Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 4:32:57 PM EDT
I was hoping some of you guys might know more about it. Ill be researching about it myself, but any info is great!

Here are the cartouches.

This thing is in excellent shape. Any help or reference website I can use to learn more would be very helpful.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The rifle has gone through atleast one rebuild and has a replacement barrel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
www.milsurps.com might have a bit more info.  That's a really nice 03A3.  I have an all remington that we got from the CMP.  It's a very good shooter.  Only rifle I ever got to fire at the 600 yard line.  I actually prefer shooting these to Garands.  I'm not sure why.  I just do.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking rifle op.

It seems counterintuitive but you need to loose the white towel for taking pics. Using a grey wool blanket is actually better. The camera's eye adjusts to the bright white and this underexposes the darker gun. By using a darker back ground you get a proper exposure of the subject.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks parked to me.  But maybe I'm the cray one.  The barrel pics do look a bit dark, but I think that might just be the lighting.  The receiver looks just like mine, finish wise.  Can you tell if it's got the 2 groove barrel?  My guess is yeah, but that's not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks parked to me.  But maybe I'm the cray one.  The barrel pics do look a bit dark, but I think that might just be the lighting.  The receiver looks just like mine, finish wise.  Can you tell if it's got the 2 groove barrel?  My guess is yeah, but that's not a bad thing.
View Quote

I think its parkerized, the metal has a greenish grey color to it. It has a 2 groove barrel.

So its looking like its not a parts matching but it is in very good shape. Im happy either way.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine's  a 2 groove and it shoots well.   I like yours alot.  I don't know the history of all of that, but yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a Remington Barrel, but I don't know if SC made their own or not.  I don't have any books on them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Again, its been rebuilt atleast once and has a replacement barrel
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Good looking rifle OP.  Currently, I have 03A3 fever.  I'm building one on a Remington on a non-DP receiver I purchased 20 years ago from a custom gun maker who had it laying around in his shop.  It was beautifully parked in light grey zinc phosphate.  My Old Man has a couple of NOS two groove barrels he purchased form the DCM back in the '60s.  Price back then was, IIRC, $1.25 ea.  

USGI parts are drying up.

This one will have a straight stock (with an open box SA stamp), and the next 'A3 will have a "scant" stock-which I thought were ugly, yet they are starting to appeal to me for some reason.

Neat rifles.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I always like getting out my M1, Remington 1903 and 03A3, then say which one is the oldest. Most people say the 1903 which was build in early 1942, my M1 is Dec 41. and the 03A3 is mid 1942.

I just need a 03A4

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always like getting out my M1, Remington 1903 and 03A3, then say which one is the oldest. Most people say the 1903 which was build in early 1942, my M1 is Dec 41. and the 03A3 is mid 1942.
I just need a 03A4
View Quote

Agreed

1960s DCM M1903A3 with offset roll markings, and the receiver drilled and tapped for Redfield mounts at the factory.  The mount and rings were purchased from Lonnie Lambert in Lincoln, NM when he was still alive.  Some of you older guys may remember the ads in SGN by "Old Sarge", who sold CAR 15 kits for ARs back in the '70s.  Lonnie had some amazing shit in his warehouse down there.  I used to love stopping by that place and he'd take me back in there to look for what I needed.  My eyes were probably as big as dinner plates.  RIP Lonnie, you were a wonderful vendor to buy from.

Anyway, USGI M73B1 Weaver 330 scope purchased at a gun show when such things were only $10.00 or so.  USGI type C stock from a surplus store in Alamagordo, NM for $25.00 when I stopped in just to see what they had.  The store owner found a whole crate at a DRMO auction at Ft Bliss, and I purchased the last one he had.  That was about 1987 or '88.

I purchased the USGI bent bolt from Sarco when they had 'em new for $15.00.  I wish I'd have bought a half dozen more.

Fun rifle to shoot.  Shoots less than 1 MOA with hand loads.  Never tried factory match-grade ammo.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
WOW!!!  NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!

If you NEED a bent bolt from SARCO.  I have one and will probably never use it.  I was going to convert my 03A3 before I knew better.  I didn't think it was a good bolt though.  It looks like the bend is almost too much.  

I've always lusted over an 03A4.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Barrel has been replaced.  Correct SC stock that has been lightly sanded.  The large bow parked TG is late SC production.  The bolt sleeve appears to be Remington.  Nice example of a arsenal rebuild.

Look for marks on the nose cap, swivels, firing pin, safety, cutoff and bolt.  Bolt parts may also be marked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top