Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2015 9:11:35 PM EDT
It's hard to determine any information about these rounds. I read around and it sounds like most people are saying Pakistan ammo tend to misfire but I don't see anything concrete. Anyone got any info on these rounds that aren't what one person said in a forum somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:41:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I used some paki 303 click boom click boom you get the idea and corrosive too. Better options out there unless it is dirt cheap. I would rather use my reloads. Any one you wants to shoot a garand on a regular basis long term reloading Is the only answer ( unless rich enough to buy m2 ball from the cmp by the pallet load!)
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, the POF .303 Brit was complete POS.  What made it worse was the Berdan primers, so the brass wasn't reloadable.  The only thing the ammo was good for was the old school Chordite sticks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought 16rds of it from Midway and it was the first ammo through my CMP M1. New shooter, first time with an M1...got a 6" group at 50yds.

Loaded up 16rds of Federal "M1 Garand" and halved my Pakistani group. Both loads were the same price...no way I'd buy the Pakistani stuff again unless I had to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bought 16rds of it from Midway and it was the first ammo through my CMP M1. New shooter, first time with an M1...got a 6" group at 50yds.

Loaded up 16rds of Federal "M1 Garand" and halved my Pakistani group. Both loads were the same price...no way I'd buy the Pakistani stuff again unless I had to.
View Quote

Pretty much this.  At well over 60 cents a shot, you'd be nuts (or just didn't know better) to buy this junk.  You can get HXP ball for the same price, and PPU new M2 Ball for the same price even.  This is crap ammo for beater guns that you don't care about shooting at things you don't mind missing.  It's WORTH about 20 cents a shot, and I'm being generous.  Stay away.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Just got some from AIM delivered for .57/round.   The cheapest bulk HXP from the CMP is .68 and the Federal Garand ammo is over a buck a round locally.  Haven't found PPU cheaper than the HXP,  maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

I'm going to try it for plinking ammo, it is what it is, not expecting match grade.  Will report back with a comparison to the HXP and Federal I have on hand.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Why spend $$$ on junk ammo when for a alittle more you can buy quality modern ammo that is reloadable?? You dont reload? No problem, you can easily sell the brass for .10-.15 cents each
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just got some from AIM delivered for .57/round.   The cheapest bulk HXP from the CMP is .68 and the Federal Garand ammo is over a buck a round locally.  Haven't found PPU cheaper than the HXP,  maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

I'm going to try it for plinking ammo, it is what it is, not expecting match grade.  Will report back with a comparison to the HXP and Federal I have on hand.
View Quote

You're right, the PPU price has creeped up, and looks like it's scarce this week on top of that - it's going for over 70 cents right now.  I look forward to your report.  

Myself, I still have doubts on this being a good investment.  For comparison, Wolf 30-06 is going for about the same price, and has the advantage of being new, not corrosive, and I can't imagine any less accurate or consistent than the reports I've heard on the Paki stuff.  

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/30-06-ammo-145gr-fmj-wolf-military-classic-20-round-box.html

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot about 100 rounds of the POF 69 ammo from Midway through my CMP SG M1.  
This stuff is NOT corrosive(I tested first by igniting the primer on a nail in wood).
Also, I was having no problem hitting a 16" plate at 100 yds while standing.
No problems with feeding or ejecting either, and no hang fires or any issues like that.

This stuff is fine, a lot of internet rumors, and old posts about a different ammo, not the POF 30-06.

I will add.....I do not really shoot for groups, so I cant comment on just how accurate this stuff is or isnt.  But like I said I was hitting plates out at 100 yds easily and reliably.
If you shoot for tight groups, I probably would go with something proven for that.  For plinking at the range, hell yea this stuff is fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Stopped by the range on my way to work, yeah I know it's Sunday, I work in a restaurant and the hours are all over the place.  The range was crowded and I was pressed for time so I only got off a few groups to get a first impression, not any kind of statistical conclusion.

Ammo is in great shape, no corrosion and only slight tarnishing.  As post above said, no hang fires, no function issues.  Ejected to same location as HXP, fired cases looked fine.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/blhoeft/DSCN22891_zpszlmt34sf.jpg

HXP clips I grabbed were from two different years, hurrying again, and the POF was all '69.

Fired at 100 yds, front and rear bags, light wind

Extreme spread
HXP average:  3.22"
POF average:  3.54"

Composite 10 shot extreme spread
HXP:  4.46"  (taking out the vertical dispersion between groups possibly due to differences in loads lot to lot from '77-'82:  3.44")
POF:  4.57"

Federal American Eagle M1 ammo usually groups around 2 1/2" from the bench for an 8 round group and I have not tried anything better, this rifle is still pretty new to me.

Again, as post above states the ammo is reported to be non corrosive, there is a pretty thorough write up about it on Wideners site.  I didn't clean today, and I'll be watching carefully for rust.  Another advantage I see is that the bullet is non-magnetic for ranges that care.  Also, copper jackets are supposed to put less wear on the barrel.  I shoot steel with bi-metal jackets in my AR's, but I think re-barreling a Garand might be a little more costly.

I'm going to shoot some more, and if all goes well, buy some more if I can get it at the right price.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stopped by the range on my way to work, yeah I know it's Sunday, I work in a restaurant and the hours are all over the place.  The range was crowded and I was pressed for time so I only got off a few groups to get a first impression, not any kind of statistical conclusion.

Ammo is in great shape, no corrosion and only slight tarnishing.  As post above said, no hang fires, no function issues.  Ejected to same location as HXP, fired cases looked fine.

HXP clips I grabbed were from two different years, hurrying again, and the POF was all '69.

Fired at 100 yds, front and rear bags, light wind

Extreme spread
HXP average:  3.22"
POF average:  3.54"

Composite 10 shot extreme spread
HXP:  4.46"  (taking out the vertical dispersion between groups possibly due to differences in loads lot to lot from '77-'82:  3.44")
POF:  4.57"

Federal American Eagle M1 ammo usually groups around 2 1/2" from the bench for an 8 round group and I have not tried anything better, this rifle is still pretty new to me.

Again, as post above states the ammo is reported to be non corrosive, there is a pretty thorough write up about it on Wideners site.  I didn't clean today, and I'll be watching carefully for rust.  Another advantage I see is that the bullet is non-magnetic for ranges that care.  Also, copper jackets are supposed to put less wear on the barrel.  I shoot steel with bi-metal jackets in my AR's, but I think re-barreling a Garand might be a little more costly.

I'm going to shoot some more, and if all goes well, buy some more if I can get it at the right price.

View Quote

Thank you for this - this was an excellent post.

To summarize:
You shot this in a Garand?  And with that rifle, you saw, or normally see 5 shot groups perform like:
Fed M2: (2.5" extreme spread)
HXP: 4.5"
POF: 4.6"

From that data, it looks to me like the HXP and the POF give effectively the same performance in a Garand, which is definitely worth noting, considering the cheaper price.  Though, and this is where Average to Center is handy, it looks like the HXP tends to group tight and then have the "flyer in every clip", that it has that reputation for.  While the POF tends to be more dispersed overall.  In general, this would give a slight nod to the HXP for being the better ammo, since it's generally tighter, with only the flyers making the extreme spread as the POF.  For the price difference, most shooters would find that acceptable for a plinker round.  It's also good to hear the POF ammo isn't corrosive after-all.

As to the Fed M2, if you are shooting that in a Garand, I suspect that 2.5" is approaching the limit of the iron sight Garand rifle/shooter, more than the limit of the ammo.  It's hard to find a 1 MOA capable Garand.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
This was a pretty limited sample,  and yes it is a CMP service grade Springfield M1.  Muzzle 1+, throat 2+ on rebuild barrel,  receiver 377, xxx.  I have peened the barrel to tighten up the gas cylinder and front sight.

That size group is strictly 5-8 shots, so no reload, and done from a concrete bench with rifle bagged front and rear.  I like to use targets with a bull as small as I can clearly see, aim small miss small and all that.  Those targets were also from a rare almost windless day.

That said, with a sling, prone I can reliably hit my 12" plate at the 200 yard line with the HXP, aside from flyers and my failures.   I feel like I got a great rifle just before the price increase last year.  My ability to use open sights are the limiting factor, not the rifle.  I much prefer scoped shooting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to mention I do have a Garand Gear ported gas screw in the the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top