User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 3:15:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
SACRILEGE!  But very nice....

Ray
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Some carbine handguards have a tendency to move around quite a bit.  What ensures this rail is firm and stable, providing repeatable accuracy, when installed?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I think a set up like that is superior for home defense, short range night time defense, than an AR platform rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a long "under" bracket under the barrel that has four screws on each side which appear to pretty effectively secure the rail in position on the barrel.
Also, four set screws on the top of the rail opposite the under bracket press a equally long aluminum bar down against the barrel for additional "clamping" and (I believe) additional heat-sink from the barrel to the rail.
Sorry I did not take photos during installation.
I may do that later if there is interest.
However, Amega Ranges web site shows this pretty well.
View Quote

So this is set like the mount on the m1a scout
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good.  Is that a pot belly stock sanded down a bit.  No?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#9]
dont know how i feel about this, but to each their own
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Aaaah, here I thought you meant a USGI rock ola.  

I still like it.  Especially if it runs good.  Do you have any USGI 30 rounders to go with it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree.  Planning on buying Amega Ranges off-set flashlight mount for mounting to that series of threaded holes you see on the forend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I think a set up like that is superior for home defense, short range night time defense, than an AR platform rifle.

I agree.  Planning on buying Amega Ranges off-set flashlight mount for mounting to that series of threaded holes you see on the forend.

I started a thread in GD a while back about .30 carbine Vs 556 (with quality ammo) at HD distances.

There was no consensus.

I can't seem to find the thread, though.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Is that mount available separately, for use on GI carbines?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

As another owner of both (as I'm sure there are a number here), I agree that the 30 cal round and M1 Carbine platform are much better suited for a HD role than an AR carbine when both are equipped with a light.  The M1 Carbine is significantly less bulky, lighter, has the same capacity (30rds), more easily maneuverable, and is more comfortable in the hands of smaller people and wives than even a lightweight AR carbine.  

Further, I consider the 30 Carbine round better suited for HD than the .223/5.56 as it is both larger diameter, heavier weight, has a much quieter report, less flash, and less likelyhood of exiting the dwelling than the .223/5.56, especially if loaded with HP bullets.  One only need to ensure that the M1 Carbine has a M2 mag release installed to ensure reliable feeding of 30 rd magazines and it's good to go.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As another owner of both (as I'm sure there are a number here), I agree that the 30 cal round and M1 Carbine platform are much better suited for a HD role than an AR carbine when both are equipped with a light.  The M1 Carbine is significantly less bulky, lighter, has the same capacity (30rds), more easily maneuverable, and is more comfortable in the hands of smaller people and wives than even a lightweight AR carbine.  

Further, I consider the 30 Carbine round better suited for HD than the .223/5.56 as it is both larger diameter, heavier weight, has a much quieter report, less flash, and less likelyhood of exiting the dwelling than the .223/5.56, especially if loaded with HP bullets.  One only need to ensure that the M1 Carbine has a M2 mag release installed to ensure reliable feeding of 30 rd magazines and it's good to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Owner of both here as well, and agree with the above.

(But don't tell the young guys that. They still believe the gunshop commandos' stories about the .30Carbine bouncing off of heavy winter clothing... )
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Correct, not a GI.
New made by Green River Armory using the Rock-Ola name.
No 30-round magazines yet.
Waiting on the next local gun show.
Note I have cut off the bayonet lug so I can take this to NY with 10-round magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still like it.  Especially if it runs good.  Do you have any USGI 30 rounders to go with it?

Correct, not a GI.
Note I have cut off the bayonet lug so I can take this to NY with 10-round magazines.

I'm not dissing you, but maybe something to think about, auto ordnaces sells early type reproduction parts.  You probably could've bought a type 1 style barrel band and not have to cut up a good one.  But they are pretty prevalent.  Just a thought though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
The ones on the site all have a giant damn laser engraved billboard on them. Is there a way you requested one without it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm not dissing you, but maybe something to think about, auto ordnaces sells early type reproduction parts.  You probably could've bought a type 1 style barrel band and not have to cut up a good one.  But they are pretty prevalent.  Just a thought though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, not a GI.

I picked up a new Auto Ordnance carbine in early 2012 for a shooter (my 1943 NPM is too valuable to shoot) and it's really been a good gun so far with over 3K rds down range.  Much more accurate than my GI carbine and reliable as snot.  It comes in an early 1944 style (flip rear sight and no bayo lug) but with a M2 style mag catch so you can use the 30rd mags reliabily.  I'm sold on mine, however, I swapped out the flip rear sight for a Type II adjustable one so I can shoot it out to 200yds with decent accuracy at the range.

My 5' 0" wife likes it better than my G23 and won't even consider my AR middy as her HD choice because the M1 Carbine is so much more compact, light weight, and fits her better.  I taught her to shoot 44 yrs ago on her then new Ruger 10/22 and so she feels right at home with a 30 Carbine.  She's a good shot with the G23 (my CCW piece), however, she says she's just more comfortable with the carbine.  I'm considering getting another Auto Ordnance for her own as we both like shooting the M1 Carbine at the range.

As to ammo, I handload for everything I shoot and have loaded some Speer 110grn HPs for it.  Now I just load it up with Rainier 110grn plated bullets with H110 powder for everything as they seem to expand well in my informal tests.  Maybe not as good as HPs but because they have soft lead centers, they'll flatten out if they hit something solid which is good for keeping them inside the house if used for defense.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I spelled that wrong.  Ooops.  Auto Ordnance.  Sorry bout that.

I always fully intended to use my Carbines as my go to gun but I could never get them to run.  But I think I figured out the problem. When I first got one and my Dad got one, I replaced the op slide springs with ones from Fulton.  Well it turned out the Fulton ones weren't even to spec.  I had maybe 300 rounds through mine, so I know it wasn't from wearing it down.  So I got some orion 7 springs but haven't shot it yet since I got them.  I need to because I'd probably fall in love all over again.  

My issue is that although I actually prefer a traditional stocked weapon, the pistol grip on the carbines is like a different dimension than any other pistol grip on any gun.  It really puts my hand further back then it should be unless you are totally choking up on it to the point that it feels awkward.  I see a lot of people shooting it with their shooting thumb over to their strong side, not wrapped around it all the way. And I'm assuming maybe it's dealing with that.  Although I've seen people do that with Garands too.  Or they might put their thumb right on top of the rear of the receiver on a garand.  

Anyways, it really is a deal breaker for me.  Just feels all wrong.  A garand or M1A stock feels SOOOO good, I wish the carbines were dimensionally the same.  It might be that my stock has been sanded down and thinner than what was originally spec'd but I think a lot of them just have a longer reach.  Which makes no sense to me.  Why did they make that reach longer compared with a Garand?  Weird.  

I don't like the flip safety either.  It's not horrible but I think I'd just prefer a push button.  But I can see how the mag catch could easily be mistaken for it, since they are so close.  

As far as the round goes.  I think people that think it's anemic aren't really looking at the whole picture.  I think it's a fair comparison to say it's in the ballpark of a .357, albeit the lighter bullets.  But dang.  I think it would do the job real well.  And has.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
SACRILEGE!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

As far as the round goes.  I think people that think it's anemic aren't really looking at the whole picture.  I think it's a fair comparison to say it's in the ballpark of a .357, albeit the lighter bullets.  But dang.  I think it would do the job real well.  And has.
View Quote

Complaints about the effectiveness of the 30 Carbine round as a long
range, main battle rifle caliber may be justified as it's essentially a
skinny 357mag in an 18" barrel, however, that has nothing to do with
it's effectiveness in a HD environment.  The Mil Spec for 'CARTRIDGE,
CALIBER .30, CARBINE, BALL, M1' in TM 43-0001-27, Section 4-3 lists the projectile weight @ 111grns with a velocity @ 53ft from the
muzzle of 1,900fps which translates to an energy of 890ft/lbs at 53ft
from the muzzle, far longer than the distance in any room in any home
except a mansion.  

Compare that energy to the bullet weights and
muzzle energies of SD ammo fired from any handgun in 9mm, 40s&w,
and 45acp and you'll note that the 30 Carbine round is significantly
more powerful than any of them by a wide margin.  Now include the fact
that both commercial and handloaded 30 Carbine ammo can be had with SP,
expanding bullets and the M1 Carbine becomes a potent HD weapon.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't know why, but at bowling pin shoots at the unlimited/carbine category at my gun club, the "hitability" with the M1 over any other long gun I've tried, AR, AK, other 9mm PCC's is just insanely good.
View Quote

IMO, because it's insanely easy to shoot. It’s got the piston-driven-system advantage over blowback carbines, and a reduced-recoil advantage over the AR, AK, etc. I thought about buying one in the late 70’s when I shot a friend’s, but didn’t. Finally bought two of them in 2001 or so, in a group buy at $159-$169 each. Frankly wish I’d bought more; they’re surprisingly good shooters with more capability than many folks realize. I tried to buy one off a friend at Rotary this past year, but even though he doesn't shoot it, he won't sell it because it's the first gun his son took a deer with.

One thing I love about the new, uber-tactical, high-tech .300 Blackout SBR carbines that are all the rage nowadays, is that they’ve finally (and I'm sure, accidentally) replicated the .30 carbine platform. Simply one more example of “the more things change, the more they stay the same”, or if you prefer “there is no new thing under the sun”. What if you told someone about your new, awesome little carbine, telling them this:

it’s a semiauto that launches .308-caliber, 110-grain bullets at ~2,000fps, has very mild muzzle blast, and even uses commonly-available mil-spec magazines.

Would you be describing your fantastic, new, super-cool .300BK SBR, or would you be describing your 70-year-old M1 carbine that’s the same weight as, and actually has a shorter OAL than, a little ruger 10-22 rimfire?
We're describing both, actually.

That said, what brand is that scout mount, and where could I find info on it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice, I'd love to try one with the forward red dot.  As quick handling as the little carbine is that has to make it even better for defensive type shooting.  If I could find a new made gun that was reliable for a decent price I'd definitely go this route.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I just picked up an Auto Ordinance M1A1 Paratrooper Carbine on Christmas eve. The plan is to put a rail and Aimpoint Micro on it just like your setup with a 30 round mag. I have several purchased before CO's stupid new ban.

Just like the previous poster, I have a 1944 Winchester with all original parts and about 95 percent finish that we love to shoot but its just getting too valuable to run a lot of ammo thru any more.

The Paratrooper with the red dot should be just the ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top