Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 11:25:25 AM EDT
Ok, here's my scenario. I'm going on a bear hunt next month. Normally I'd just take my 30-30, but the owner of the place we're going said to bring something that fires a larger cartridge and that semi-autos were allowed. To me, I'd say a 30-30 would do the job, but a chance to hunt with my M1 is something I don't want to pass up (live in PA, no semi hunting allowed). I however do not have a scope for my rifle. I've looked at some options online, but I just want to see what some people's opinions are with their experiences.

I want to get a mount that sits ahead of the receiver (where the clip is inserted) since the offset scope just doesn't feel right to me. I'm also looking for functional, not cutting edge top quality. I can only afford so much. The scope I could probably just take off my 30-30 or buy a cheaper scope if I need to, it's the mount I'm wondering the most about. Any recommendations at all would help.

And please, no comments  saying "that rifle sucks, use this rifle instead", "use the offset mount, so much better", my minds already made up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you hunting, medium woods, rolling hills, in a stand, over bait?  

Most times I've come across bears of either flavor it was close enough that a scope wasn't needed.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I recommend not scoping a Garand....

lol

I really think the USGI mount would be best if you are going to scope one, or an Ultimak with an EER scope....
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]
for $185 I wanna see how it mounts to the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I own the Amega Ranges, and it is a solid mount.  Other guys vouch for the Ultimak--and I'd say the Ultimak is lower profile and generally overall better-looking.

I use a Burris pistol scope, with a "Ballistic Plex" reticle.  Mine is the 3X12,  mounted in Leupold QRW rings (med) but I'd say you'd be doing better with the 2X7 with low rings, just for the smaller footprint and weight savings.  I can't go up higher than 9X mag without losing eye relief anyhow.

I like the QRW rings because I can shoot irons, then slap a scope on the rifle in fifteen seconds--and it is repeatable enough for sure.

You'll want to spend some range time getting used to the setup.  With my scope (especially with the med rings) I have more of a chin weld than a cheek weld--but you learn to read the sight picture to get consistent.  One good thing about the 3X12 (extra magnificaiton aside) is that it has adjustable parallax.

You might want to consider a Ramline synthetic stock.  They are actually really good--though you'll want to glass bed the front ferrule, and I dremeled out the rear sling swivel stud and epoxied in a proper Garand rear sling swivel.  Use (I think) a 10/24 allen head bolt under the buttplate.  It is a good lightweight all-weather stock, and it makes the rifle pleasantly nose-heavy.  Some guys glass-bedded a sling swivel with a plate epoxied in place up front inside the barrel/op rod channel, and then you have the capability to mount a bipod, if you like.  It actually looks pretty badass (lol).

Anyhow--hope this helps.

Post pics of your hunt.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll have to offset the garand no matter what. I recommend the InstaMount by S&K. What you do is remove the rear wind age knob and put on the InstaMount. It has the S&K style but comes with 1 inch rings. You can buy the kontour ring for 30mm but I had to sand down the rear one for it to fit in the slot. They also offer the weaver kind so you can get your own scope mount. You can get it off S&K site or from fulton armory: http://www.fulton-armory.com/scopemountw1-inrings.aspx

Now if you want to mount forward you can order a front hand guard rail from fulton armory. http://www.fulton-armory.com/handguardrearsuperscoutrail.aspx

They have a 10% off sales right now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll have to offset the garand no matter what. I recommend the InstaMount by S&K. What you do is remove the rear wind age knob and put on the InstaMount. It has the S&K style but comes with 1 inch rings. You can buy the kontour ring for 30mm but I had to sand down the rear one for it to fit in the slot. They also offer the weaver kind so you can get your own scope mount. You can get it off S&K site or from fulton armory: http://www.fulton-armory.com/scopemountw1-inrings.aspx

Now if you want to mount forward you can order a front hand guard rail from fulton armory. http://www.fulton-armory.com/handguardrearsuperscoutrail.aspx

They have a 10% off sales right now.
View Quote

Aren't you the same drama queen who told everybody NOT to order from Fulton Armory in THIS... thread?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes I said don't order any rifles there. My opinion still stands. They make great parts and products just piss poor communication with the build time. I never said anything bad about their stuff. They sell great stuff.

Edit however lets not derail this guys topic. Please move your dislike right on to my topic that way at least this guy can get the proper scope moun installed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#8]
OK, OP--how about an update--so what did you go with?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really think the USGI mount would be best if you are going to scope one, or an Ultimak with an EER scope....
View Quote

The only USGI mount for the M1 Garand that I know of was the M1-D mount. I've got one on a CMP M1-D. The base is a sleeve force fitted on the rear of the barrel and has 7/8" rings. Except for the USGI scope, I don't know of any vender that makes a 7/8" scope body. The USGI scope is only about 2.8X. USGI also came with 1" rings; however, they are extremely rare and pricey.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered the Amega mount. As for the scope I'm still looking at my options. I'll stop by a gun store later today with what I've heard so far and check some out for myself.

@ 50-140, I'm hunting up in Maine where they have a bunch of bait scattered around the area. I've never been hunting bear before, but from what everyone's telling me they normally sit you away about 100 yards from the bait. Otherwise if it was close enough I'd just shrug and use the iron sights. If it's going to be that far away though I don't want to chance it too much.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Cheapest price on a scout scope I've seen is the Leatherwood.

I haven't looked into them very much--might be worth reading some reviews.

$149 - $179 Leatherwood Scout Scope at Optics Planet...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top