Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 9:30:12 PM EDT
Hello, I have a 1943 M1 that I have been restoring and tuning. Just received my op rod back from Columbus Machine and now the gun looks and works nice except for the clip not ejecting after the last round. It pings, but you have to lift it out. The funny part is that it will eject a full clip about a foot high when depressing the clip latch, so the spring is plenty strong. The clips I am using are new from Brownells. I have no other clips to try, so do you think that could be the culprit? Also the rifle has been re-parkerized inside and out, so maybe a break-in period may be needed? Thanks for any suggestions
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try to get a hold of a USGI enbloc clip and try it. Additionally, the repark may have a little to do with it and it may take some time and use to make the clip eject properly. I would still try a USGI clip to see what it does.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure your end blocs are US made and not the Greek ones. I run USGI (stamped BRW) clips on my 43 SA without a hitch.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure your end blocs are US made and not the Greek ones. I run USGI (stamped BRW) clips on my 43 SA without a hitch.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/DSC00319.jpg
View Quote

^Very NICE rifle man!

I wouldn't just automatically blame the clips though.  I wouldn't NOT try others either though.

I might blame the internals being re-parked, or possibly a timing issue.

I would look at your OP rod catch.  If the small parts got parked, they could now be out of spec, or it could be worn.  

I just successfully used 16 surplus POF(pakistani) stamped clips with not an issue.  EVERYONE said they would cause nothing but problems.  The point is, even the shittiest clips should work in a correctly functioning/lubed M1.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No such thing as Greek enblocs. Greek HXP came on USGI ,and German enblocs
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Check tip of the clip ejection spring.  Does it have a flattened end, or is part of it missing.

I had something similar going on with one of mine one time.  Every so often the clip ejection spring would slip by on the inside of the clip and not toss the clip out after the last round was fired.

If the spring is slipping by on the inside of the clip it would be up against a round when the clip is loaded but after the rounds are pushed upwards by the follower there wouldn't be anything in the middle of the clip for the spring to push against.

Those springs aren't expensive but they're a pain to get in.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hello, I have a 1943 M1 that I have been restoring and tuning. Just received my op rod back from Columbus Machine and now the gun looks and works nice except for the clip not ejecting after the last round. It pings, but you have to lift it out. The funny part is that it will eject a full clip about a foot high when depressing the clip latch, so the spring is plenty strong. The clips I am using are new from Brownells. I have no other clips to try, so do you think that could be the culprit? Also the rifle has been re-parkerized inside and out, so maybe a break-in period may be needed? Thanks for any suggestions
View Quote

It appears Brownells now sell a different brand of enbloc. They used to sell AEG but now they sell something else. When you look at the back of the enbloc, does it have the letters AEG printed on it? If not, then I recommend buying some AEG brand instead as they are the original enbloc makers. You can buy them off fulton armory: http://www.fulton-armory.com/clip8roundusnotimport.aspx Honestly the only thing that Brownells sells that is great for the garand is their tub of 130-A Lubriplate grease. Otherwise stay away from them for garand parts.

Now as far as the ejection issue it sounds to me like a weak safety spring. Does your safety works fine as well? Like when you engage the safety do you hear a audible "click" sound?

Changing the clip/safety spring is very easy but it does require some mechanical knowledge of the trigger house. Remember this is a common issue with old garand. As with every firearm you own, you should always have a backup set of springs. I recommend buying every spring that your garand could potentially fail on: op rod spring, clip spring, and hammer spring. While it takes 1000s of rounds to weaken these springs, it's always nice to have a back up that you can simply drop in once your other ones are worn. Plus they're cheap.

First make sure you didn't do anything stupid like put the follower in wrong. Go to the link I gave below and make certain your rifle is assembled correctly. Although it is impossible to do so, just double check since it can be possible to do if you smash certain pieces into place.

Let's look at this guide: http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/striphtml/detailtriggergroup.html

In that guide, if you look at the picture, the clip ejection/safety spring is the thing that looks like a really weird paper clip all bent out of shape. In this picture: http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/striphtml/detailtriggergroup3.html the very last picture at the bottom of the page shows what the clip ejection/safety spring looks like.

All you have to do is replace that and you're good to go. You can buy a brand new spring from fulton armory as well: http://www.fulton-armory.com/clipejector.aspx

While you're at it, buy this book: http://www.fulton-armory.com/them1garandcompleteassemblyguidebuildyourowngarand.aspx
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
yes the clips are AEG, and the safety works solid both directions with an audible click. I fully disassembled and parked the rifle myself, so trigger group parts changing Is no problem. The clip eject spring is flattened on he end and a little ragged. I ordered a complete spring kit from Orion7 and whether or not that fixes the issue, I'm sure the rifle could only benefit in every other area from new springs. I don't know which springs are original or worn so I will just change them all. I picked up some surplus GI clips from the gunshow and will try them. Thanks for all the good info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top