Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 2:55:44 PM EDT
$749.  Seller's pictures-says it is dried grease, not rust, and IBM barrel gauges 1-1/2.  Assuming that's true, is it worth it?  I'm not very knowledgeable about carbines, but want to round out my M1 rifle and M14 clone.  Selling an AR to buy this.  It's not a $550 CMP carbine from a few years ago, but some NPM seem to go for more.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there any markings on the underside of the mag housing?  The Germans marked alot of their carbines there.  That carbine has seen service with another country that was anal about parts matching and numbers.  The US did not stamp serial numbers on stocks but other countries did such as Germany, Holland, Isreal, etc.

The next question would be how was it imported back into the country.  It was either returned as lend lease and sold by the CMP in which case there won't be import markings on the carbine anywhere - OR it was imported and sold by a distributor in which case there will be import markings on it somewhere.

To me, the price is not out of line consider the condition in the pics assuming you cannot find any import markings on it anywhere.  The CMP can verify that they sold the carbine, I think that verification costs around $25 or used to.

Earl
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot will depend upon how well it cleans up and then how much wear it has.  What did you buy it for, a collector piece or a shooter?  As a collector piece it's more of a typical mix-master group of parts so I don't see it anything really special or a great deal; here locally it would be considered average. If it's to be a shooter and it cycles well, can give reasonable groups (minute of coffee cup at 100yds would be excellent), then shoot it and enjoy.  
I've had a pristine '43 NPM for over 40 years that came out of the RRA arsenal rebuild cycle with a rare high wood stock. It's got the original Marlin barrel (a solid 2 at the muzzle) and mostly NPM parts and NPM stock.  Further, it came in a box of two carbines, each with a leather wrapped bayonet and early scabbard, cleaning set in canvas case with oil and grease, stock mag pouch, magazines, canvas muzzle cover, and even a 'spam can' of ammo in cotton slings.  

While I have shot it a few times, it's so pristine that I retired it decades ago as my 1st collector piece.  Here's a picture of it with my 2nd collector piece, a retired 'Correct Grade' '53 100% HRA M1 Garand.

My son and I shoot another M1 Garand and M1 Carbine for fun as these are part of his collection of WWII combatant's battle rifle and sidearm collection.  BTW, It was considered a decent deal at $100 for the whole kit when I got it in 1972.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like an Israeli return...nice looking rebuild...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought it as a casual shooter.  Never going to be a high round count gun, but I don't have any safe queens.  Still shoot a collector's grade HRA Garand once in a blue moon.

What makes you think it's Israeli?  The stock?  Or...?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
You did good on it. Keep it properly lubed and be mindful of cleaning. There is no reason for you not to make it a high volume shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top