Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 7:11:06 PM EDT
So I've been doing tons of research on the forum and online, and I still can't make up my mind on which rifle to go with. Unfortunately buying both is currently out of the question

I've handled a socom 16 and it really is a sweet piece. Love how short it is, but I feel like a 16" barrel isn't doing the rifle justice with what it's capable of. Plus I've got a DPMS G2 Recon that has a 16" barrel..

Most of my shooting is <300 yards, and I have a Surefire 762 can I'd like to use on it.

I'm leaning more towards the Scout at the moment....I'd really appreciate any input on the pros/cons between the two, and any info on making it a reliable host for my 762K can.

Thx in advance!

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I've handled a socom 16 and it really is a sweet piece. Love how short it is, but I feel like a 16" barrel isn't doing the rifle justice with what it's capable of. Plus I've got a DPMS G2 Recon that has a 16" barrel..

View Quote

Go with your instincts.  I have an 18.5" rifle and a 22".  I love them both for different reasons but the Scout gets more use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally like my scout, but the muzzle velocity loss over the 22" barrel is pushing me to get a full sized rifle at some point.  However, at the ranges you plan to shoot, it wouldn't be an issue.  With the socom, you have some parts compatibility issues with full sized rifles to consider.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Scout would be my choice. Everyone seems to love theirs and the things I hear about the SOCOM seem to be split pretty even plus to minus. JMO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Scout was my choice...

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have a scout and it is badass I only have about 100 rounds through it but it has ate them all and functioned 100%. I think I'll eventually pick up a standard 22" version but if I could only have one it would be the scout. The muzzle break on it is awesome and keeps recoil down very well. I need a fiberglass or wood stock for mine as the mags are hard to insert and remove due to the flex and cheap construction of the factory plastic one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're only going to get one I would pick the Scout which would be the happy medium.  But, that being said I've got all three and the one I shoot the most is my SOCOM.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I started out with a Scout, then built two MK14 clones.
The 18.0" barrel is battle proven, and very popular.
When it came time for me to thin the herd, I sold the MK14s.

I kept this Blackfeather CQB-16, and M21 A5 Crazy Horse EBR.
... I do not feel under-gunned with the 16.25" barrel.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a SOCOM 16 and it's really growing on me. I have it in a surplus birch "Big Red" stock, removed the scout mount and added a fiberglass GI HG, and upgraded the extractor to a used GI part. It looks absolutely bad-ass now. I would rather have the full-length rifle but the SOCOM is so damn handy that it's slowly earning my respect. I hate the fat front sight post, but don't want to spend the extra $$ for a new gas lock, just to be able to use standard GI sights.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never shot a scout.  I have a loaded, owned a Poly for a bit, and have shot a socom.  

I wouldn't want to be making that decision.  Because it's a tough one.  When I shot the Socom I was really liking how it balanced and felt and all of that.  But yeah the ap is a little bit larger and front post is fatter.  So you will lose some accuracy, I would think, from that.  For 50 yards and under, it would be superior.  IMHO.  And faster shooting.  Sometimes that small ap on a NM or even standard can light up like a surefire flashlight if the sun is to your back and makes it hard to shoot.  

But then you have the drawbacks of a non GI flash hider set up.  Or brake, or whatever they call it.  You can get a better one from Smith Ent.  but I'm not even sure if it's necessary.  I've also heard the brake on the Scout is LOUD.  But like I said, I've never shot one.  I didn't think the socom was loud.  But of course louder than a 22" rifle.  

Have you got to shoot both or at the very least handle both?  It would be a great thing if you could do that.  Especially the former.  If you know someone.

The 18.5 might give you a bit more velocity, but in all reality I'm not sure if it's enough to matter.  I don't think either one is a 1K yard gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a socom 16 a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it, I love it more than my

AR15

And it's only loud to bystanders it's comfortable to shoot and Pretty accurate with ZMI ammo, just don't forget it's a battle rifle not a long range bottle top popper.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't like the factory muzzle device & front sight on the SOCOM, you should consider the SOCOM II kit from Smith Enterprise. I have been using it since early 2011 and wouldn't go back to the factory set-up. The Good Iron brake works very well, but I prefer the DC Vortex flash hider. I also use SEI's SOCOM gas plug, and a Wind Talker suppressor.

SEI Good Iron muzzle brake on a SOCOM length M14

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Recently I've been toying with the idea of selling my 22" and getting a Scout or SOCOM. Yall aren't helping.

I rarely (never) shoot past 300m, and the handiness of a shorter rifle is so enticing. I bet it would wreak havoc on some hogs.

We need a sub-22" picture thread here for the 16.25 and 18 inchers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Recently I've been toying with the idea of selling my 22" and getting a Scout or SOCOM. Yall aren't helping.

I rarely (never) shoot past 300m, and the handiness of a shorter rifle is so enticing. I bet it would wreak havoc on some hogs.

We need a sub-22" picture thread here for the 16.25 and 18 inchers.
View Quote

CHeck your PMs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you all for your $0.02

I seriously might just have to coin flip this... One day I'm dead set on the Scout, then the next I want the Socom.

The more I think about it, I will probably keep this an iron sight gun and most likely just keep the factory muzzle device on and not even suppress it.

Decisions, decisions....
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you don't like the factory muzzle device & front sight on the SOCOM, you should consider the SOCOM II kit from Smith Enterprise. I have been using it since early 2011 and wouldn't go back to the factory set-up. The Good Iron brake works very well, but I prefer the DC Vortex flash hider. I also use SEI's SOCOM gas plug, and a Wind Talker suppressor.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/CQB-16.walnut.JPG
View Quote

How do you like shooting it suppressed? I've read that you get tons of blow back unless you make some mods?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How do you like shooting it suppressed? I've read that you get tons of blow back unless you make some mods?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(not my pic)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I enjoy shooting suppressed, it's the polite & civilized way to shoot.

The only mod I've made is adding the M3 shield pictured above, or letting the scope & mount do the deflecting.
The LSP & Vortex on my Blackfeather RS do a very good job of deflecting the gas away from my face.
I do not use an adjustable gas plug.

Shooting without the M3 or a mount & scope will blow your hair back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My Bush (Scout Squad without the silly scope mount on the barrel) is heavier than my standard M1A rifle.  The barrel profile is thicker.  Shorter but heavier.

-- Chuck
View Quote

What's weird about that is if you go online to Springy's website, they show the scout as lighter.  Something like 8.8 lbs.  And then they show the Standard at like 9.3lbs.  And even weirder they show the loaded as the same as the standard, 9.3lbs.  I think that's how it is because I just went on there the other day.  My loaded is closer to 10lbs.  It's basically the same weight as my Garand I think.  Give or take an ounce or two.  Which I always remember to be spec'd at 9.8lbs.  

Anyways.....  A scout with a skinny barrel would be the way to go I think.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I suggest get the 16" if length is a worry.  Otherwise the Scout 18 is fine also you should see little to no difference between the two rifles other than the 16' is easier to get in and out of cars/blinds/move around house with.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Just 36 inches nose-to-tail

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Like my 22" and my Scout. Sorry but I wouldn't buy a bar of soap from Smith Enterprises!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Both are M1A types are great, more of a personal decision on your part. My .02 is the Scout is a great all around M1A that keeps the standard gas system along with swift handling characteristics. So that is my choice between the two...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#24]
They all use the same gas system, but the SOCOM's combination gas lock sight base & compensator are proprietary to the M1A 16
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Love my Scout.  I want to get a fullsize 22" someday for nostalgia/fill out the collection, but the 18" barrel config seems to be the best combo of size vs. performance.  And when looking at AR-10/.308 AR's, the 18" barrel seems to be the ideal there too (duh).  I really want to get an AR-10 style rifle so I have a semi-auto .30 cal optics based platform as I don't see the M14/M1A platform as being the easiest/most flexable when it comes to optics.  I think the Scout with its iron sights makes it an outstanding battle rifle in the short to intermediate range (0-300 yrd).  

Once I get a full size and/or AR-10 style rifle, I'm probably going to drop the wooden stock from the Scout and get a composite one.  Also want to get it set up to attach Surefire suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I had no intention of getting one, but after looking at those beauties, I may have to get one eventually. H20, I really dig those stocks you have. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems the 16" would fit the bill fine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Scout squad IMHO. Excellent balance between swing ability and capability, and the parts are completely interchangeable with a full size (outside the barrel).
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I sold my SOCOM over the weekend, if that's any indication of what I'd choose. Sure, it was handy, but a .308 CQB is still a pig. I didn't like the coarse CQB iron sights, either, and adding a red dot to the scout rail makes them useless. The only way to get co-witness is by replacing the scout mount with a rail from Ultimak or M-4.ca, an additional expense I didn't want to pay.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Like my 22" and my Scout. Sorry but I wouldn't buy a bar of soap from Smith Enterprises!
View Quote

Why not?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Do a little research and you will find instances of Ron Smith suing his customers when they say mean things about his products on the Internet. One of our own was a recent target of his, and there are threads here that chronicled the event.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had no intention of getting one, but after looking at those beauties, I may have to get one eventually.
H2O, I really dig those stocks you have. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems the 16" would fit the bill fine.
View Quote

Smith Enterprise built the QCB-16 for me in 2011, it's an awesome little M14.
The 16.25" barrel is very capable, mine is chambered for M118 LR.

The Blackfeather Rifle System very flexible, and it gives you many options for mounting optics.
It also allows you to pick and choose what AR style butt stock you want to run.

The robust SAGE EBR is battle proven, there is a heavy barrel version, and several different butt stock options.
I prefer the flexibility of the PMRI/PRS2 butt stock, it's great for optics & irons.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I am a huge fan of the scout.  That said I want a 22" in woos and something in a sage, I just need a sugar momma first.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#33]
splogan, tell me about ^this^ rifle please. Nice stock work!
Is that an ultimate rail?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do a little research and you will find instances of Ron Smith suing his
customers when they say mean things about his products on the Internet.
View Quote

Do more research, and you will find more than few companies suing / threatening
to sue people when they feel they have been wronged in some way...Juggernaut
Tactical threatened to sue me after I posted my fair & honest review of their Rogue
bull pup conversion kit in 2011. I was right, they were wrong... nothing ever happened.

Back to the topic, the 18" Bush, Scout, and MK14 Mod 0 & Mod 1 are tough to beat.
Also, the 18" is the shortest barrel I recommend in either of the bull pup conversion kits.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top