Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 8:24:46 PM EDT
I was recently issued a beautiful H&R M-14 for work. It has the selector lock installed. Which parts are required to reactivate the full auto mode? Is it only the switch itself? It has the little round block at this time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please describe "work".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was recently issued a beautiful H&R M-14 for work. It has the selector lock installed. Which parts are required to reactivate the full auto mode? Is it only the switch itself? It has the little round block at this time.

Please describe "work".

LEO
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]

ETA: I hate you OP.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the pic Danish! It appears that all I should need is the switch itself and possibly the spring. All the other parts are already there. BTW, it has a birch stock, black handguard, and a TRW bolt. I've owned M-1A's and Garands for a long time so in my eyes this rifle is a true work of art.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you for the pic Danish! It appears that all I should need is the switch itself and possibly the spring. All the other parts are already there. BTW, it has a birch stock, black handguard, and a TRW bolt. I've owned M-1A's and Garands for a long time so in my eyes this rifle is a true work of art.
View Quote

Here ya go: http://militarygunsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_25&products_id=123

Have fun
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't think I have ever heard of a user of a full-auto M-14 say that is was worth using in that mode as anything other than an area denial weapon.

Tough to control and aim accurately, and the Army tried all sorts of devices and tweaks to make full-auto fire out of the M1A a useful option.

There were some promising results with a very highly modified M-14 in full-auto fire, but the developments came too late, and the project was shelved.  it is most unlikely your Dep't would shell out the considerable  money needed to replicate the above variant.

In view of the standard M-14's inherent tendency to put bullets in unwanted directions when fired by the typical user when in full-auto mode, and the attendant liability when used so in a civilian environment, leave the happy switch as it is.

The Mil put the lock on there for good reasons.
View Quote

Agreed. I'm LEO, and  if Joe Citizen can't reasonably get it , Joe LEO damn sure doesn't need 7.62 full auto.
The M14s loaned to departments really ought to have the NM weld mod to the selector. Fix that right up.
But, some are more equal than others, and the taxpayer might even pick up the ammo tab for range blasting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
the M14 is uncontrollable in FA.

I still would want the happy switch for shenanigans at the range. The M14e2 with the bipod and pistol grip stock was a sort of stop gap BAR replacement. The rifle is just too light.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
It may sound like fun and since it's legal for you in your circumstances, it's still a bad idea. Not only will accuracy be uncontrollable and unsafe in full-auto, it will beat the hell out of the rifle. I would be happy with the way it is, knowing you have solid reliable rifle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
The issue muzzle brake for the E2 version (shown on the lower M-14 picture above) does help with control considerably, but your ears will bleed!  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP,
   It comes down to training (and liability). As mentioned above, very few departments have the necessary ammunition budget to train & keep you proficient as an automatic rifleman with the M14. With that said: Select fire M14 rifles have been used to good effect in LE but it is very rare. Qualified operators are just too few and far between. If you put the selector switch and spring on (yes, you need the spring), the standard M14 rifle fired on AUTO will tell you all about it. Good luck; stay safe.

This modified M14E2 configuration is as shootable as I have been able to put together for firing short bursts offhand:

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Fired an M14 a few times on full auto and I have fired quite a few firearms over the years with burst and full auto capability and the M14 is about one of the most useless rifles on full auto.  Unless you plan to mount a bi-pod and use the rifle as a SAW what is the point.  The FAL/G3 have far better control than the M14 and not by much because by the third round in a burst you are off target.  This might be fixable with a better stock, some tuning of the recoil system, and a muzzle brake.

Pics of said rifle or it did not happen......
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
It is very obvious this shooter believes in practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSefhmWhgos

Same shooter firing an M14E2. I only practice 2-3 round burst fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1SfTFpjV8o

Edit: Best I have seen was one of the Navy NSW guys filmed during an exercise while firing a standard M14 in a fiberglass stock with the standard USGI flash suppressor on the rifle. He was so steady on auto, I thought he was firing blanks. He wasn't, it was a live fire exercise.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow those 2 vids looked really good...he said in the comments on youtube

that the smith enterprises break made all the difference...Im interested!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top