socom 16's trigger is a bit on the heavy side. Is there a spring kit that is the M1A equivalent of JP Enterprise AR15 trigger spring kits?
View Quote

http://www.davidtubb.com/chromesilicon-m1a
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Springs will not help with heavy trigger pull. To lighten pull you need to do a trigger job
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The spring on the M14/M1A/M1 does triple duty. It powers the hammer, it powers the trigger pull weight, and it powers the 2 stage operation.

But, fear not, it is completely adjustable with a flat stone and some honing oil. The trigger itself is not safe below 4 pounds of pull, however.

Start here: http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=37213
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to this thread, while I was drunk in an airport bar (don't ask) I purchased a full spring kit from Tubbs for my AR and my M1A.... and a Sadlak OpRod Spring Guide.

Anything I need to know about installing that thur trigger spring on my M1A?

I'm concerned with things you find out the hard way like the M1A's version of "changing the pistol grip on your AR improperly causes the selector lever detent spring to fly out into oblivion never to be seen again"
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The springs in the trigger housing aren't that bad.  You do need a firm grip and strong thumb to press them into place enough to get the pin in.   They can be a bit reluctant to cooperate but there really is no trick other than wishing you had a third hand.

An old worn spring from a parts kit will probably be better for weight than a brand new spring but it'll do nothing for any grit and creep in the sear surfaces.  A lot of hammers have been ruined by amateurs filing or stoning away engagement surfaces.  If you attempt to do it, just do a few strokes at a perfectly held angle with a stone and call it good.  An attempt to stone to perfection is where guys go too far and trash the parts.

ETA- If your parts are new or newly refinished I also take a moment and clean up some surfaces;  The spring plunger end that rides in the back of the hammer, I polish off the park and put a dab of grease there, I've also lightly polished the shaft that runs inside the spring as well as the inside of the plunger spring tube cover that rubs on the outer surface of the spring.  Very minor details that probably make almost no difference.

It took me a few minutes to find a good video for the assembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1KJkv7lo0

This is done by tonyben on the m14 forum.  He does nice videos.  I posted his because he doesn't just shoot a video of the assembly, he does a good explanation of the parts interaction and discusses how you can put it together wrong.  The first video I clicked on was allegedly some production outfit but the video was bad overall; no explanation, fumbling around trying to get it back together with his hands blocking the camera all the time.  Great production value.  More like someone who just barely got an M1a and figured it out on his own.   I hate youtube vids like that;  blind leading the blind thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top