Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2014 7:06:54 PM EDT
Going from a standard m1a to a scout? Other than not doing it sooner?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my standard M14. I have no interest in the scout.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The 18.0" barrel on the Bush, Scout, and MK14 rifles has proven itself to be the best compromise for general purpose use & mayhem.
I don't care for the scout mount that SAI uses, the UltiMAK & M14.ca railed hand guards are much better for forward mounted optics.

The standard 22.0" is best for those that shoot irons, shoot beyond 800 yards and want that Vietnam era, or M14EBR-RI look.

My only regret is selling the two 18.0" MK14s I had. No worries though, I still have a 22.0" and a 16.25" M14.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking at converting my polytech is why I'm asking. I'm looking to scale it down some for hunting. I go through lots of brush and woods obstacles. I'm wanting essentially a Bush rifle like Springfield armory used to sell. Not going the scout mount way though.  I'm well aware of the minor velocity loss, shorter sighting plane. I'm not proficient at shooting irons to 800 yds, don't plan to be, though I can shoot them fine at shorter ranges. It will get scoped in traditional manner with either a 7 or 10x max scope.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking at converting my polytech is why I'm asking. I'm looking to scale it down some for hunting. I go through lots of brush and woods obstacles. I'm wanting essentially a Bush rifle like Springfield armory used to sell. Not going the scout mount way though.  I'm well aware of the minor velocity loss, shorter sighting plane. I'm not proficient at shooting irons to 800 yds, don't plan to be, though I can shoot them fine at shorter ranges. It will get scoped in traditional manner with either a 7 or 10x max scope.
View Quote

Your plan is solid.
Both of my 18.0" MK14s were built by SEI on Norinco receivers that I supplied. Awesome rifles.

I recommend a standard weight barrel for your build, this will keep the weight down.
Since you will rely on an optic, I would suggest a GLFS made for the 18.0", the GLFS-H-18 is the lightest.
Use the DC Vortex or a Good Iron brake that further reduces the OAL.

The CASM from M14.ca is an excellent, light weight scope mount that is worth consideration.
Scope, rings, and cheek riser are an entirely different can of worms

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got the riser,  Other stuff handled. Literally waiting on the jb weld to dry on a stock so I can finish inletting it for an ebr graft. Had to fill some internal recesses since the rail grooves cut into a couple hollow sections. Once that is done I need to order a trigger shoe from you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  To me its trying to turn the rifle into something it was never meant to be.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same here.  To me its trying to turn the rifle into something it was never meant to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also agree. If you want a rifle, the M1 or M14 family is it.
If you can't hit anything past the other side of the room, get one of the cut off cutesy things (with bells and whistles).
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got the riser,  Other stuff handled. Literally waiting on the jb weld to dry on a stock so I can finish inletting it for an ebr graft. Had to fill some internal recesses since the rail grooves cut into a couple hollow sections. Once that is done I need to order a trigger shoe from you.
View Quote

Sounds good.

Let me know if I can assist.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I'll hang some cutesy pink ribbons to go with the shiny bells. I'm trying to make it the most useful for my needs.. Sawed off cutesy thing is what it'll be for me. I'm good with that. As far as my marksmanship goes. Don't need to get into that. I know my limits.
Thanks for the input folks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Graft pics?????
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Graft pics?????
View Quote

Mine isn't done yet. I'm doing the inletting of the stock rails currently. There is a thread on it on the m14 forum. Basically the ass end from a sage chassis fit to a gi glass stock. I believe only 1 or 2 other people have done one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#12]
My SA Bush (then Scout, then back to Bush) rifle is the best general purpose rifle I have owned.  No regrets about owning a NM M14, and several heavy barrel bolt guns.  But if I got the call to show up at a bridge at Zero-dark-thirty ready to defend what I hold dear,  my Bush rifle would be slung over my shoulder.

Paladin
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks paladin. That is pretty much exactly what I want. I may get another full size down the road, but that would just be for nostalgia. I love this platform for the role I want it to fill. The Bush style just seems to be the best all around size for me. It will most likely retain the gi stock it's in now, but will try it out in the hybrid that I'm almost done with.  I appreciate everyone's feedback on it. Should have barrel swap done in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

This

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Took my M1A "scout" to the range yesterday and was very pleased with the
way it shot-- the muzzle brake seems to make quite a bit of difference in
terms of felt recoil.

Some years ago, I owned a full-sized M1A NM, and I have to say that I like
the shorter/handier scout platform much better.  It is my opinion that M1A fans
should at least make a point to handle/shoot the scout version before making up their
minds...
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It is my opinion that M1A fans should at least make a point to
handle/shoot the scout version before making up their minds...
View Quote

This.

There are a few that didn't like the SOCOM after trying it... the proprietary compensator does
deliver quite a blast, but I can't  think of anyone not liking the Bush/Scout/MK14 after trying one.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had a loaded/standard length for years.  Its a good rifle.  As my son grew I decided we needed another m1a.  I ended up going shorter and got a socom.  I was surprised how much I like the way the short rifle handles.  It has become my go to long gun.  Having said that I'm not getting rid of my 22".  I can envision a few scenarios where the extra length might come in handy but they would be the exception.  Fwiw I put match sights, trigger job and a vortex on the socom and I shoot it better than the 22" at the 100 yd range I frequent.  
Josh
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have had a loaded/standard length for years.  Its a good rifle.  As my son grew I decided we needed another m1a.  I ended up going shorter and got a socom.  I was surprised how much I like the way the short rifle handles.  It has become my go to long gun.  Having said that I'm not getting rid of my 22".  I can envision a few scenarios where the extra length might come in handy but they would be the exception.  Fwiw I put match sights, trigger job and a vortex on the socom and I shoot it better than the 22" at the 100 yd range I frequent.  
Josh
View Quote

The shorter barrels are more rigid than the 22" standard barrel... the 18.0" & 16.25" tubes tend to be very accurate.

As I mentioned earlier, I have distilled my collection down to a medium heavy 22" EBR
and a standard 16.25" that will be installed in a new Blackfeather "RS" over the summer.
Both are keepers

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I prefer Garands to M1A's but if I ever do buy one it will have a 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Boy it'd be a tough call to choose between my LRB Winchester build with 22" barrel and the 18" one with the Vortex on it.  I'd probably pick to keep the full size for nostalgia reasons but they're both sweet rifles.  

I have no desire for a 16" or shorter unless I can suppress it.    I hate the noise!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have no desire for a 16" or shorter unless I can suppress it.    I hate the noise!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#22]
When I retire to a free state!

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I will try my can on it when I'm finished. Haven't been overly impressed with over all noise of these things with a can on them.  Ar's seem to be better hosts for a semi. I much prefer my bolt gun with a can though. It just gets yoyo heavy to lug around the woods.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Scouts are fantastic guns....for your purpose, going to the Scout platform might be a good ticket.

For me, I ended up preferring the extra range and sight radius of a standard rifle.  I traded my Scout for a Colt A2 rifle and a bunch of mags.

My Scout was a seriously cool weapon, however.  If you want a big gun for close range....I can't think of anything better.

''

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Scouts are fantastic guns....for your purpose, going to the Scout platform might be a good ticket.

For me, I ended up preferring the extra range and sight radius of a standard rifle.  I traded my Scout for a Colt A2 rifle and a bunch of mags.

My Scout was a seriously cool weapon, however.  If you want a big gun for close range....I can't think of anything better.

'http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=575'  
View Quote

Is that a GI stock on the Standard? I don't think I've ever seen one with that kind of grain in the wood. I like it.

The paint job on the Scout also looks great.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#27]
That is a good looking laminate stock on the standard. Reminds me off the old German mauser laminates.  The paint on the scout looks good. I'm going with the scout length but traditional scope mounting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top