Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2015 7:06:06 PM EDT
I debated making the purchase for a few years mainly due to the hefty price tag, but I finally pulled the trigger (pun intended) and bought my first M1A.  I felt like a kid on Christmas morning as I exited the local gun shop.  Then, after waiting almost a whole month for a range trip I summed up my first M1A experience with one word: regret.  That's right!  Five shots later the extractor was broken resulting in a FTE.  Obviously I didn't do enough research before purchasing the rifle because if I would have known this to be a common problem I wouldn't have bought it in the first place, but I guess I was and still am ignorant in regards to the M1A rifle family.  Later that evening I searched Google for reports related to broken extractors; I was surprised to find numerous forums and reviews addressing the issue. Honestly I didn't expect to have this kind of problem with my rifle because I thought Springfield had a notable track record in regards to rifle production.  I guess my assumption is misguided.

I understand I didn't pay anywhere near the amount of money that I would have paid for a Fulton Armory M14/M1A, but I still find it irksome to be unable to consider my Springfield a worthy investment let alone a dependable rifle.

" />
" />
" />

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't let Springfield's poor extractor spoil you on an otherwise decent weapon.  Get them to send you another extractor and in the meantime, get an M1 or M14 for a replacement.  Keep the Springfield for a spare.

M14 Extractor
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't let Springfield's poor extractor spoil you on an otherwise decent weapon.  Get them to send you another extractor and in the meantime, get an M1 or M14 for a replacement.  Keep the Springfield for a spare.

M14 Extractor
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Fired hundred of rounds out of mine and nothing has broken yet. Just do as others have said here and give SAI a call, then get a USGI extractor, install it and enjoy the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Springfield has requested that I send my rifle and a magazine back to their main facility via FedEx for warranty repair.  They claimed they will cover the cost of shipping both ways in addition to making repairs or replacing any parts free of charge.  I have no experience whatsoever in regards to returning a weapon to its manufacturer for repairs, so it makes me feel uneasy about placing it into the hands of strangers.  I know several of you have suggested buying and using a USGI extractor in lieu of the Springfield extractor, and your proposal is logical, especially since they intend to use the same part.  Any additional thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Springfield has requested that I send my rifle and a magazine back to their main facility via FedEx for warranty repair.  They claimed they will cover the cost of shipping both ways in addition to making repairs or replacing any parts free of charge.  I have no experience whatsoever in regards to returning a weapon to its manufacturer for repairs, so it makes me feel uneasy about placing it into the hands of strangers.  I know several of you have suggested buying and using a USGI extractor in lieu of the Springfield extractor, and your proposal is logical, especially since they intend to use the same part.  Any additional thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  

View Quote

Springfield is good to go on warranty returns.  I bought a new M1A scout in February.  It had a very loose rear sight.  Called Springfield, they emailed a FedEx tag.  It took about five days to get to them after I dropped it off at the hub and about a 4 day turn around.  All on Springfield's dime. I used the box the rifle came in to send it back.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#8]
One would think Springfield Armory would be aware of this M1A problem.

Installing a USGI extractor seems to be the post purchase solution.

Quoted:
Don't let Springfield's poor extractor spoil you on an otherwise decent weapon.
Get them to send you another extractor and in the meantime, get an M1 or M14 for a replacement.  
Keep the Springfield for a spare.

M14 Extractor
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If it were me, I wouldn't bother with sending it back.  Just get a USGI extractor and be done with it.  I still have the stock one in mine, but I have USGI one's on hand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#10]
A used usgi extractor is a good buy? How long do they last? Serious question for my Socom 16
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#11]
rjohn1,

IM me your mailing address and I'll mail you a usgi extractor.

You can't count on SA to not install another that will fail so quickly and you deserve to be able to enjoy that fine rifle.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't see where he said it was used.  It's a used gun?

I still stand by what I said.  But maybe get a new recoil spring too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I didn't see where he said it was used.  It's a used gun?

I still stand by what I said.  But maybe get a new recoil spring too.
View Quote

It's brand new.  I even registered it with SA in order to receive three free 20 round magazines.  Those were delivered to my doorstep a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Springfield uses cast extractors.  What you have there is one of the two things that usually happens with them.  They break, or launch into space.  If you send it back to Springfield, they will install another cast extractor.  Get a USGI Garand or M4 extractor.  If you can find one of the Beretta made extractors, they are excellant also.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I decided to play it safe and ship the rifle back to SAI for warranty repair; however, I do plan to purchase a USGI extractor just in case the factory replacement bites the dust for a second time.  I have a very strong feeling I will be relying upon the USGI extractor, though.  Thanks to all of you for your input.  I have considered everyone's feedback as valuable advice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree; I'll be sure to order a few of each.  Should I order a USGI bolt, too?  Are there any other weak parts in the rifle besides the extractor that I should know about ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I agree; I'll be sure to order a few of each.  Should I order a USGI bolt, too?  Are there any other weak parts in the rifle besides the extractor that I should know about ?
View Quote

Personally, I wouldn't order a bolt.  Because then one runs into the issue with head spacing it.  Nothing wrong with having a complete bolt guts set around.  The only issue that comes to mind, that might affect you, is if you decide to scope it.  SAI receivers sometimes have issues with the left side of the receiver where the scope mount goes.  The keeps one from being able to zero the scope, There are a few mounts, the Bassett among others, that take care of this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
FWIW back in the mid-90's when cleaning my nib Bush rifle after the first range session the bolt roller fell off.  My local dealer who sold me the rifle replaced the bolt roller, realigned the op rod guide, and shimmed the gas cylinder for free. Never had another issue.  Runs perfect, and would throw 10 rounds of Federal (?) 155 grain Palma loads into about 4 inches at 200 yards with the Burris 2.75X scout scope.  YMMV...

Paladin

ETA: another strange tidbit is that my dealer ordered me a Bush rifle.  When talking to SA about the s/n, they told me it had originally been built as a Scout model, and was reworked to the Bush configuration at the factory before shipment to the distributor.  And I later ended up buying the Scout mount from SA.  After several years in the Scout mode, I returned her to the Bush style and never looked back...
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Real shame you had this happen with your first Springfield and first range trip. Really really unlucky.

After you get the USGI extractor in, set aside a nice long range session for your Springfield and let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
rjohn1,

You can't count on SA to not install another that will fail so quickly and you deserve to be able to enjoy that fine rifle.
View Quote

CTRob65 is a good guy

( ain't many of us left )...
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#24]
More on extractors from the m14 forum if you are interested.

http://m14forum.com/m14/114095-extractor-falling-off-while-shooting-4.html

Gus Fisher
MGySgt USMC (ret)
August 16th, 2012

Having been a Marine RTE or NM Armorer since 1974, having been a Marine Armorer on THE Marine Corps Rifle Team since 1975 for the first time, having been the Instructor of OJT's (Apprentice Instructor) since the early to mid 80's and having run the NM M14 Rifle Rebuild Section in the mid/later 80's - I can tell you we ALWAYS ensured the bottom of the post of the extractor did not go below the bottom rounded surface of the bolt and ground or stoned them if they did. I can tell you that even with brand new GI M14 extractors, it was somewhat common to find the post was too long. BTW, the difference between the M1 and M14 extractors was not in the length of the post, but rather in the slight clearance of the extractor lip when the M14 extractor came out.

BTW, the LAST Modification Instruction for the M1 Garand extractor calling for modification to a similar lip style as the M14 extractor was published in 1968 and that was 10 years since the M1 Garand had been replaced by the M14.

----

Here are the factors that ensure the extractor doesn't get popped out of the bolt:

1. I put this first because I try to get it across how absolutely necessary it is. The bottom of the post of the extractor MUST NOT stick below the bottom curved surface of the bolt. Actually to be on the safe side, you should actually be able to see the bottom of the extractor post is slightly and noticeably above the surface of the bottom of the bolt.

2. The depth and condition of the hollowed out area on the extractor that the extractor plunger fits into. Worn extractors will show the nice rounded hollow gets wallowed out. When you see that, replace the extractor BEFORE it begins popping out. Also, recent SAinc extractors have this rounded hollow/indented area WAY deeper than standard. I don't work for SAinc., but I speculate they did that to ensure the extractors won't pop out as easily. Of course, it makes it a bytch to get the extractor out of the bolt without ruining either the extractor detent or spring or both. I don't care for that modification SAinc did to their extractors for that reason.

3. The condition of the Extractor Spring and Plunger. A worn spring WILL allow the extractor to pop out. You don't see it nearly as often, but a worn extractor detent will do the same thing. If you compete with a Garand or M14, I strongly advise putting in a new extractor plunger and spring EVERY year before the shooting season begins. CHEAP insurance to make sure the rifle functions correctly. For those who don't shoot their rifles as much, every other year to every three years may be the time periods you need to change these parts. Yes, on rifles that are hardly shot much, it can go up to five or even ten years in some few cases.

4. The condition of the Ejector spring and plunger. If there is not enough tension of this plunger on the extractor, it can also allow the extractor to be popped out. This is one area they improved upon Garand's earlier design. The smaller diameter and length of the spring for the Garand ejector will wear soner than the M14 ejector spring. They beefed up this spring for the selecive fire feature of the M14, but it still makes it a longer lasting spring in semi auto only rifles. For someone who competes with a semi auto M14, you should change the Exjector spring and plunger about every other year and less often depending on how much less you shoot a commercial M14.

5. The condition of the lip of the extractor that snaps over the rim of the cartridge case. On GI extractors, when that lip gets rounded over through extreme wear, it will allow the extractor to be popped out easier during firing. NORMALLY though, the extractor will wear out in other areas first when using GI or PB extractors. However, some commercial extractors COME with that lip more rounded as made and they will not last as long before they start popping loose. (Actually, this is part of the reason I believe SAinc began making the hollow indent for the extractor plunger deeper - along with the fact they thought deepening it would be a good idea so they would not wear out the hollow indent as soon.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Order a couple and a couple of plungers and springs.  You are lucky yours didn't go sailing.
View Quote

This. I haven't had to use my GI spares, but it's nice to have them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I debated making the purchase for a few years mainly due to the hefty price tag, but I finally pulled the trigger (pun intended) and bought my first M1A.  I felt like a kid on Christmas morning as I exited the local gun shop.  Then, after waiting almost a whole month for a range trip I summed up my first M1A experience with one word: regret.  That's right!  Five shots later the extractor was broken resulting in a FTE.  Obviously I didn't do enough research before purchasing the rifle because if I would have known this to be a common problem I wouldn't have bought it in the first place, but I guess I was and still am ignorant in regards to the M1A rifle family.  Later that evening I searched Google for reports related to broken extractors; I was surprised to find numerous forums and reviews addressing the issue. Honestly I didn't expect to have this kind of problem with my rifle because I thought Springfield had a notable track record in regards to rifle production.  I guess my assumption is misguided.

I understand I didn't pay anywhere near the amount of money that I would have paid for a Fulton Armory M14/M1A, but I still find it irksome to be unable to consider my Springfield a worthy investment let alone a dependable rifle.

http://<a href=http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/shootsteel11/IMG_0333%202_zpseletghus.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/shootsteel11/IMG_0332%202_zpstrzcfntp.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/shootsteel11/IMG_0331%202_zpsimon7nxm.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

It sounds to me like you desired to have a M1A other than a SA version but you went with the SA for cost reasons.

I think the lesson learned here is to always go with your guts. Your gut was telling you to get something else, but you went with the cheapest you could afford. That's not to say SA is bad by any means, but I am saying always go with your guts. As the old saying goes, "Buy once, cry once." Now you will always doubt your weapon, and that is never a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, you asked if there are any other weak points n the M1A.

If you have a factory synthetic, most will say they are flimsy and maybe looser on lock up..  Which might not be conducive to good accuracy. I don't know because mine is wood and it is tiiiiight.

But a USGI wood or synthetic stock is a good tbhing.

But yes, some USGI bolt parts is really a good idea and you would've learned how to break the bolt down while installing.  A new bolt is not necessary and would require gunsmithing, as pointed out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, you asked if there are any other weak points n the M1A.

If you have a factory synthetic, most will say they are flimsy and maybe looser on lock up..  Which might not be conducive to good accuracy. I don't know because mine is wood and it is tiiiiight.

But a USGI wood or synthetic stock is a good tbhing.

But yes, some USGI bolt parts is really a good idea and you would've learned how to break the bolt down while installing.  A new bolt is not necessary and would require gunsmithing, as pointed out.
View Quote

I have the factory walnut stock, and it feels pretty rigid.  I will have a USGI extractor thanks to CTRob65, and I do plan to purchase one more as well as the other bolt guts just to be on the safe side.  Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Okay...I have had this EXACT thing happen.  You need to check your CHAMBER.  My chamber was incorrectly reamed and it had a circular ring that had been cut in the chamber wall by incorrect cutting method.  This caused the brass to swell into the ring.  The rifle would try to rip the cartridge from the chamber and it WOULD....until the extractor had been stressed so much it broke.

Get a flashlight and try, at various angles, to look into the bore.  This is NOT easy on M14 type guns.....use a mirror if you have to....I bet you find a ring cut just behind the shoulder of the chamber neck.

Have Springfield replace your barrel and put a new extractor in it.  This will solve the problem IF you have an incorrectly cut chamber.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I think he sent it back, but that would not be good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
rjohn1,

View Quote

Do this, OP. Don't waste your time sending it back to SAI just to get another commercial extractor.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Now that was super nice CTRob.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Picking up an M1A this weekend. Placed an order for a couple USGI extractors in advance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#34]
He is very generous, and I am truly grateful.  It arrived in the mail this afternoon.

Quoted:
Now that was super nice CTRob.  Very nice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Okay...I have had this EXACT thing happen.  You need to check your CHAMBER.  My chamber was incorrectly reamed and it had a circular ring that had been cut in the chamber wall by incorrect cutting method.  This caused the brass to swell into the ring.  The rifle would try to rip the cartridge from the chamber and it WOULD....until the extractor had been stressed so much it broke.

Get a flashlight and try, at various angles, to look into the bore.  This is NOT easy on M14 type guns.....use a mirror if you have to....I bet you find a ring cut just behind the shoulder of the chamber neck.

Have Springfield replace your barrel and put a new extractor in it.  This will solve the problem IF you have an incorrectly cut chamber.
View Quote

I've got an 18" SAI Bush barrel with that exact problem.  Of the 3 SAI barrels I have/had, two had problems where cases would stick.  One at least once a magazine, and the 18? barrel was every single round.  I gave up at about 13 shots.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've got an 18" SAI Bush barrel with that exact problem.  Of the 3 SAI barrels I have/had, two had problems where cases would stick.  One at least once a magazine, and the 18? barrel was every single round.  I gave up at about 13 shots.
View Quote

I had the same problem with my Scout, Springfield called it a rough chamber.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M14 Extractor

This

This again.  I have a few year old little shot SA M1A.  Shot it at Appleseed a couple of months ago and going again in April.  I ordered the parts from the above mentioned link and replaced my trigger pack parts and bolt guts using GI part.  I also replaced the springs with their CS springs and splurged on the the Sedlak guide rod.  I watched the TonyBen videos for direction.  Also did some wet sanding / filling and refinished using TruOil (8 coats total) then two coats of paste wax.  .
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I have four m1as that have lots of range time and no issues to report.

This is my first visit to this section in a while and I'm reminded again I need to beef up my spare parts stash!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#40]
This thread has me writing a list of spare parts I need for mine. I only took the gun to the range once and put 60 rounds through it without incident but reading this thread convinced me I should have some spare parts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't figure out what the heck their problem is.  It's not even a chrome lined barrel ( not that that should really make a difference ) I mean...how hard can it be?  I wonder if rifles have this issue?  Noone of mine ever have, nor any of my friends.  Just weird.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#42]
My rifle returned from the SAI factory last Tuesday with a new extractor.  I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it since the initial range trip a few weeks back, but this upcoming weekend looks promising.  Thanks to CTRob65 I have an extra USGI extractor on hand just in case the replacement fails a second time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:48:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I have put 1000s of rounds through my SOCOM, not a hitch.  Sorry to hear OP, Springfield will make it right...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The above is why I would send to whole gun back.  The extractor breaking may only be a symptom of a larger problem.
View Quote

Exactly!  It's on their dime and the turn around time is good.  SA should go over the entire weapon not just replace the extractor.  The little time you loose the weapon will be nothing compared to the disappointment you will experience with another failure.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

My rifle returned from the SAI factory last Tuesday with a new extractor.  I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it since the initial range trip a few weeks back, but this upcoming weekend looks promising.  Thanks to CTRob65 I have an extra USGI extractor on hand just in case the replacement fails a second time.
View Quote
So....howd it shoot OP?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top