Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 6:31:36 PM EDT
Got a Mar 1945 rifle with a April 45 barrel in great shape and a gas system that fits and locks up like a dream!

The rifle also came with a nun-cut OP rod.

I'm buying an Orion 7 spring kit for it but also want to get a modified op-rod since I will be shooting this and don't want to risk cracking such a rare part.
Where can I find an op-rod and what can I expect to pay?

Pics to follow.

Potential tiger stripes

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That is sweet! Love the uncut op-rod and nice wood. Any cartouches?

I just did a quick check on Gunbroker for op-rods and wow, prices have about doubled in the last 5 years. Most of the prices seem to be in the $150 range. Check out Auction # 435159196. It is a SA-6 like yours with the modification, new piston and reparked.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately no cartouches.

But it is an absolutely gorgeous rifle. I'd dare say the best I have got so far, I have a Dane VAR, standard SA M1, SA M1D, M1 Carbine and an M1903 through them, all great rifles but this one is a true gem.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
All of my Garands, my M1 Carbine and my 1903A3 came through the CMP. My first was a VAR barreled Dane. That was followed quickly by a post war SA RRAD rebuild. That one turns out to be a 4.29 mil early post war with the original barrel. Probably my luckiest catch from them. My favorite is a Winchester that I built off a stripped receiver I picked up at the South Store. I still need a IHC to round out  the collection but that may be tough to get economically.

The Dane came with lockbars.

The Winchester shoots pretty good.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Lockbars?! You lucky bastage! My Dane is a 1942 and I want lock bars for it.  Eventually I'd like a Wichester but I think an M1C is the next to buy but it's going to wait a while, I'm just a poor college student now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
One more showoff. I am going to take all the oldest parts from my parts kits and put together a mutt on this.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot it with the uncut....remember WW2 and most of Korea was won with uncut rods...only change it if you plan on launching grenades with it...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot it with the uncut....remember WW2 and most of Korea was won with uncut rods...only change it if you plan on launching grenades with it...
View Quote

Ok, so it was the pressure from grenades that took the toll? All my others were cut and all I've read is how rare the uncut are. I'll stop worrying.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ok, so it was the pressure from grenades that took the toll? All my others were cut and all I've read is how rare the uncut are. I'll stop worrying.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes the grenade launching exerted more force than regular ammo..that and a "corner" created a stress point.  Regular ammo was fine....

A MWO came out post WW2 indicating they should either field modified or replaced especially if the rifle was used for launching grenades.

When rifles came in for rebuild they left with a modified rod and the uncut went into a pile to be cut...

However your rifle looks nice...non chromed barrel etc..I'd hunt down correct type 3 lockbars and other little parts as needed and shoot it as WW2 rifle..
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, I vote shoot the heck out of the thing.

Quoted:
Lockbars?! You lucky bastage! My Dane is a 1942 and I want lock bars for it.  Eventually I'd like a Wichester but I think an M1C is the next to buy but it's going to wait a while, I'm just a poor college student now.
View Quote

My M1A came with lockbars from Springfield. Go figure.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking to sell that Op rod? If so PM me
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes the grenade launching exerted more force than regular ammo..that and a "corner" created a stress point.  Regular ammo was fine....  

A MWO came out post WW2 indicating they should either field modified or replaced especially if the rifle was used for launching grenades.

When rifles came in for rebuild they left with a modified rod and the uncut went into a pile to be cut...

However your rifle looks nice...non chromed barrel etc..I'd hunt down correct type 3 lockbars and other little parts as needed and shoot it as WW2 rifle..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a completly false internet myth that keeps geting repeated over and over. Firing grenades is not the reason for modifying uncut op rods and changing to cut op rods.
With the grenade launcher installed the tab inserts into the poppet gas screw and opens the valve bleeding off gas. . When the rifle is fired the op rod maybe moves a inch, the rifle does not even cycle.
The reason for modifiying and changing to cut op rods is simple, 90 degree angles in metal are prone to cracking. This happened from normal firing and had absolutly nothing to do with firing grenades

To the OP , the uncut op rod is not rare, they are getting harder to find but are only worth a small premium over a modified op rods. Looks like you received a nice rifle, congrats
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#12]
my game plan is to swap one of my modified op rods back and forth and spare this one the chance of failure.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 cut op-rods and only need one. $75+ shipping if you want it. One has been parked at one time in the past. The other is original finish.

edit to add, your choice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have 2 cut op-rods and only need one. $75+ shipping if you want it. One has been parked at one time in the past. The other is original finish.  

View Quote

how do the pistons gauge?

sorry it took so long to respond.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sold it and shipped it out this afternoon already. I needed just one of them so I have to hang on to the other one I have.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sold it and shipped it out this afternoon already. I needed just one of them so I have to hang on to the other one I have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no problem, I appreciate the offer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your welcome, enjoy your new rifle!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top