Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2014 5:32:58 PM EDT
I was recently given some of these by a friend.  Are Checkmate M-14 magazines any good?  Where are they made?  Anything about the 30-rounders I need to know?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The 20-rounders are excellent magazines. No idea about the 30-rounders but I'd stick with 20s. I had a 30rd mag for my FAL several years ago and it made the rifle feel heavy and bulky.

Edit: if you look at the back of the magazine it will say where they are made, as will a few minutes on Google.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]
20rd CMI mags are current military issue, and are excellent magazines.  I'm not sure about the 30rd mags.  As with the previous poster I had 30rd DSA mags for my FAL.  They are a novelty item...unwieldy and heavy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I know checkmate makes a 25 round m14 magazine, news to me on 30s.

Checkmate are great magazines for the rifle.  

Stay away from USA magazines if you ever find any.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Gregory_K is correct CMI only makes mags up to 25rd capacity.  The CMI 25rd mag is still unwieldy IMHO.  However, if you gotta have more than the standard 20rd mag in capacity I recommend the CMI 25rd mags given their excellent quality and reputation.  I would steer clear of the aftermarket no name 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:20:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Haven't had a CMI 20 round magazine give me issues yet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up 5 back in the days of the magazine hoard of 2013 for $30 a pop, zero issues whatsoever. I also have 3 "Westinghouse" mags; I mean hyphenated because they may or may not be fakes, but they work just as good as the CMIs, so I don't care.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine say CMI along the spine, floorplate has the Checkmate pony on it.  Look very solidly made.  Not sure when I will want to mono-pod my M1A, but I will not look a gift horse in the mouth, especially when the consensus is that it is a real stallion. Happy birthday to me!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#8]
CMI makes the Springfield factory mags.  I have four CMI mags, and they have flawless function...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Took one of the 25 rounders and stuffed them full of dummy rounds. Inserted them into the rifle and started racking the action.  Flawless feeding. The dummy rounds even landed right into a box I set up to catch them in, very, very consistently.

I have an M14a1 stock, so the magazine doesn't stick out too far, either.

Now, I have to find pouches that can hold them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gregory_K is correct CMI only makes mags up to 25rd capacity.  The CMI 25rd mag is still unwieldy IMHO.  However, if you gotta have more than the standard 20rd mag in capacity I recommend the CMI 25rd mags given their excellent quality and reputation.  I would steer clear of the aftermarket no name 30rd mags.
View Quote

+1

No issues with the CMI mags that I have. 10, 20 & 25 rounders.
Yes indeed, avoid the aftermarket box mags - especially the 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
If it isn't Checkmate or old-school GI, don't buy it. There are WAY too may GI fakes, so it's certainly safest/easiest to order Checkmate. It's unlikely you'll save any money on older ones anyway, unless you're a level 85 dealmaster or something.

See Different's guide on fake M14 mags for further. It's quite literally a book. Did I mention there were fakes?

Only exception to above would be the drum mags. I don't own any. When I get a M14A1 automatic rifle up-and-running, that may change...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are Checkmate M-14 magazines any good?  Where are they made?  Anything about the 30-rounders I need to know?
View Quote

Yes, CMI has been the sole supplier of USGI M14 magazines since 1985.  

Wyandanch, New York, USA

Don't buy thirty round M14/M1A magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top