Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2015 7:45:44 PM EDT
Having some interesting issues with poor ejecting from my M1A.  I am getting rounds that just barley dribble out to the 1o' position.  I would say 50% of a full magazine will eject to the 1o' and the rest will eject normally to the 3o'.  I don't get very many stoppages but do get an occasional round that ejects and gets caught by the bolt carrier.  

I've run the gamut of ammunition all with similar results.  German DAG, Federal 7.62x51, SA, PMC, etc...

The mags I am using are Springfield Armory 20 rounders.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unload the firearm, dis-assemble, clean thoroughly, and lube it properly.  Check that gas tube plug is tight.
Check inside of stock to see if there are wear indications on the stock where the op rod is rubbing against the wood.  If so, carefully remove enough material from the stock so that no interference occurs.

Try all this, and report back.
View Quote

Sorry, I meant to say that I gave it a thorough cleaning/lubing and field stripping.  I'll double check to see if there is any issue with the oprod rubbing and the gas plug is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Having an extra set of bolt parts on hand is a good idea even if you don't need the ejector spring yet.  

ETA- just for clarification on the background.   is this a new gun, new to you?   Or have you had this gun running well in the past?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having an extra set of bolt parts on hand is a good idea even if you don't need the ejector spring yet.  

ETA- just for clarification on the background.   is this a new gun, new to you?   Or have you had this gun running well in the past?
View Quote

New to me.  Judging by the barrel wear and bolt wear, it had less than 2k rounds through it.  

It ran fine over the summer but it was pretty warm when I shot it.  I don't think I shot the gun on a day it was under 80 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I can only add my experience that sounds like it's related to your problem OP.

A few years ago I was trying various gas pistons trying to improve accuracy. One of the pistons was a Sadlak NM piston that has the groove in it.

The ejected rounds basically fell out and went mere inches away.

Based on that the only thing that comes to mind is a possible problem with your gas piston or piston chamber, but it's late for me so ...
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If you had it running well before I would lean toward a cleaning issue.  

I'd take the gas piston out, clean it, clean the gas cylinder, clean the inside of the gas plug too.  Clean the gas shut off screw oriface. Leave all them bone dry on the inside.  If you lubed it you might be gumming up the lube with powder forming a dirty paste.  If you greased the interior parts for storage like I do, you must remember to clean them of the oil and grease before the next range trip.  Excess bore solvent can also migrate into the gas system via the shut off screw.  One is often cautioned to clean the guns upside down in a cradle to keep the solvent in the bore.

You might also take a look at your ejector spring.  Tear the bolt down and look at the spring, are there still gaps showing between the coils?  I like to compare old ones springs with a new unused one, I was especially doing that with Garands as they were all over the map in wear from CMP.  

That's all I got if your op rod is rubbing on the stock.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was doing the exact same thing you describe. After re-lubing and scrubbing the gas piston/port, nothing worked. I bought a small torque wrench and tightened the plug to spec and have not had a single problem since. Sounds weird but it worked for me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I just had a bit of an epiphany.   Did you perchance take your gas cylinder completely off and then put it back on, shoving it all the way down with the gas cylinder lock and then crank the plug?

If so you check you gas passage, you may have moved the gas cylinder over the barrel port.  A small bent wire to check the orifice alignment before installing the gas plug.  If it's plugged you likely have to back the gas cylinder lock off a turn.  Basically you need to align the barrel hole and the gc hole.  You can crank it down too far passing the ports or partially misaligning them.

That would certainly cause you a problem after a take down and cleaning.

Raf mentioned putting it on correctly but he didn't explain it.  If that's the problem don't feel bad, i did it too when I had got my M1a.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry this took me so long to reply.  I really appreciate everyone's replies and wanted a chance to try everyone's suggestions.  

I went ahead and did another thorough cleaning and lube.  I noticed there was a good amount of brass on the underside of scope mount (I don't have a scope mounted on it but never replaced the scope mount part where stripper clip guide goes).  

I removed the scope mount part and it runs like a champ now.  It looks like it was deflecting brass down into the chamber.  Not sure why it wasn't doing that before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top