Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 7:13:14 AM EDT
Hey all,

So, I took my M1A out this morning to inspect and the stripper clip guide has some play in it. Not much but enough that I need to know if it is a problem.

I read on the Firing Line that it could be an issue eventually. I need to know how big of a problem it could be and how to fix it. Also, I plan on mounting the Sage cantilever scope mount eventually and that uses the clip guide for a rear mounting point. Will the play in the guide affect the scope mount?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
going to recharge the magazine while it is in the gun? if no not a problem.  Stripper guide does nothing for the function of a m1a.

You wont know if it a problem untill you  go to mount the mount, unless you can take accurate (.001) measurments
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
going to recharge the magazine while it is in the gun? if no not a problem.  Stripper guide does nothing for the function of a m1a.

You wont know if it a problem untill you  go to mount the mount, unless you can take accurate (.001) measurments
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would matter much as I don't have any clips.

Looked at the instructions for the mount online and it looks like it will actually tighten that fitment.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of stripper clips are loose on M1-A's but even worse, many of them will not accept US G.I. stripper clips. I believe Springfield Armory purchased surplus stripper clips guides from Israel that were designed to accept FN-FAL stripper clips. They are way too tight to load the US made type.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Was the roll pin been removed from the guide?  Normally the guide is tight in the dovetail and the roll pin makes it rock solid.  A new guide is under $15.  The Sadlak scope mount uses a replacement guide for the rear mount point with a threaded mounting point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was the roll pin been removed from the guide?  Normally the guide is tight in the dovetail and the roll pin makes it rock solid.  A new guide is under $15.  The Sadlak scope mount uses a replacement guide for the rear mount point with a threaded mounting point.
View Quote

Never removed the pin. Maybe it loosened under recoil?

I think I'll get a new guide and pin if the slight amount of play affects the Sage mount. Still need to get the mount.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Found out why my stripper clip guide is loose. Brass hits it when the rifle ejects spent casings.

Anyone know which parts need to be swapped on a SAI M1A to correct this?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Found out why my stripper clip guide is loose. Brass hits it when the rifle ejects spent casings.

Anyone know which parts need to be swapped on a SAI M1A to correct this?
View Quote

Usually a new regular power operating spring will fix most ejection issues. I replace mine every 1000 rounds. Could be other problems but I would try an operating spring first...then a new ejector assembly with a new ejector spring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top