Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2014 6:31:12 AM EDT
Awhile back I posted on here about a Vietnam M14 starlight sniper "inspired" build.  Well the rifle is in!  M1A standard model MA9102.  I freaking love it!  Installed the Starlight scope rail mount and the scope. One problem though - the scope mount clamps, do not fully rotate to lock in place.  The clamps but up against the wood stock before they can rotate fully and clamp down (see third pic).  I will install the other parts (shuster adjustable gas plug, SEI bolt stop, YHM QD flashhider for the M2 30 cal can) when I can.  Suppressor is still pending approval by the batf. Can should be in by June. Pics!  

clamp mount issue - does anyone have any ideas how I can correct this? I am not touching the stock, am I going to have to shave down the clamp mounts to allow them to fully turn???? The clamps are at the 11 o'clock and need to rotate to the 1 o'clock position. Thanks for any help!

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm at work and they block pictures so I can't see your gun.  What stock is on it?  If it is the standard m1A walnut stock it's beefier than a USGI wood or synthetic.  Your solution may be as simple as replacing your stock with one of those.  Earl
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm at work and they block pictures so I can't see your gun.  What stock is on it?  If it is the standard m1A walnut stock it's beefier than a USGI wood or synthetic.  Your solution may be as simple as replacing your stock with one of those.  Earl
View Quote

Yes it's the standard one.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I had no idea that the "standard" stock was larger than the GI one. I may shave those turn knobs down a hair.... really dont want to mess with the stock, or get another one at this point. damn.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, there are differences.  If your desire is to create as close a clone as possible - a USGI stock would fit the bill better.  You can even get a dummy selector kit.  Here are pics of mine (no starlight scope though!)  How heavy is that thing?  :)

Earl
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep, there are differences.  If your desire is to create as close a clone as possible - a USGI stock would fit the bill better.  You can even get a dummy selector kit.  Here are pics of mine (no starlight scope though!)  How heavy is that thing?  :)

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/TexTuna/m1a1jpg.jpg
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/TexTuna/m1a2jpg.jpg

Earl
View Quote

Nice looking rifle! Thanks. The starlight scope with batteries is easily 7lbs. To say that is combersome is an understatement. That being said, the scope I have (Israeli refurb) is pretty clean and clear with a good night sky. My buddies have been giving me hell today about this rifle build. I know I like the random weird stuff and probably deserve it! Okay so now where to find a good used gi stock? The EE?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
EE can certainly work.  There are M14 stocks on there pretty regularly.  

Gunbroker and gun shows are an option.

I can also recommend Fred's M14 Stocks.  I don't know if links are allowed so I won't post one but if you google Fred's M14 Stocks you'll hit his site.  He provides I think the best stocks.  I don't know for sure since It was on it when I bought it but I'm pretty sure the stock on my M1A came from him.  He sells them, call's them Big Red's.

Earl
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
EE can certainly work.  There are M14 stocks on there pretty regularly.  

Gunbroker and gun shows are an option.

I can also recommend Fred's M14 Stocks.  I don't know if links are allowed so I won't post one but if you google Fred's M14 Stocks you'll hit his site.  He provides I think the best stocks.  I don't know for sure since It was on it when I bought it but I'm pretty sure the stock on my M1A came from him.  He sells them, call's them Big Red's.

Earl
View Quote

Awesome- thanks Earl
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it possible to take the stock off, tighten the mount, and then put the stock back on? Not sure if that would solve your issue or if it is even a possibility
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it possible to take the stock off, tighten the mount, and then put the stock back on? Not sure if that would solve your issue or if it is even a possibility
View Quote

I think that would actually work. Too bad my impatient ass already shaved the clamps down!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
That's neat. I've never seen a scope with a rifle attached to it. Same concept as the GAU-8
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Update~ Suppressor stamp is in and the can is on the rifle.  She is not a light weight one and is pushing close to 18 pounds.

Her she is next to my SBR'd Mk18 mod 0 "wanna be" build.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my PVS-2 and a 1990s vintage PVS-4 for a bit of size comparison.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Neat guns and night vision!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top