Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 7:07:01 PM EDT
Local shop here has a used LRB M14 for $1295 OTD.  It's got a wood USGI stock and brown plastic/fiberglass/whatever upper part, with tight lockup.  Barrel is unmarked as far as I could tell (nothing in the spot behind the op rod or by the FSB), M14 flash hider, and the bolt, op rod, and trigger are all numbered (no makers marks that I could see...maybe an O or an H here and there).  Does this mean mostly USGI parts?  The finish on it is 95% +, has some handling wear.  Comes with 1 mag and a really shitty 1" 1907 type sling that would get trashed.  According to the shop they bought it from a widow who had held onto it or over 15yrs after her husband died, he bought it sometime prior to that.  Of course I'm skeptical of the story, but I can tell this gun doesn't have a ton of rounds through it.  The stock isn't perfect but it exhibits the character of what I'd expect from a surplus USGI stock.

Is this a good deal?  I don't know much of anything about M1A's/M14's, but I do love my Garands.  Always kinda wanted one, but if this isn't a worth while purchase I'll pass on it.  

<ETA> Discovered it was sent out as a stripped receiver to a FFL in MO.  It's got a Winchester bolt, possible Winchester barrel, I know I saw an H on some part of the trigger assembly, USGI stock, can't remember what was on the op-rod (possibly Winchester as well) sights are standard USGI but not Winchester.  What's this worth?

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Local shop here has a used LRB M14 for $1295 OTD.  It's got a wood USGI stock and brown plastic/fiberglass/whatever upper part, with tight lockup.  Barrel is unmarked as far as I could tell (nothing in the spot behind the op rod or by the FSB), M14 flash hider, and the bolt, op rod, and trigger are all numbered (no makers marks that I could see...maybe an O or an H here and there).  Does this mean mostly USGI parts?  The finish on it is 95% +, has some handling wear.  Comes with 1 mag and a really shitty 1" 1907 type sling that would get trashed.  According to the shop they bought it from a widow who had held onto it or over 15yrs after her husband died, he bought it sometime prior to that.  Of course I'm skeptical of the story, but I can tell this gun doesn't have a ton of rounds through it.  The stock isn't perfect but it exhibits the character of what I'd expect from a surplus USGI stock.

Is this a good deal?  I don't know much of anything about M1A's/M14's, but I do love my Garands.  Always kinda wanted one, but if this isn't a worth while purchase I'll pass on it.  

View Quote

To my knowledge I don't even think the company LRB ARMS is even over 15 yrs old.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it's a gunshop so I automatically assume they are full of shit with any stories.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the receiver marked with dot matrix printing(low serial number)?

LRB has been around, IIRC since the late 90's. Lou from LRB had dealings with MK Specialties & started out after that crashed & burned.

Sounds like you found a deal!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd have to say call LRB and ask when it was made.  

On the surface the story sounds way off.  I was on the M14 forum website when the first LRB forged receivers were coming on line.  Did they buy cast receivers before that?  I have never heard that before but I could be mistaken.   I'm thinking the LRB forged receivers have been around since around 2007 ish, so the 15 years in a closet story doesn't ring true to me.

At any rate the price sounds ok even if the story is likely to be wrong.  As they often say, buy the rifle not the story.  Actually it sounds like a really good price assuming it's a forged LRB.  The receivers alone are pushing a grand.  The dot matrix sn's were the first batch.  

Oh and if the parts with just numbers;  66118?   That's the Winchester cage code that appeared on bolts, barrels, trigger assemblies etc..  

The barrel with no markings in the "window'; could still be a USGI Winchester, they marked some at top dead center under the handguard as well as some window marked.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't recall a dot matrix SN, pretty sure it was a normal heel stamping.

Pretty sure that cage code was either on the bolt or oprod
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Receiver is under #1750, bolt is a Winchester

<ETA> Waiting on a call back from LRB.  They're looking up the SN to see how it left their shop.  All she could tell me over the phone is it's older than 2013 since she can't look it up on the computer.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Receiver is under #1750, bolt is a Winchester  

So what's this really worth you think?  
View Quote

Based on those two things alone I would probably FO.  Those parts alone bring close to what they are asking.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Left LRB as a stripped receiver. Sent to Allen at RE Arms Inc....off to the Google machine I go!!!

Turns out it's really RE-Armms Inc in Sikeston MO and didn't go to their gunsmith.  So who knows who built this rifle.  So is it still a worth while deal if you have no idea who built it?

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I would FO, but that is just me.

Max
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Great deal do it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Left LRB as a stripped receiver. Sent to Allen at RE Arms Inc....off to the Google machine I go!!!  

Turns out it's really RE-Armms Inc in Sikeston MO and didn't go to their gunsmith.  So who knows who built this rifle.  So is it still a worth while deal if you have no idea who built it?

View Quote

Honestly?

I'd be REALLY hesitant to buy a M1A/M14 type rifle that's a "too good to be true" deal, that was built by an unknown smith.

Lord knows if it was done right and fixing some issues can be expensive. I have a Polytech that had a USGI bolt swap done incorrectly. Now I need a new bolt and I have to get it fitted. That's a ~$500 issue, right there.

If you have access to a guy who knows the M14 platform and is willing to look it over, that might be the way to go. If not, you're rolling the dice, ESPECIALLY when brand new M1As may be had for around the same price and have a fantastic warranty.

The gun shop certainly hasn't test fired it and most likely doesn't have a "M14 guy" on staff, who has checked it out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Assuming it was just rec'd by their local FFL listed above, it is entirely possible it then went with the owner's parts to any of half a dozen good m14 smiths or it could have been home built.  

See if you can shoot it.  If it shoots, cycles, and hits the targets without the sight windage set the extreme ends then it's probably good to go.   My LRB's were barreled at LRB, one with their barrel, one with mine.  I built them up the rest of the way.   With one of the decent m14 build books it's not that bad.  It's a lot more detail work for a match gun.  I'd have to go slower but I could do it.  In fact I picked up a NIB McM match m14 stock off the boards for just such a project one of these days.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I managed to track down the original owner's spouse.  It was a garage build and her husband never could get it to work right.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Ask the shop if you can test fire it. Adjust price accordingly.
I came into a home built M1A on a FedOrd receiver. Gun shop admitted it was a problem child. Bought it for $800. Ended up being a short gas piston. If you tilted the rifle back and forth sometimes, you could hear the piston slide.
I replaced it and it functioned 100%
I sold it for $1400.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ask the shop if you can test fire it. Adjust price accordingly.

I came into a home built M1A on a FedOrd receiver. Gun shop admitted it was a problem child. Bought it for $800. Ended up being a short gas piston. If you tilted the rifle back and forth sometimes, you could hear the piston slide.

I replaced it and it functioned 100%

I sold it for $1400.
View Quote

I asked, they said no and it's sold as-is with no returns.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Walk away... In fact, run. For that money a known problem isnt worth it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Offer them a grand and pull it down for parts.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
No return and no proof of function.
That seems special in a negative kind of way.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
almost a necro post.  

Still might have been worth it,  The receivers sold for about a grand as of last I looked.  The kits go for about a grand.  

Hard telling what the problem was when the builder is deceased and the gun shop won't allow as test fire.  Shit if you had a decent guy at the shop, I'd have conned him into a range trip and lunch.  

First things I would have looked for (I say would have because this was 3, almost 4 months ago)
-gas cylinder; switched open and the port in the cylinder and the port and the barrel are lined up,  very easy to install a gas cylinder on too far pushing past the port to port window.  
-lubed right
-barrel on straight and not over or under timed.  
-headspace correctly, short headspace and a usgi barrel and your up against it.  reaming will only chip the bolt, and lapping the bolt too much goes through the case hardening.

Even if it didn't run I could make money on it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#20]
They are really nice rifles.  I have a LRB M25 with all USGI parts minus the barrel and the receiver.  It is an early model with the Dot matrix SN.  It shoots great, is reliable and gorgeous.  All the parts are either TRW or HRA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top