Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 7:14:05 PM EDT
I have a couple sealed battle packs of this.  The one I opened had some lite corrosion.  There was no pink corrosion and all of it went "bang." During inspection, I didn't see any rounds that worried me.  

My question is, do you think I ought to leave the rest of the ammo in the battle pack, or pull it out and separate it into clean (to be saved in an ammo can) and corroded (for the range) or just leave it in the pack?  What have others done.

Thanks for your input.

UPDATE: I pulled it out of the battle pack and segregated 1/4 of it as untrustworthy due to excessive tarnish or pink on the outside.  I've had happier thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by "pick corrosion"? Did you carefully examine the battle pack for punctures or tears? I would think the ammo in a sealed plastic ammo pack should last damn near forever. If you suspect that the rest of you ammo might be corroding in the battle packs, I suggest opening them and checking it out. You can always repack the ammo in cans with dessicant packs. Some people use vacuum sealers for long term storage.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you mean by "pick corrosion"? Did you carefully examine the battle pack for punctures or tears? I would think the ammo in a sealed plastic ammo pack should last damn near forever. If you suspect that the rest of you ammo might be corroding in the battle packs, I suggest opening them and checking it out. You can always repack the ammo in cans with dessicant packs. Some people use vacuum sealers for long term storage.
View Quote

My mistake.  It should have been "pink" corrosion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not familiar with pink corrosion either. Most corrosion I've seen on old ammo is green. I don't know what to tell you about your ammo.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]
German Dag and Men ammunition suffers from a reaction from acidic cardboard which forms both green and pink corrosion.

The green tarnish isn't bad and can be tumbled off.

The pink corrosion is bad and can lead to pinholes through the brass casing. I have a bunch of pink corrosive cartridges and only shoot them in a bolt gun.

OP - If all your Dag is of the same year you should be gtg, however considering Dag/Men is next to impossible to find now I think it's a good idea to take the rounds out of the cardboard and store them in an ammo can with desiccant.

I went through all my DAG/Men a while back. '94 Men was a bad year and I saw a lot of pink corrosion.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
German Dag and Men ammunition suffers from a reaction from acidic cardboard which forms both green and pink corrosion.

The green tarnish isn't bad and can be tumbled off.

The pink corrosion is bad and can lead to pinholes through the brass casing. I have a bunch of pink corrosive cartridges and only shoot them in a bolt gun.

OP - If all your Dag is of the same year you should be gtg, however considering Dag/Men is next to impossible to find now I think it's a good idea to take the rounds out of the cardboard and store them in an ammo can with desiccant.

I went through all my DAG/Men a while back. '94 Men was a bad year and I saw a lot of pink corrosion.
View Quote

CTRob65 is on the mark with what he wrote.  There is no pink corrosion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The corrosion you normally see on brass is green and it is called Verdigris.  Verdigris is corrosion of the metal caused by exposure to moisture, grease, oil and other contaminants.  PINK may be from a red dye on cardboard box used for storage.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The corrosion you normally see on brass is green and it is called Verdigris.  Verdigris is corrosion of the metal caused by exposure to moisture, grease, oil and other contaminants.  PINK may be from a red dye on cardboard box used for storage.
View Quote

No the pink is corrosion and is actually eating through the case. I have seen cases cut open that had it and its on the inside as well as the outside.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No the pink is corrosion and is actually eating through the case. I have seen cases cut open that had it and its on the inside as well as the outside.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What M1G wrote.  I saw the pink corrosion on another site, but I didn't post it because I don't want to get in trouble with this site.  And, yes, it showed that the pink had eaten through the casing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a couple sealed battle packs of this.  The one I opened had some lite corrosion.  There was no pink corrosion and all of it went "bang." During inspection, I didn't see any rounds that worried me.  

My question is, do you think I ought to leave the rest of the ammo in the battle pack, or pull it out and separate it into clean (to be saved in an ammo can) and corroded (for the range) or just leave it in the pack?  What have others done.

Thanks for your input.
View Quote

UPDATE: I pulled it out of the battle pack and segregated 1/4 of it as untrustworthy due to excessive tarnish or pink on the outside.  I've had happier thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#10]
SRRhodesia - You could probably decrease your losses by polishing the heavily tarnished rounds provided there is no pink corrosion on them.

I used a Scoth-Brite pad followed by 00 steel wool to "scrub" off the green tarnish. There will still be some black on the case, but they will fire fine in any semi auto.

I put some "scrubbed" cartridges in an ammo can with desiccant hoping that the tarnish wouldn't reappear, but it did within a year or so. It seems like if there's any black tarnish on the case whatsoever the green corrosion will soon follow. I think there's a way to get rid of the black, but I can't remember how.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#11]
i've shot the ugliest of the corroded DAG without probs
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#12]
A guy I know fired one of the pink corroded rounds and the hot gasses coming out of the round scarred the chamber  badley . He had the barrel replaced becuase of this
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A guy I know fired one of the pink corroded rounds and the hot gasses coming out of the round scarred the chamber  badley . He had the barrel replaced becuase of this
View Quote

That was posted here and is beyond stupid, yet people are dumb and believe anything. If gas seepage were that destructive, fluted chambers wouldn't last beyond a few rounds. If chambers were that easily erroded, the throats wouldn't last beyond a few rounds.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have any good pics of the pink corroded DAG or MEN ammo?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone have any good pics of the pink corroded DAG or MEN ammo?
View Quote

I have four sealed battle packs of this and would also like to see some pics. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I googled it and found this thread: http://m14forum.com/ammunition/108956-pictures-corrosion-inside-men94-cases.html#post792861

It's pretty distinctive and hard to miss.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Piss. I have 800 rounds of that stuff, sealed. Opening it is not what I want to do. Piss.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I opened up one of four battle packs I have a couple weeks ago.  Found some minor corrosion on a few rounds, but haven't gone through them all yet.  Guess I need to. I think three of the packs are DAG and one is MEN, don't remember the years though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That was posted here and is beyond stupid, yet people are dumb and believe anything. If gas seepage were that destructive, fluted chambers wouldn't last beyond a few rounds. If chambers were that easily erroded, the throats wouldn't last beyond a few rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really ??Before you call me stupid and dumb maybe you should do your homework.
What does a fluted chamber or the throst have to do with anything???  With the Dag ammo the was a hole in the side of the case against the chamber, hot gasses cause a pit in the side of the chamber
I personally know the guy,he is a long time builder and shooter of the M1A. It pitted the chamber right at the hole . The barrel was replaced by the seller of the ammo (Wideners)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top