Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2014 5:13:38 PM EDT
I went to a auction out in the boonies this morning.  Basically the guy owned a gun shop and died of old age.
They were auctioning off all of the guns, ammo, parts and reloading equipment that he had left.
I picked up this M1A but I honestly know nothing about it. The rifle is in excellent condition and looks to have been shot maybe once or twice.
The barrel says Krieger Barrel 10   .30, it also has a rather fancy stock on it.
Serial number is in the low 32,000 range. Any idea on how to tell how old it is? I've searched but couldn't get a definitive answer.

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
nice ,what did we pay ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
1984-1985 is the manufacture date...possibly a NM rifle - does it have NM sights? I noticed it does have lockbar rear which is a plus!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
They soaked me for $1500 on the rifle, it was me and one other guy bidding.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I noticed it does have lockbar rear which is a plus!
View Quote

Looks like that lockbar sight has a checkered elvation cap too.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1984-1985 is the manufacture date...possibly a NM rifle - does it have NM sights? I noticed it does have lockbar rear which is a plus!
View Quote

Yes it has NM sights, the auction ad lists the rifle as a super match M1A
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I noticed it does have lockbar rear which is a plus!

Yep it has the checkered elevation cap
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Niiiiiiice.  

Bet you have some USGI parts in there too.  Possibly.  Well obviously the rear sights are.  DANG.  Lock bars are not very common any more.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not with a lock bar rear sight- it isn't.  
Show some better pictures of the:  rear sight, any bedding present and the gas system.
The lock bar, while interesting and a little rare, are not NM conditioned.
Even so at 1500 is a good deal.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice score!

Mine also has lock bar sights. While they are cool and pretty uncommon, they kind of suck because it makes life a lot more difficult for adjusting your sights to shoot past the 200m zero.

Crack that bad boy open and take pics of the internals. Check the bolt, op rod, trigger housing, and hammer to see if any of them are USGI. Post pics of the stampings on those parts I listed and any others that you see. With a lower serial number like that, there is a good chance of it having USGI guts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Show some better pictures of the:  rear sight, any bedding present and the gas system.

A few of the parts have "NM" stamped onto them.

I cant get the trigger housing out to disassemble the rifle. There is absolutely no room in the rear of this stock. It looks like it was made never to come out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few of the parts have "NM" stamped onto them.

Quoted:
Nice score!

Mine also has lock bar sights. While they are cool and pretty uncommon, they kind of suck because it makes life a lot more difficult for adjusting your sights to shoot past the 200m zero.

Crack that bad boy open and take pics of the internals. Check the bolt, op rod, trigger housing, and hammer to see if any of them are USGI. Post pics of the stampings on those parts I listed and any others that you see. With a lower serial number like that, there is a good chance of it having USGI guts.

I cant get the trigger housing out to disassemble the rifle. There is absolutely no room in the rear of this stock. It looks like it was made never to come out.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It's probably just really really tight.  It has to come out to disassemble.  But seeins how it's a match stock and laminated.....  I had a heck of a time getting mine out for the first time on my loaded too.   I'm not sure how to tell you to do it without damaging the stock though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Just grab tight and yank hard. That's what I do when they want to be difficult.

You could also stick a screwdriver in the trigger guard hole and use that as leverage. Put it in like this and gently pry up.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Front sight may be NM but rear sight is not. Personally I would sell off the lock bar rear sight and get a standard set
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#14]
That wood stock.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell of a nice rifle from the looks of it
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Call springfield and ask before you start taking it apart? They should be able to tell you something if you give them the serial #
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Call springfield and ask before you start taking it apart? They should be able to tell you something if you give them the serial #
View Quote

There's nothing wrong with field stripping it to see if there are any USGI parts in there. Springfield can tell you when it was made and in what configuration it left the factory in, but they won't know anything about the internals. You can actually search the serial number online and find out when it was made in about 3 minutes to save the call.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Did SA have laminate stocks in this time frame?  I don't think so.  I think they used Wilson NM barrel then also.  This may have been assembled by a previous owner.

I would not remove the trigger housing or receiver any more than necessary as it wears the bedding.  Most bedded M1A's need to be reskinned every few years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Concur with poster above this looks like a mid-80s Springfield Super Match or custom match rifle.  I cannot tell if the action is bedded into the laminated stock or not.

The Krieger is a 1-10 twist which would be excellent for 168 through 168 grain bullets.

The sights are incorrect, having a standard peep and lock-bar.  A lock-bar sight would be correct for an early WWII rack-grade M1 Garand.  They happen to have the same dimensions to fit an M1A receiver.

$1500 was a steal.  You have what is potentially a very accurate rifle.  Swap out the sights for a correct National Match rear sight.

Good luck.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They soaked me for $1500 on the rifle, it was me and one other guy bidding.
View Quote

You suck.  Six ways to Sunday.

Lucky bastage.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#21]
be careful removing the rifle from the stock,
if it is match prepped, it should be tight, as in don't take it out tight,

trigger group as well,

if you start jerking and pulling, it may mess up the bedding, decreasing accuracy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top