Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2014 11:52:51 PM EDT
I'm looking for a scope to put on an m1a ebr and I won't to know respectable tactical scope brands that won't break the bank. Id like to stay under $400 preferably under $350
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Bushnell 10x40 MilDot, which I have been told is an entry level tactical scope, and one can often find it at about $200 .  The SWFA 10x40 is supposed to be a better scope and runs a bit more.  $250 - $300.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Leupold AR MK1 3x9 is what I plan to install on mine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
SWFA SS 6x42 or 10x42 in the mil/mil flavor is the only option I would consider in that price range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a pre-owned Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a viper pst 1-4 on an ar and it was a solid well built optic I'm planning on scoping my m1a and I'm going to get a viper pst 2.5x10. Vortex offers a very nice discount if your mil, veteran or Leo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Currently I have a Nikon 6-18x44 on mine till I finish selling off all my scopes to buy a Nightforce scope and Larue mount.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I say anything that holds a zero and you can see through.  A normal ole leupold?  

I guess the question is are you going to shoot at distance and want either a mil dot reticle or target turrets?  Do you need it to be super robust like you plan on going hiking with it or just shooting from a bench at the range.  For most people it's just the latter but they WANT something all tactical and all that stuff costs an arm and a leg.  So....  I'm not sure which optics are the best but I've used a Leupold VX-II on mine and it's a fine scope.  It has a "rangefinding"  reticle.   It has to do with the distance between the thicker part of the posts is a certain dimension at a certain distance and you can deduct the distance of your target if you know the size of the target.  In this case it being the torso of a typical deer.  I think it's like 18".  

Anyways....    

Just my 2 cents but just about anything will work if you're just shooting at 100-300 yards.  Heck further than that.  As long as it has some quality.  The mount is probably more of an issue than the scope.  Just choose a name brand and maybe look through some to see what you like.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Right now Midway has their Bushnell  10x-40 Tactical scopes on sale for $199.99 with free shipping.  It's kind of hard to beat a deal like that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#9]
This
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Leupold VX II 3X9 upgraded with Target turrets and a mildot reticle. Nice scope and they can be had fairly cheap in stock form and than upgraded later
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
1-6x or 4-14x
They both seem to get great reviews and are in high demand. Check out their page on the industry forum.

ETA
I own the 1-6x and used it on my PTR91, but it now resides on my .308AR. I really like the optic!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a viper pst 1-4 on an ar and it was a solid well built optic I'm planning on scoping my m1a and I'm going to get a viper pst 2.5x10. Vortex offers a very nice discount if your mil, veteran or Leo.
View Quote

I did not know about the MIL/LEO discount...Thanks for the heads up.  My M1A is currently iron sights only.  Working on my ammo collection / stash and rifle skills more than anything at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had great luck with Burris. Just ordered a 4.5x-14x fullfield II from SWFA for my M1A. $300 with a $100 rebate.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SWFA SS 6x42 or 10x42 in the mil/mil flavor is the only option I would consider in that price range.
View Quote

OP, I have one of these if you want it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Zeiss Conquest scopes are great scopes for the price range. Very good light transmission! I have one that's held up for a good while. I also have a Leupold MK4 ER/T and it's superb but spendy.

Get one with  a lifetime warranty. M1A's are brutal on scopes due to the forward impulse that they inflict on scopes when chambering a round. Some scopes are only made to handle recoil in one direction. Don't be surprised if you buy a scope that holds up well with high power bolt actions but fails after prolonged use in an M14/M1A.

Tony.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
SWFA SS 10x mil dot. I've seen several over the last year in the EE in the $200-$250 range for the rear focus model. If I bought one new, I'd spend the extra $50 for side focus. I had one on my M1A but now have a Leupy mk4 LR/T 3.5-10x.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up a leupold mk4 3.5x10 lr/t in the EE and mounted to my m14 with a basset mount. Pretty sweet...but not cheap.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I like my Primary Arms FFP 4-14 Mil Dot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#19]
M1A has always been horrible as far as scopes. The problem is the scope needs to be over the ejection port to get a good eye relief or on the forward handguard. Where exactly is the scope going to be mounted on this ebr?

If you don't have a mount, expect to spend some money for a mount and the ebr is somewhat limited to the type of mount that it can accept. On the ebr, you can do some stuff like getting the ar15 scope mount, and simply reversing it on the ebr's handguard to get it sticking out back.

If it's a forward handguard mount, I recommend a reddot. You can get a Aimpoint Comp ML3 for only a little more of the price range you want.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Where exactly is the scope going to be mounted on this ebr?
View Quote

Good question.

The EBR accepts several different mounts.

Side mount SEI, Sadlak, and Basset come to mind.
SAGE DCSB, and LaRue TL-608 are designed for the EBR.
The different CASM mounts imported from Canada are another option.

Here you see an RDS out front, and a Vortex on a LaRue TL-608.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
M1A has always been horrible as far as scopes. The problem is the scope needs to be over the ejection port to get a good eye relief or on the forward handguard. Where exactly is the scope going to be mounted on this ebr?

If you don't have a mount, expect to spend some money for a mount and the ebr is somewhat limited to the type of mount that it can accept. On the ebr, you can do some stuff like getting the ar15 scope mount, and simply reversing it on the ebr's handguard to get it sticking out back.

If it's a forward handguard mount, I recommend a reddot. You can get a Aimpoint Comp ML3 for only a little more of the price range you want.
View Quote

I disagree. There is nothing horrible about scoping an M14 pattern rifle; people make it out to be much more of an issue than it really is. Just buy a scope mount ($150-200, same as a quality mount would cost for an AR) and you're ready to go. You'll also need a cheek riser, but that's a cheap and easy fix.

Also, the EBR is MUCH easier to mount an optic with compared to a rifle with a standard stock. You can use a traditional side mount, or a mount designed for an EBR, or mount it forwards on the rail, which is a rock solid platform to mount on.

This is the LT-608 I had on mine, which worked great.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is my m14 with a basset machine scope mount. How does it get much easier than one bolt??!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top