Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2015 9:40:34 PM EDT
Finally got a chance during this long and crazy rotation to buy my Loaded M1a.  So now I'm turning to those who have a lot more time and experience with this platform.  I've already got 5 20rd CMI mags on the way, but what all should I order for cleaning and maintenance?  Now for the big question where do I find one of those tiger birch stocks?  Everywhere I look is sold out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't take a lot.  A sling and ammo for starters.  I'd get a chamber brush and a set of drill bits for cleaning the gas system.  You need to support the gas cyl when you pull the plug, so either a padded vise/wrench or the dedicated gas cyl wrench.  Cleaning rod and a muzzle guide.

If you want to put something nice in it, get a nice spring guide and send the trigger group out for a trigger job (should be under $50).

Skip the bolt tools.  There a couple simple ways to get the bolt apart without it.

Skip the flash suppressor wrench; won't need that until you do.

Flash suppressor alignment gage; won't need that.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I carried an M14 for almost 3 years.  I bought mine in 1978 and have shot it and hunted with it till about 5 years ago when I got an old SA M1 Garand that just shoots rings around the M1A and as well, or better than my old 03A4.

Anyway, back to the questions.

1) for the most part I use a GI cleaning kit.  Always have.  Use it right and its no issue.
2) for lube, we used LSA in the Army and I used 3n1 oil for years before getting  the Garands and going to grease for them.  Then I started using grease for the M1A, too.  Marine grade bearing grease for increased resistance to water/moisture.
3) A GI canvass sling.
4) as many magazines as I could get my hands on many years ago, before the copy cat/fake GI magazine thing started
5) A GI synthetic stock, so I don't have to worry about the effects of moisture on the wood stock or POI movement due to the wood warping/swelling

I've only cleaned my gas system with brushes one time, about 8 years ago, before I went to a week long, 200 round per day training event.  Prior to that I just used powder solvent and patches to clean the inside of the piston, the inside of the plug and the cylinder itself.

I don't even clean the chamber except for once in awhile (I mean with the GI chamber cleaning brush).  I clean from the receiver to the muzzle so 1) all the crud goes out the muzzle instead of being pushed back into the chamber and receiver, and 2) the cleaning rod is under tension (not compression) and stays straight in the bore and doesn't rub the lands with the same force as if I was pushing the patch/brush through the barrel.  I don't use jags for that reason, they have to be pushed through the barrel.

If you want spare parts be aware that a good number of M1 Garand parts fit/work on your M1A.  The whole rear sight mechanism, the hammer, the hammer pin, the trigger, the trigger pin, the hammer spring and the sleeve (can't remember the name of it) and piece that is inside the spring and pushes on the hammer (can't remember the name of that one either).  Can't remember if the safety is the same or not.  Oh, the extractor from the M1A will work, too, but you may need to grind a little off the bottom tip of it if you want to shoot blanks in the rifle (at least that's what I hear.)  The extractor spring and detent should also work.  

The M1 Garand ejector/spring and firing pin are different and will not work on the M1A.

They can be great rifles.  Like I said, earlier.  I'd still be shooting mine if it wasn't for that darn M1 Garand that people think is a match rifle when they see the groups it shoots.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Finally got a chance during this long and crazy rotation to buy my Loaded M1a.  So now I'm turning to those who have a lot more time and experience with this platform.  I've already got 5 20rd CMI mags on the way, but what all should I order for cleaning and maintenance?  Now for the big question where do I find one of those tiger birch stocks?  Everywhere I look is sold out.
View Quote

Congratulations!

I agree with M1A4ME, a fiberglass/synthetic USGI stock is all you need. Tiger birch stocks fall under the list of wants. A tiger birch E2 is the stock I have wanted for a long time... I found one earlier this month. Do your homework, and check the listings on Gunbroker, and maybe Ebay daily. Good luck.

EDIT: Rick B over on the CMP Forum has over 1000 used GI stocks. Several are tiger stripe.

My E2 is new old stock that was made 50 years ago, and it's very dry.
It really needs a good bit of sanding to smooth it, and bring out the natural features.
This is how it looked after a few minutes of light sanding... I think it's going to turn out pretty good.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Skip the GI cleaning rod, Use a BoreSnake and a coated rod.
If it is a walnut stock, seal it with Tru Oil or BLS

Might want to get a GI extractor just in case....Springfield's have been reported to break by some...cheap insurance

Check out the Tony Ben videos.  Everything you need to know about cleaning, maintenance, lube, assembly / disassembly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top