Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2015 5:03:14 PM EDT
Was perusing the LGS, they were doing 25 percent off used military firearms. They had a IHC for 1200. With discount and adding tax it would be $963otd. Had them set it aside for me. The one guy is going to grab his gauges tomorrow to confirm readings before I commit to the Indian. IHC, LMR barrel with punch to right of "LMR", IHC knobs, IHC op rod. Stock has numbers inside, Circle P, and a square on left with the internal stamp missing/worn. IHC? Dunno. Bolt is a SA, as is trigger housing. F marked safety. Metal all in nice shape. Serial stamp looks a bit washed from use/life.

CMP still hasn't gotten to my order, I assume I won't make the cut. If the readings check out I might just FO.

Pics:

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
At that price , as long as it isnt a welded receiver or import, Id FO
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a IHC stock
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If it isn't shot completely out and isn't a reweld/import mark, that is a great deal and VERY likely better than any field grade you'll get in this CMP release.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

yep, that's a buy, just do your due diligence re welded receivers (look at the clip latch slot and the interior of the receiver for any tell tale anomalies)  I'd also double check the front edge of the receiver above and below the stockline for a spot weld on a drill rifle.  I doubt it looking at those photos but they welded rifles (from cut up demilled guns pieced together from two rifles), and the salvaged drill rifles put back in firing condition are out there.  i would not pay a premium for one of those.  

My first IHC that I ever saw was a weld up job,  IHC back half and a SAInc front half.  The park didn't take in a certain area right and the interior milled recesses were repaired but showed that they were remachined and the machining was decent but not arsenal like. The fact that the two ends of the op rod lug slot in the receiver had one type of machine mark and the center had a different was all I needed to know.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Checked it out again today.  The TE gauged 2.5.  Unfortunately, no ME gauges.  Does not appear to have any import stamps on barrel or anywhere else for that matter.  The receiver's front number is D6528291-x which to my understanding is correct for a 5.1mil IHC.  Does not look like a reweld to me after inspecting both sides of receiver inside/out (unless a true artist did it), and then the numbers being IHC period correct suggest I'm all-good here.  May go back one last time and drop a USGI M2 ball 30-06 just as a "poor-man's" ME gauge but I think this is a "GO" and got my tractor gun.  Going to leave it in hock on layaway for the time being.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If the barrel is in any kind of decent shape I dont think you can go wrong. Keep us updated
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a buy to me~!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely a good buy. Can easily be sold for probably around $1400 if it has an IHC stock and a lot of IHC parts. Just be sure it's not a reweld.

Edit* Just looked at the pics again and saw the julian date stock. That is a really good buy. Hell I've seen IHC stocks alone selling for $500+ lately.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys think it would be worth the effort to get the correct trigger group and bolt to make it all correct for $300ish?  Those are the only parts I believe aren't IHC on the rifle and are late 5mil+ SA parts currently. Wish the left side cartouche on stock was fully intact on the stock but still a good find nonetheless. The guy working the counter thought it was a mismatched barrel/receiver combo, incorrectly dated the serial. My benefit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Not unless everything else is IHC. If you can post cose up pics of all the internals , gas cylinders , buttplate etc I can help
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not unless everything else is IHC. If you can post cose up pics of all the internals , gas cylinders , buttplate etc I can help
View Quote

Alright, finally got back in to town, picked her up, and tore her down.  Did a bullet drop test in the muzzle and it "gauged" 1.5 from what I found on the internet and comparing.  NICE! Hopefully M1G or some of you others can shed some light and ID some of these parts, though...What I know:

Receiver - IHC Serial 5137559  1954
Barrel - LMR 2 54  IHC Punch marked
Stock - IHC, worn left stamp, Circle P wrist, Julian Date 1814A       181st day of 1954, June 30?
Bolt - 6528287 - SA  Heat Lot Z-1  5.8-5.9mil Springfield
Op Rod - D-6535382 IHC
Elevation Knob - IHC
Windage Knob - IHC
Gas cylinder plug - IHC
Gas Cylinder - No letter codes, no punch marks.  Concentric circles on stacking swivel screw.  - IHC.
Follower assembly - B marked, Extra cut, early/mid IHC
Safety- F marked, IHC correct
Trigger housing - Springfield
Hammer - Springfield
Bullet Guide - I believe IHC correct part  Same as depicted here IHC Stamped bullet guide
Follower arm - IHC - 2 stamped square punch marks left side
Follower rod - HRA - Has one sided small stamp line near the bend
Buttplate - WWII SA - Thanks, M1G

Here's what I don't know:

Front sight- .762 thickness ear to ear, WRA?  Maybe IHC?  Have read mixed reports on width and that IHC did not use only Dumbo Ears on 5mil rifles.
Op Rod catch assembly - No letter code, possibly early IHC pre letter?

Anything else I should know and be identifying?  First one I've actually cared to study.    Here's the pics, thanks for the help in identifying any additional parts.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]
IHC follower rod has two stamp lines.  One on each side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Good score.

For Christ's sake put some tung oil on that stock man....

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#14]
The buttplate is a WWII SA
Gas cylinder appears to beIHC
Check the follower rod carefully. It should have indents on both sides but one side the indent is always very light and harder to see. I have unissued IHC follower rods for sale if yours isnt IHC and you want to replace it
Front sight could be IHC. Back out the sight screw, does it have a crosshatch pattern on the side?
Nice looking nearly correct IHC rifle
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Not a hijack, I got into a conversation with fluffy and sent him some pics of my CMP SA Special, turns out the barrel may be original to the receiver, the bolt and trigger group are correct also. All I want is a SA rear site assembly as I've got an IHC rear site. As for all the other parts,I don't really care. The barrel is 3 '55 and the receiver somewhere between 55 and 57 according to Fluffy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not a hijack, I got into a conversation with fluffy and sent him some pics of my CMP SA Special, turns out the barrel may be original to the receiver, the bolt and trigger group are correct also. All I want is a SA rear site assembly as I've got an IHC rear site. As for all the other parts,I don't really care. The barrel is 3 '55 and the receiver somewhere between 55 and 57 according to Fluffy.
View Quote

Hum, werent the Specials supposed to be all correct rifles except fo the commercial stocks??? Maybe you have a Service Grade?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hum, werent the Specials supposed to be all correct rifles except fo the commercial stocks??? Maybe you have a Service Grade?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I rechecked my invoice and it says, M1 Garand SA Service grade special. Soooo...... It seems that Sir you are correct.  
Muzzle 1+, Throat 2+. It did come with a new stock. But I don't care, it looks great and shoot awesome.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, I rechecked my invoice and it says, M1 Garand SA Service grade special. Soooo...... It seems that Sir you are correct.  
Muzzle 1+, Throat 2+. It did come with a new stock. But I don't care, it looks great and shoot awesome.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a diffeence between the "ServiceGrade" and " Service Grade Special" From what your paperwork reads you should have a correct rifle with new production stock.
"SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture."]
"Service Grades" are mixmasters that may be commecial or USGI wood
If your rifle came with IHC sights you should have contacted customer service for a exchange. To late to do  anythi ng about it now.
If you want help with your rifle PM me so we dont derail theOP's post any further. I have many spare rear sights sets
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, got my CMP sent IHC w/ LMR FG.  LEAD rebuild.  Torn over whether I'm keeping it or not.  Wasn't exactly what I was after, albeit a nice rifle with good lockup and a LEAD rebuild which I'm currently researching as I hear they're sought after in their own right.  Was hoping it'd have a few parts to get the other one more towards correct.  Just my luck, it's a SA mixmaster rebuild.  Correct IHC LMR barrel with punch dated 4 54.  Even has the rebuild LEAD stamped triangle on stock.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#20]
You really cant "correct" a LEAD rebuild as its marked on the receiver legs
The 60's rebuilds are becoming very collectable on their own, used to be no one wanted them. The 1960's rebuilds are some of my favorite Garands. Many were never issued after being rebuilt. If you would decide to sell it you would have no trouble finding a buyer. If it were me I would hang onto it. Be very carfeul with the ink stamp on the stock they are easily rubbed off
Nice rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top