Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 11:15:55 AM EDT
I made the mistake of lending my M1 Garand to a family member for a few months, and they shot corrosive ammo through it and didn't clean it (after I explicitly told them to not shoot corrosive ammo and to clean it after each firing). My mistake for trusting my dad. So now I am left with a barrel that has been allowed to corrode for over 5 month and I fear that the barrel is shot, or at least the accuracy I once enjoyed will be gone. I am in the process of cleaning it and will fire it to test for accuracy after deer season.

My question is this: How hard is it to install a new M1 barrel? I am currently building my first AR-15 and that was a breeze with all of the help I have received on this site. Is Installing a M1 Barrel similar in terms of skill required? Or am I better off sending my rifle off to have a barrel installed?

I know this all may be premature, but I like to have a plan B in place in case my rifle barrel is indeed, shot.

If I were to buy a new barrel, what are your recommendations?

If I were to have a new one installed for me, who does a good job for the best reasonable price?

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You can send it to the CMP Custom Shop in Anniston, Alabama.  They can properly install a brand-new Criterion barrel.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-gunsmithing/
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-gunsmithing/services-for-the-m1-garand/

Not particularly tough to do, but you'll need to buy tools and blocks for a single barrel change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbJKD0_XyrE
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The only issue is that my M1 is from the CMP, but my grandfather purchased it for me, and he is no longer alive, and I don't believe I fit the criteria or am eligible for their services according to the website.

Are there any other places that perform the same work?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only issue is that my M1 is from the CMP, but my grandfather purchased it for me, and he is no longer alive, and I don't believe I fit the criteria or am eligible for their services according to the website.

Are there any other places that perform the same work?
View Quote

I'm not sure of what criteria you are referring to as the only restriction I know is that the will only work on US military receivers.  Yours is a CMP one so - they are your best bet!
I recommend them 100%  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try shooting it, it may shoot fine. I've had more than a few M1s with very dark bores that shot fine.
View Quote

What Steve says.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It is easy to change an M1 barrel if you have the right tools.

You could send your barrel and rifle to Shuff's Parkerizing and Tim Shufflin could install the barrel for you.

You can buy a Criterion barrel for around $210 and these are very good barrels.  They are an excellent value.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you even clean it and shoot it yet?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess I readthe CMP's eligibility rules incorrectly. I would only have to join an affiliated club

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

My dad said he bought the ammo from the sportsmanship guide maybe 8-10 years ago. It was Chinese manufacture (the markings on the ammo box). The only reason I know it was corrosive since I don't  read whatever language was on the container is what my barrel looked like (rusty, snowflake like formations inside the bore). It was on M1 bandolier and in ammo pouches.

I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, as I'm preparing for deer season, but I will in a few weeks. I cleaned it the other night , and it was unlike anything I have ever cleaned before. There is still a layer of gunk in some spots in the barrel. The rusty patches that came out were unreal. I used powder blast first after the bore brush on a cleaning jag, then used some CLP, and then a foaming bore cleaner and kept running patches with all of them. Must have ran a few hundred patches already. Never seen anything like it! Tried all The products I own. I put a coat of CLP down the barrel and will continue after deer season. Maybe it will be fine , but I am worried, and like to have a plan "b" ready to go. I'll continue with a new bore brush and start over to remove some variables.

Thanks for input so far
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Deleted
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Too bad you don't live closer to me. I am preparing to rebarrel 2 of my garands and just ordered the headspace gauge set from Dave Manson. Next month, I'll gift myself the pull through reamer and the barrels will come in January. Much easier/simpler job than fitting a barrel blank to a 45/70 rolling block and I've still got the barrel vise and action wrench from that.

It would have been easy to add another rifle to the project.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll need the following tools to re-barrel an M14 or M1 Garand:

Barrel wrench
Barrel vise clamp
Alignment gauge
Lathe
Headspace gauges

And depending on the barrel you buy:

Chamber reamer

These tools are expense and this is not a do it yourself job unless you know what you're doing.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Barrel wrench
Barrel vise clamp
Alignment gauge
Lathe
Headspace gauges

Chamber reamer

These tools are expense and this is not a do it yourself job unless you know what you're doing.

View Quote

Lathe?? what for
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lathe?? what for
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel wrench
Barrel vise clamp
Alignment gauge
Lathe
Headspace gauges

Chamber reamer

Lathe?? what for

I would guess that it would be needed to cut back the barrel shoulder in case the barrel doesn't index when it is drawn down.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would guess that it would be needed to cut back the barrel shoulder in case the barrel doesn't index when it is drawn down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel wrench
Barrel vise clamp
Alignment gauge
Lathe
Headspace gauges

Chamber reamer

Lathe?? what for

I would say that is pretty rare.  Most barrels will index, but need to be finish reamed.  To say you need a lathe is a bit of an over statement.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have never had a barrel that would not index and even if it didnt you could hand file the shoulder. A Lathe is not needed
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]

In fourteen rebarrellings, we had a single barrel that would not index.   But it worked with another receiver.

So if your barrel wont time, just exchange the barrel for another one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In fourteen rebarrellings, we had a single barrel that would not index.   But it worked with another receiver.

View Quote

Thats OK for us that have spare parts but for people whp dont have that luxury there are very simple fixes. If it under indexes you simply hand file the shoulder, it doesnt take much. If it over indexes you can roll the shoulder or peen it with a punch.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thats OK for us that have spare parts but for people whp dont have that luxury there are very simple fixes. If it under indexes you simply hand file the shoulder, it doesnt take much. If it over indexes you can roll the shoulder or peen it with a punch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right because that's how it should be done by someone with a little skill.

I'm not skilled with tools and if the OP was worried about filing anything, he could simply use my chicken livered approach

In our case, we had a Beretta receiver and it would not work with a brand new Criterion .308 barrel.  We then tried that same barrel with another Beretta receiver and it worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm curious where your Dad found corrosive ammo for the M1.

-- Chuck
View Quote

Korean can be corrosive.
Korean 30-06
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Never heard of a gunsmith who hand files the shoulder to index. The reputable ones all use a lathe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:28:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Never heard of a gunsmith who hand files the shoulder to index. The reputable ones all use a lathe.
View Quote

A lathe would be the preferred method.  But chances are really good that the barrel will just screw in properly the first time
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't be too hard on your dad -- we only get 1 issued to us for the most part (some exceptions) ---   Mine has been gone since '08 , but my new M1A purchase was largely influenced by his regard for the M14 .

Sometimes Shi-ite happens and machines are repairable    (but i'm hoping its not permanently F'ed for your sake )
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually a reputable Ggunsmith would never need to use a Lathe. It isnt Rocket Science
I have never seen a barrel that would not time and I have had some pretty far off.. If you have a good quality heavy receiver wrench it will time.  If you have a barrel that is off simply tighten barrel, let set for a hour, loosen and tighten again, usually this will let barrel index properly.
As I also stated you can use a small triangle file and remove a very small amount of metal on the inside EDGE of the face. Also can use lapping compound
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#25]
M1G is right.  The shoulder should crush to index.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I guess I readthe CMP's eligibility rules incorrectly. I would only have to join an affiliated club

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

My dad said he bought the ammo from the sportsmanship guide maybe 8-10 years ago. It was Chinese manufacture (the markings on the ammo box). The only reason I know it was corrosive since I don't  read whatever language was on the container is what my barrel looked like (rusty, snowflake like formations inside the bore). It was on M1 bandolier and in ammo pouches.

I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, as I'm preparing for deer season, but I will in a few weeks. I cleaned it the other night , and it was unlike anything I have ever cleaned before. There is still a layer of gunk in some spots in the barrel. The rusty patches that came out were unreal. I used powder blast first after the bore brush on a cleaning jag, then used some CLP, and then a foaming bore cleaner and kept running patches with all of them. Must have ran a few hundred patches already. Never seen anything like it! Tried all The products I own. I put a coat of CLP down the barrel and will continue after deer season. Maybe it will be fine , but I am worried, and like to have a plan "b" ready to go. I'll continue with a new bore brush and start over to remove some variables.

Thanks for input so far
View Quote

Those eligibility requirements are for BUYING a rifle. Not for sending one in to be serviced at the Custom Shop.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#27]
The eligibility requirements are the same for both buying a rifle from the CMP,and sending a rifle in to be worked on at the CMP shop.

They will not work on your gun unless you pass the same criteria as you would be buying a gun from them.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Korean can be corrosive.
Korean 30-06
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm curious where your Dad found corrosive ammo for the M1.

-- Chuck

Korean can be corrosive.
Korean 30-06

There's a lot of WWII era ammo that was corrosive as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top