Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2015 9:48:10 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend a shop to work on my carbine? I need a bolt replaced, and headspaced. I have the bolt. I'm afraid the chamber might need reamed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#1]

"Chuck in Denver" from the Jouster forums does great work. Here's his contact info:

Warpath Vintage, LLC

Phone: 720-841-1399

Email: [email protected]

I've also had good results from Military Small Arms in Georgia:

http://militarysmallarms.com/

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the suggestions. Have been looking at Orion 7.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
They're great too; bought my first M1 Garand from Tony back in 2000. Didn't realize they also did work on Carbines.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a used barrel you will not have to ream the chamber. If anything the chamber could be to long and need a different bolt. More than likely it will headspace but its always a good thing to have checked after swapping bolts
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a used barrel you will not have to ream the chamber. If anything the chamber could be to long and need a different bolt. More than likely it will headspace but its always a good thing to have checked after swapping bolts
View Quote

Agreed.  Before sending your gun off, first check the headspace with the new bolt.  If the head space is long, often times a round bolt may(MAY) fix that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone still rent gauges? What is the procedure? Stripped bolt, or complete bolt? Good if closes on a Go or Field gauge? Bad if closes on a No Go? I've read about using gauges, but never actually used them.

Edit;

Close on a Go, won't close on a No Go is good?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Close on a Go and does not close on a Field Gauge. There are some gauges that have a cut out that are made to work with a complete bolt but its best to use a stripped bolt
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
When installing a new barrel and cutting the chamber, one tries to cut so the bolt closes on the GO, and does not close on the NO GO.  However, with a used barrel, and changing bolts Close on GO, and not close on FIELD is good enough.  If it closes on GO, and doesn't close on NO GO that's even better.
Proper procedure is to field strip the gun, with the bolt and only using finger pressure, close the bolt on the gauge.  DO NOT FORCE IT.  Where it stops is where it stops.  Simple to do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice. I found Go, and No Go for rent. Haven't found a Field gauge for rent.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I am not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen headspace gages that require you to disassemble the bolt on an M1 Carbine.  

Have you checked with a local gunsmith?  They most likely have a large collection of headspace gages, and would probably just let you use them, since it only takes about five seconds to check.  Even if they charge you, you are willing to pay to rent anyway, so it doesn't make a difference.

If we knew where you were located, somebody might even offer to let you use theirs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen headspace gages that require you to disassemble the bolt on an M1 Carbine.  

\.
View Quote

All the commercial gages I have seen do not have the cut out and bolt needs to be dissasembled to properly check headspace
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All the commercial gages I have seen do not have the cut out and bolt needs to be dissasembled to properly check headspace
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

\.

The only thing I can say is you must not have ever used M1 Carbine gages.  They don't need a cutout like you are used to seeing for other calibers.  M1 Carbine gages have an extender which eliminates the need for the cutout.  They are designed to be used with the bolt fully assembled.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/headspacegaugesetfchambergonogoandfieldm1carbine.aspx
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I have rebarreled a few years ago .  Clymer ( best gages IMO) and bolt needs to be dissasembled
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... What is the procedure? Stripped bolt, or complete bolt?...
View Quote

Forster makes a quality set of gauges which eliminates the need to strip the bolt.  If someone breaks the bolt down for use with these gauges, they are an idiot since there is plenty of clearance.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate all of the information. I'm in Ohio. Would anyone be willing to loan a field gauge?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Chuck in Denver" from the Jouster forums does great work. Here's his contact info:

Warpath Vintage, LLC
Phone: 720-841-1399
Email: [email protected]

I've also had good results from Military Small Arms in Georgia:
http://militarysmallarms.com/

View Quote

ditto Chuck in Denver,,he did a lot of work on some of my carbines...does a great job
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top