Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2015 2:27:39 PM EDT
So I bought a USGI synthetic stock last year for my M1A standard, but my dad, who trained with the M14 in the Marines, demands we get a USGI wood stock for it. What is the general consensus for stocks, as far as Birch vs Walnut, manufacturer, etc.  Preferably something with no dings, but definitely not collector grade, like $115 max probably. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I bought a USGI synthetic stock last year for my M1A standard, but my dad, who trained with the M14 in the Marines, demands we get a USGI wood stock for it. What is the general consensus for stocks, as far as Birch vs Walnut, manufacturer, etc.  Preferably something with no dings, but definitely not collector grade, like $115 max probably. Thanks guys.
View Quote

Look here.
http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/main.sc
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Here's mine for comparison. Listen to your old man; nothing beats the feeling of a walnut stock in your hands; feels warm, responsive; almost as if it were alive.

Plus is an M1A, man. Leave the plastics for the ARs.

As for types of woods, I'd go with Walnut, but if you find a Tiger Stripe birch stock - buy it...

http://m14forum.com/reference/91006-usgi-m14-wood-stock-identification.html
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Birch and walnut each have their own strengths and weaknesses.  To me, walnut is better looking.  Birch with figure is nice.  But plain birch is not as nice as plain walnut. But, these are subjective.  Being objective, birch is reputedly 20% stronger than, however, walnut resists compression better than birch.  Meaning, birch will ding/dent easier than walnut, and leaving the trigger guard latched will compress the wood faster.
Essentially, it comes down to what each person likes.

Figured Birch

Plain Walnut
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I've owned a couple of nice Walnut USGI stocks, but prefer a chassis stock system (SAGE EBR & Blackfeather "RS").
That said, I recently picked up a USGI E2 made out of Birch. It has some nice tiger stripes in it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Was the hand guard made of wood or plastic back in the day?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've owned a couple of nice Walnut USGI stocks, but prefer a chassis stock system (SAGE EBR & Blackfeather "RS").
That said, I recently picked up a USGI E2 made out of Birch. It has some nice tiger stripes in it.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/CQB-16.E2.1.JPG
View Quote

Loooove your rifle!! Does the aimpoint compM4 cowitness with your irons using the UltiMak rail?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Loooove your rifle!! Does the aimpoint compM4 cowitness with your irons using the UltiMak rail?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.athenswater.com/images/CQB-16.E2.1.JPG

Thank you

The M4 is sitting on a Scout Hand Guard (SHG) from M14EBR.US, it's lighter than the UltiMAK & runs cooler.

The M4 doesn't sit low enough, but the Micro series from Aimpoint does co-witness the iron sights perfectly.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Chuck, and I wish the USGI E2 was also available as a synthetic stock.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the wood stocks, but for price and effectiveness the USGI synthetic is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you going to sell your synthetic stock?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the black one that came from Springfield and a tan USGI one, not positive on selling either one at this point.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My SAI synthetic stock turned out to be a USGI in disguise.
I would not get rid of a USGI synthetic at this point as they are only getting more expensive.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I personally like the USGI synthetic stocks.  I think they are the best looking.  Mine doesn't lock up so tight though and it's one of those that was sprayed over with bedliner finish from Springfield.  But I like the profile of it and it makes the rifle a bit handier, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the grain on walnut better than birch. that's all I know about wooden stocks.

I've got a USGI fiberglass on my M1A currently though. I've been rough handling my rifle lately.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have the black one that came from Springfield and a tan USGI one, not positive on selling either one at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From your description of the two I'm wondering if they are even USGI.  How old is the rifle?  Springfield starting using a different synthetic stock in the last couple of years that some say is not all that stiff.  A while back they used to spray the bedliner stuff over USGI synthetic ones.  Probably to cover up imperfections.  At least that is the story I was told.  But USGI synthetics are not tan.  They're more of a dark brown.  Well, maybe not Dark dark.  Medium to Dark brown......  Or maybe you could say dark.....

I was trying to find a pic of one for you, but for some reason I'm having a difficult time......  

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

From your description of the two I'm wondering if they are even USGI.  How old is the rifle?  Springfield starting using a different synthetic stock in the last couple of years that some say is not all that stiff.  A while back they used to spray the bedliner stuff over USGI synthetic ones.  Probably to cover up imperfections.  At least that is the story I was told.  But USGI synthetics are not tan.  They're more of a dark brown.  Well, maybe not Dark dark.  Medium to Dark brown......  Or maybe you could say dark.....

I was trying to find a pic of one for you, but for some reason I'm having a difficult time......  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the USGI one seperately last year, from Fred's. Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I bought the USGI one seperately last year, from Fred's. Sorry for the confusion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweeeeeeeeet.  Does it lock up tight?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

The M14 was never issued with a wood handguard.  I had 350 of them as an Armorer in the 60's and all had a non-ventilated fiberglass handguard.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it, heavier obviously, but overall it fits well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The M14 was never issued with a wood handguard.  I had 350 of them as an Armorer in the 60's and all had a non-ventilated fiberglass handguard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Appreciate the info.

Mitch
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#22]

See, now you're really confusing me.  It was my understanding that a USGI synth was lighter than wood.  Maybe not though.....  My wood stock on my loaded is a big fat pig and I think it's rather heavy for wood because of the fat profile.  I'm sure a USGI wood profile is thinner and lighter.  But still, I thought the synthetic's were typically lighter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#23]
The synthetic feels lighter to me but never weighed one and compared it to walnut.

I'm going to be on the lookout for a GI synthetic for my JRA M14F later.

Going to enjoy shooting her wearing walnut for awhile....
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Do the usgi stocks have a slimmer profile than the Springfield loaded stock by any chance?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M14 rifles produced from late 1959 into the fall of 1960 were built with wood hand guard assemblies (P/N 7267021 FSN 1005-587-8382) and T44E4 butt plates. At least some of these rifles were sent to Raritan Arsenal in 1961 to get parts swapped out. These part changes were published as Modification Work Orders issued by Army Ordnance Command.  As M14 rifles were rebuilt at the depot level, T44E4 stocks, non-chromed firing pins and wood and slotted hand guards were replaced with M14 stocks, chromed pins and solid fiberglass hand guards.

References: a) U. S. Army Weapons Command, Headquarters. DMWR 9-1005-223 U. S. Army Weapons Command Depot Maintenance Work Requirements for Overhaul of the Rifle, 7.62MM, M14 and Bipod, Rifle, M2. Rock Island, IL: October 1971 b) Howe, Walter J. and E. H. Harrison. “The M14 Rifle.” American Rifleman October 1961: 27.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

See, now you're really confusing me.  It was my understanding that a USGI synth was lighter than wood.  Maybe not though.....  My wood stock on my loaded is a big fat pig and I think it's rather heavy for wood because of the fat profile.  I'm sure a USGI wood profile is thinner and lighter.  But still, I thought the synthetic's were typically lighter.
View Quote

Some data points (weight in ounces):

stock assembly, birch USGI 7790702 44.6
stock assembly, birch USGI 11010264 46.0
stock assembly, birch USGI 11010264 49.0
stock assembly, fiberglass USGI 11686428 46.2
stock assembly, fiberglass USGI 11686428 49.0
stock assembly, fiberglass USGI 11686428 45.4
stock assembly, walnut USGI7790702 41.8
stock assembly, walnut USGI7790702 44.4

11010264 is the "Big Red Birch" M14 stock.  All stock assemblies listed include complete metal hardware.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Great info.

Surprising that the synthetic is not lighter.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#28]
With the exception of Chinese Chu wood, every wood stock I've owned has been heavier than my GI synthetic stocks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
With the exception of Chinese Chu wood, every wood stock I've owned has been heavier than my GI synthetic stocks.
View Quote

Maybe Different's numbers are opposite because they were weighed before being oiled?????  And wood just soaks up moisture and then some oil and who knows what else and bam, it's heavier?  I have no clue.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I got both . They both have a place . I thought the synthetic felt lighter but that may not be the case
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Maybe Different's numbers are opposite because they were weighed before being oiled?????  And wood just soaks up moisture and then some oil and who knows what else and bam, it's heavier?  I have no clue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oil/Moisture adds weight, no doubt about that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top