Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2015 4:41:02 PM EDT
So I am thinking about getting my dad a m1a/m14. Dad is Vietnam vet who went to basic with the m14. I have recently put together a ar10 for him per his request he really likes it even tho we are having some growing pains with it. We took it to the range last Saturday and the fine gentleman beside us had an m1a dad got a little Google eyed and struck up a conversation and ended up getting to shoot it( as did I ) her referred to it as getting to see an old girlfriend. (Thanks by the way to whomever let us shoot that wonderful rifle)
Long story short I would like to purchase and give to my wonderful father one of these rifles. I had a friend who had one a while back that fell apart on its first range trip it was a Springfield armory  but I know nothing about the m14 so please help me decide what to get dad. This purchase will be within the next year but not too soon ( funding ) bestow upon me your wisdom

Eta only interested in walnut stocked  original type, no scout no squad no sage or fiberglass
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield Armory M1As are good, I only have experience with the NM versions and they drive tacks. If anything is wrong with them, SA's legendary customer service will take care of you.

Better would be the Fulton Armory versions, but rarer/more expensive I think.

If you can find a Polytech M14 with a properly headspaced TRW bolt, that would be great too, as they have forged receivers.

I've been out of the M14 game for a while, so maybe someone else will add to or correct me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a Springfield M1A Scout Squad a few weeks ago. It's got the Walnut stock.

Here's a pic the day I brought it home:

Here it is a few days ago:

Still have to get it to the range to zero the scope. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm also considering adding a Walnut handguard to it; just not sure how I'd cut the hole for the scope mount.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a new Springfield Armory Standard model with the walnut stock and added a military sling, a 20 round mag, and replaced the flash suppressor with one with a bayonet lug. It would be close to what he trained with.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The one above this post looks right has there been issues with Springfield armory bolts in the past a friend had the bolt fail on its first range trip with me I would like to avoid such problems do folks switch out for a mil bolt ? Please excuse my ignorance and maybe my friends was a fluke ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one above this post looks right has there been issues with Springfield armory bolts in the past a friend had the bolt fail on its first range trip with me I would like to avoid such problems do folks switch out for a mil bolt ? Please excuse my ignorance and maybe my friends was a fluke ?
View Quote

The only issues I've heard and there was a poster a few weeks ago whom had his extractor break on his first range trip with his.

Fulton Armory sells the USGI Extractor that you can get to replace the reproduction extractor that Springfield uses. I've been meaning to pick one up myself but haven't yet.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The only issues I've heard and there was a poster a few weeks ago whom had his extractor break on his first range trip with his.

Fulton Armory sells the USGI Extractor that you can get to replace the reproduction extractor that Springfield uses. I've been meaning to pick one up myself but haven't yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can buy three for that price at www.odcmp.com in the E-Store surplus parts section.
Or, if you are one of the "Price is no object" people, Fulton has good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy an older Springfield M1A with some USGI parts in there. Sometimes a solid deal can be had if you keep a close eye on online forums.

Here is mine:

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Need to determine your budget.  Polytechs and Norincos can be found in the 850 to 1000 range.  A new Springer will be mid teens before all is said and done. Used Springer; I've never seen one.  Fulton, James River, etal, you'll be north of 2k.

I got my Polytech about three years ago for $850, very nearly new in the box.  I consider it one the better gun buys I've made.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I like, here is mine

Quoted:
Buy an older Springfield M1A with some USGI parts in there. Sometimes a solid deal can be had if you keep a close eye on online forums.

Here is mine:

<a href="http://imgur.com/SHN62rp" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/SHN62rp.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I would go with a James River M14 or an LRB.  Springfield M1As have a spotty reputation regarding Quality Control, and one can expect their cast extractor to disappear fairly soon in use.  I have no personal knowledge about LRBs, but I read nothing bad about them.  I have a JRA based M14  built up using a surplus USGI kit, and it functions wells.  I also have several Polytechs, and used to have one Springfield M1A.  The Polytechs work well, buts their finish is not up to the others.  If I was to make a list of what I would get it would be:
#1.  James River
#2.  LRB
#3. Polytech with USGI bolt
#4.  Springfield M1A

Here is my JRA M14.  I went with the retro look using the wooden handguard. Just to be different.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#11]
They are all pretty good.

I list them this way

#1. Smith Enterprise
#2. LRB
#3. Poly Tech / Norinco with USGI bolt conversion performed by SEI or other experienced armorer.
#4. Springfield M1A built with GI parts, especially the extractor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#12]
A usgi bolt in a Springfield M1a is a pretty basic and reliable setup.  If you have a bit of patience, you can scour the internet and gun stores and find that unseen gem.  That's what I did.  1993 or 4 M1A, all usgi parts, even the barrel is 1963.  $1500 otd.  Shoots better than my old M1a Loaded.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Unless you are willing to spend a ton of $$ and/or a ton of time finding a gem, a Springfield standard M1A plus a USGI extractor for $12.00 (PS15SAPW) and spring and plunger for $5.00 (PS1617SAPW) from CMP is the most straight forward way to give your dad what he wants.  No, it won't have a bayonet lug but does he really want one?  I doubt it, I didn't, however, if you do they are available but you'll need to also get a special wrench to get the nut off that holds it on.
Get him the standard one rather than a scout squad or shortened one because that's what he trained with in the Army.  Bud's has them in stock for $1,392 HERE.  CMI 20rd mags are good products as they make the GI mags for the Gov't and you can get those for $25ea HERE.  Get him a cotton, 1¼" wide M14 GI sling (we didn't have any leather slings back then) at some place like Brownell's or MidwayUSA.
Also, Springfield ships all their M1As with 'NM' front sights and 'NM' capable rear sight bases so he can add a NM hooded rear aperture from Brownells or MidwayUSA and have a nice rifle that shoots better than his did in the Army; mine does.

ETA:  Don't bother with a wood handguard, the Army never issued M14s with them as they originally tested them with wood but found out that it got scorched quickly so they redesigned it to a fiberglass unit.  The fiberglass one Springfield uses is the one your dad had on his M14.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Unless you are willing to spend a ton of $$ and/or a ton of time finding a gem, a Springfield standard M1A plus a USGI extractor for $12.00 (PS15SAPW) and spring and plunger for $5.00 (PS1617SAPW) from CMP is the most straight forward way to give your dad what he wants.  No, it won't have a bayonet lug but does he really want one?  I doubt it, I didn't, however, if you do they are available but you'll need to also get a special wrench to get the nut off that holds it on.

Get him the standard one rather than a scout squad or shortened one because that's what he trained with in the Army.  Bud's has them in stock for $1,392 HERE.  CMI 20rd mags are good products as they make the GI mags for the Gov't and you can get those for $25ea HERE.  Get him a cotton, 1¼" wide M14 GI sling (we didn't have any leather slings back then) at some place like Brownell's or MidwayUSA.

Also, Springfield ships all their M1As with 'NM' front sights and 'NM' capable rear sight bases so he can add a NM hooded rear aperture from Brownells or MidwayUSA and have a nice rifle that shoots better than his did in the Army; mine does.

ETA:  Don't bother with a wood handguard, the Army never issued M14s with them as they originally tested them with wood but found out that it got scorched quickly so they redesigned it to a fiberglass unit.  The fiberglass one Springfield uses is the one your dad had on his M14.
View Quote

This is the best possible advice that you could get.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#16]
$2,000 for a GI version is silly.  Buy Springfield's standard version like I said above and it you must, add a flash hider with a bayonet lug for $50 HERE. Yes, it will come with a better front sight so boo hoo but you'll be in it for $1,450 instead of $2,000.  Get up at 2:30 am to a loud horn blaring, rush out to the street in you underware and rifle, have some big guy scream at you for being stupid, and it will feel just like basic all over again.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#17]

If you're looking at an SA, Inc. M1A, there's a bolt recall, as well as one on the trigger group.  These are pretty old, but won't hurt to keep an eye out if you're in the used market.

Here's some info:  http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=142592
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top