Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 12:53:16 PM EDT
Well after drooling over the M1A for years i finally popped on one off of Gunbroker. Used M1a loaded with black composite stock and 22 stainless barrel. Initially wanted the walnut for historical accuracy, but the black and stainless is beautiful in my eyes. Got it for $1299 plus shipping and ffl transfer Im pretty happy with the deal so far, the gun appeared pristine in the photos, and considering a new standard is in the $1500 range, I dont think I will be disapointed.
I know its not the deal of the century, but whats your opinion?

I will eventually want an scope mount and quality optic? what do you guys use on your M!A?

Will also want a sling, extra magazines,, any suggestions on what to look for or where?

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Way to go!!  If you do a search there was just a pretty long thread about optics and mounting not that long ago.  Usually is every once in a while.  But people might not to repeat themselves as it was just like 2 weeks ago.  

I have a loaded too.  It shoots really well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with a Sadlak steel mount, LaRue LT719 rings, and an SWFA 10x42 mil/mil scope.

Be careful with whatever scope you pick. All semi auto 308s are notorious for beating optics up, so you need something durable. Also, if you ever want to shoot at any distance, it will need to have reliable tracking and externally adjustable turrets. Those features are an absolute MUST HAVE, no exceptions. The fixed powered scopes from SWFA fit those criteria, and they're only $299 for a fixed 6x or 10x, which gets you a bombproof optic that will serve you well. I would also toss a Sadlak piston and spring guide in there to give you a slight accuracy boost, and you will at least need a USGI fiberglass stock, which is significantly more rigid than the flimsy plastic garbage Springfield is using now days. For mags, it's hard to beat the CMI 20 rounders from 44mag.com for $25 and free shipping.

Link to Sadlak piston, spring guide, and scope mount

Link to LaRue rings

Link to SWFA 6x

Link to SWFA 10x

Link to CMI mags
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
As I get older, I find I both need and like good optics.  As for mounts, if it's good enough for the US Military - it's good enough for me.  This is my M1A with a Smith Enterprises Inc mount and Leupold VXR Firedot scope.  I use a Blackhawk cheek pad with this setup.  Even with the cheekpad I can still use the iron sights (national match front and rear on this rifle) with the SEI mount.

As for mags - I use only CMI or 50's to 60's USGI.

Earl

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Claude at RAparts.com for spare parts and accessories. Great service for gi parts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info! I'm not in a race to put an optic on it, but will eventually need one to see the guns full potential.  I will want to practice with its iron sights for a while.

While i have you here. Is there any ammo that i should stay away from. I picked up a box of zqi ammo from wally world seemed pretty cheap at $.50 per round.

Rifle should be here this week
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice buy !
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I get older, I find I both need and like good optics.  As for mounts, if it's good enough for the US Military - it's good enough for me.  This is my M1A with a Smith Enterprises Inc mount and Leupold VXR Firedot scope.  I use a Blackhawk cheek pad with this setup.  Even with the cheekpad I can still use the iron sights (national match front and rear on this rifle) with the SEI mount.

As for mags - I use only CMI or 50's to 60's USGI.

Earl

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/TexTuna/m1a2jpg-2.jpg
View Quote

Nice set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top