Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:40:52 PM EDT
CMP ammo is feeling like less and less of a value.

HXP is decent ammo, I guess--but not at the price point.

Has anybody shot the PRVI Garand ammo?

I'm curious to hear how it stacked up accuracy-wise against the HXP.

PRVI GARAND AMMO...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only shot about 100 rounds of it.  I got decent groups, but it's definitely not match ammo.  But, I am new to the Garand.  In fact, I have only shot 100 rounds total through it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]

it's a little on the slow side:

But no accuracy tests to date..

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
CMP ammo is feeling like less and less of a value.

HXP is decent ammo, I guess--but not at the price point.

Has anybody shot the PRVI Garand ammo?

I'm curious to hear how it stacked up accuracy-wise against the HXP.

PRVI GARAND AMMO...
View Quote

You are right.  HXP is no longer the deal it once was.  It's a 40 year old machine gun ammo with a steel jacketed bullet, that some consider to be at the upper range of high port pressure for M2 ball - and maybe a bit beyond, depending on who you talk to.  It is hot ammo, I know that.  It's not very accurate.  It was worth it at $0.35/shot.  It's not worth it at >$0.60/round, when you can new ammo for the same price.

The PRIVI is new production ammo at the same or lower price than CMP.  For a copper jacketed bullet that on it's worst day is the same accuracy as the best lot of HXP on it's best day.  It's not match ammo, but it's pretty good based on what I've seen.

Stop buying HXP - go with the PRIVI.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Shot some Greek HXP from a 1903A3, my father and I both thought it was hot stuff.  From a Garand not as noticeable.  I can't recall where I got that ammo from, it wasn't bought from CMP.

I can't really attest of PPU accuracy(never shot it from a bench for accuracy) but its all been good stuff, no problems at all, shot in 30-06 and 5.56 calibers.  I just got in a few boxes of it from Midway, ordered when it was $13.99 a box a few weeks back.  The Hornady Garand loads and Federal American Eagle Garand loads, along with the PPU Garand loads, all seem about the same to me except for price...

Merry Christmas Y'all!

Hking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top