Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 5:24:42 PM EDT
I decided I should get my CMP Garand before they're all gone.  I am a bit confused by the process and requirements and could use some help.

1. I need to mail in an application.  They don't have an electronic way to order?

2.  As far as requirements go, I am of age, I am eligible to buy/own a firearm.  For proof of citizenship I have a passport.  I am in the Army reserves, is a copy of my ID enough for both the club affiliation and marksmanship activity requirement?  I also have a CHL which I guess I could use for the marksmanship activity requirement.

What all needs to be sent in?  Is it just the forms in their order form fill-able pdf (one is notarized), and a copy of my military ID?

Can I order multiple things on one form?  I plan on buying a Garand, a case or two of ammo, and some clips.  Can all three of these go on the one form?

Is there anything else I should know about ordering from the CMP?

ETA: It arrived yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to look at it and take it apart until today.

Its a Springfield Armory made in January 1944.  It came with USGI wood, and I'm pretty sure everything is SA except the barrel, which is HRA.  The stats are ME 1+, TE 4+ which is about what I expected.

Has a rack number on the heel of the grip, which is cool.

Stock is stamped Rock Island on the left side of the butt.

this piece of paper is attached (glued maybe?) to the bottom of the floorplate.  If anyone knows what it is or is for I would love to know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You order everything but the firearm on the CMP Estore after you get a customer number.  All firearms are mail order.  Not sure about whether or not the reserves will work as a club membership as I am nor in the reserves.  Also, if you want something specific, add a note to your order with any requests.  They may or may not follow through with your request, but I have always been lucky.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
So I shouldn't put ammo on the same order as the rifle?

It says on their website that you can mail order ammo and accessories, so I figured that would work.

I don't want my rifle order to get delayed due to the ammo though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You can put it on the order form if you want.  It won't slow your rifle order down.  They will send you an email when your order is placed in the estore.  This email will have your login/password information that you can use to log in and place additional non rifle orders.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Reserves ID works for Club Membership & Marksmanship....

http://www.civilianmarksmanshipprogram.net/Sales/eligibility.htm
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get a statement of service letter and don't send a CAC copy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You can order multiple items on the order form.  They will ship items separately, so when I ordered 2 Garands, 2 cans of ammo, and a pack of enblocs they all came at different times due to the processing and backorder differentials.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not as difficult as it seems.  
If you don't have an eStore account, I would recommend opening that first.  You can do everything electronically.  Once your account is approved, you will get a customer number.  Then put that on the order form and just mail the notarized order form in.  You will be able to look for progress in the eStore and order your ammo direct from the site instead of on the form.  Quicker and easier I think.

Rifle will still take however long they are taking now.  But you can open an account in the eStore, get your customer number and approval within a day or two and order everything else.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Application is in the mail.  Hopefully I can get it before Thanksgiving
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:13:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Youll get it quick....got my rifle within a few weeks...from point of mailing it in, to them receiving, processing, and shipping it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Sonoran, the CMP folks are good people. If there are any hiccups in the order they will let you know. And if there is a problem after the sale they will stand behind what they sell as long as no fraud or abuse has occurred. Just be aware that with any given grade other than collector or built from the ground up on new CMP wood, that the cosmetics can be all over the place but the rifle is guaranteed to function properly.

What grade did you order?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Post pictures when you get it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Youll get it quick....got my rifle within a few weeks...from point of mailing it in, to them receiving, processing, and shipping it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You weren't kidding.

My order was received on 10/27, I got an email about it on 10/30, and my orders showed up in the E-store and my credit card was hit over the weekend.

Today my clips and ammo shipped, but the rifle still shows processing.

Total time from when I mailed the application to when my card was charged was 8 or 9 days.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Lucky!  I love getting M1's in the mail.  Haven't done it in forever.   My first one took 6 months.  My longest one took 18 months, and shortest one was 7 days (got drawn in an M1D lottery in '99).
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You weren't kidding.

My order was received on 10/27, I got an email about it on 10/30, and my orders showed up in the E-store and my credit card was hit over the weekend.

Total time from when I mailed the application to when my card was charged was 8 or 9 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You weren't kidding.

Hell ya! I still have yet to go through and shoot mine. Been busy, but its a Springer
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#15]
It shipped today!

So I see the serial number on my order, meaning I can figure out when the gun was made, but how do I know which manufacturer its from?  

I'm assuming its a Springfield Armory because that's whats been shipping out lately.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It shipped today!

So I see the serial number on my order, meaning I can figure out when the gun was made, but how do I know which manufacturer its from?  

I'm assuming its a Springfield Armory because that's whats been shipping out lately.
View Quote

Well it depends what you ordered
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered a service grade M1, they don't specify manufacturer on the order form any more.

Based on the serial number I'm fairly certain its a Springfield Armory.  2,5xx,xxx puts it at Jan 1944 production.

Unless its a Winchester with a duplicate serial number, but I find that highly unlikely.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I ordered a service grade M1, they don't specify manufacturer on the order form any more.

View Quote

They never did, you  always had to put in the item number of the manufacture/grade
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They never did, you  always had to put in the item number of the manufacture/grade
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I mean, when you order you can only specify grade, not manufacturer.  It used to be you ordered a service grade HRA or a service grade SA; now you just order service grade and you get whatever they send you.

Based on the serial number though its almost definitely a Springfield.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top