Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 9:39:58 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I have a Springfield M1A Loaded with a stainless steel barrel, synthetic stock and NM sights.

It shoots great but has been sitting in the safe for a while. I'd like to upgrade it a bit but I'd like to get some input.

I was thinking of mounting some type of red dot or maybe a 1/4X scope, but I don't know where to begin with mounts and optic options.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thurman
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do a search and lurk in a few of the threads going on lately around here, there has been some good things said.  So people may not want to repeat themselves here.  Or they might.  But it's been talked about lately a lot.  

So...  Got pics?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you do a search and lurk in a few of the threads going on lately around here, there has been some good things said.  So people may not want to repeat themselves here.  Or they might.  But it's been talked about lately a lot.  

So...  Got pics?  
View Quote

Thanks,

Sure I got a pic

" />
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer iron sights, and forward mounted red dots.

Is the stainless barrel on your rifle standard weight/profile?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, I was leaning towards a red dot.

I was thinking of a Troy M14 Battle Rail with an Aimpoint or Eotech on it but I'm not sure if this is a good choice.

I believe it is a standard profile it's marked NM (national match) if that helps.

I am very humbled and grateful to get any advice from the H20 man I know you are very experienced with the platform.

Thurman
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was leaning towards a red dot.

I believe it is a standard profile it's marked NM (national match) if that helps.

View Quote

Hi Thurman,

If you want to keep it simple & light I recommend one of these two railed hand guards: The M8 from UltiMAK, or the SHG from M14.ca

The SHG is a couple ounces lighter than the M8, it tends to run cooler, but it does require removal of a tiny amount of material inside standard wood & fiberglass stocks. The TROY kit sits too high for me.

I also recommend an Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot. NOT the Comp M14, it sit too high. Follow this advice and you should be able to co-witness your iron sights through the Aimpoint, and you will not need to add a cheek riser.

Both of the rails are also well suited to fixed or variable magnification EER/LER Scout scopes mounted low. No cheek riser is required with this combo either.

-H2O

My non-castrated standard with an Aimpoint Micro on an UltiMAK M8

My shorty with the SHG and an Aimpoint Micro. The SHG accepts accessory side rails.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Put a real flash suppressor/bayonet lug on it (if your state allows it).  Anything else looks castrated.

Lots of people seem to have trouble with their M1A/M14 scope mounts but I've never had an issue with mine.  Been using it for over 30 years.  Had a Weaver 4X scope on it to start with, then a Bushnell 4X12, then a Bushnell 10X and then back to the Bushnell 4X12.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
You have two basic options: get a mount that goes over the receiver and attach a standard scope, or get a forward mount above the hand guard and attach a red dot or scout scope. The standard scope setup would be better for something larger and higher powered, but you will need to add a cheek riser to the stock (either a slip on or something drilled and mounted to the stock) in order to get a proper cheek weld. With the right scout scope or red dot, you may not have to.

I personally went for the scout scope setup, and am currently using a Nikon Force XR 2.5-8 scout scope. So far, it's working well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
For optics, I'd go with an Aimpoint T1 or H1.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't go with the Troy rail because you have to get rid of the excellent iron sights.  As others have mentioned the forward rail is a good option for a red dot.  Another option is the Vltor CASV-14 RAIL.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Ammo and mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top