Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 12:00:05 PM EDT
Like I posted, last night, I just obtained this rifle and I was wondering where the best place to find a more original looking stock would be?  This one has been refinished and seems too bright.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Here is the rifle currently:

Here is a picture of a stock that I find attractive:

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like you have a birch but its hard to tell if its GI or new manufacture that someone refinished.

The pic you have is a walnut stock. Boyds and the CMP sell new ones. You'll have to apply some tung or BLO to finish a new one out (they come dry)

Surplus stocks are getting hard to find and carry a premium. You can check ebay or gunbroker for those.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Tung oil, or one of the linseed oils.  If you want a stock to look really GI, or original, use Boiled Lilnseed Oil or Raw Linseed Oil. The Linseed oils oxidize, or change color, to the reddish brown color of the USGI stocks.  RLO, food grade Flaxseed Oil is the same thing, turns color quicker than BLO.  Tung oil does not change color.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a picture of my CMP M1 that came with new wood. I put many coats of hand rubbed boiled linseed oil, probably 10 or more I forget now.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That reddish stock color OP has looks like the current birch stocks. The stain is not very attractive, IMO.
I have used hardware store stain remover (basically MEK and lacquer thinner) to "get the red out", then re-stained to get a darker walnut color.
I also left one unstained and just finished with BLO to get a very striking blonde stock. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but I like it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That reddish stock color OP has looks like the current birch stocks. The stain is not very attractive, IMO.
I have used hardware store stain remover (basically MEK and lacquer thinner) to "get the red out", then re-stained to get a darker walnut color.
I also left one unstained and just finished with BLO to get a very striking blonde stock. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but I like it.
View Quote

This.

Why not strip it and go from there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It is a lot of shop time, and at the end of the day you have a stock that isn't optimal.

If you just want to dull down the shine, you can make that happen with steel wool and/or Gunny Paste (Google it--you can make some pretty easy).

If you want a new production walnut stock, there are several directions you can go in.

If you can swing the money, Dean's Guns sells a fitted/unfinished stock set for $200.  DGR Fitted/Unfinished...

Basically, he works the stocks for match accuracy.  He does a good job.

Dupage Trading is the company who supplies stocks for the CMP.  I like to get their unfinished stock sets, and do my own fitting, staining (Minwax Red Mahogany) and then hit it with either BLO or (REAL) Tung oil.  

DUPAGE Stocks ($100)...

You might consider sending the sanded/unstained stock off to TR Findley and having him apply the correct WWII cartouches.  It's a nice touch.   TRFindley...

I like to stain after the cartouches are struck.

Dupage also sells finished stocks--they're only $15 more, and come with handguard metal pre-installled--and that might be an option if you aren't particulalry handy, or don't have a bench.  Just get some cheesecloth and spend some quality time rubbing it down with boiled linseed oil.

DUPAGE FINISHED STOCKS $119...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Like I posted, last night, I just obtained this rifle and I was wondering where the best place to find a more original looking stock would be?  This one has been refinished and seems too bright.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Here is the rifle currently:

<a href="http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Punisher0822/media/ACC555FF-BCFB-420B-AD35-DB108173E0C3_zpsjm7ivgbo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b582/Punisher0822/ACC555FF-BCFB-420B-AD35-DB108173E0C3_zpsjm7ivgbo.jpg</a>

Here is a picture of a stock that I find attractive:

<a href="http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Punisher0822/media/245_zpskaw9tc3b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b582/Punisher0822/245_zpskaw9tc3b.jpg</a>
View Quote

I took the easy way out. My CMP Garand came with a new walnut stock. I degreased it and used 3 coats of tung oil finish for a more durable finish. Came out similar to what you seem to like.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top