Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2014 3:26:16 PM EDT
Found some discussion in the archives but most are pretty old. I am looking for a scope sub $300 closer to the $200 mark.
Options that I am interested in.

SWFA SS 10x fixed

Vortex diamondback 3-9X

Nikon BuckMaster 3-9x

Any more options you guys would recommend?

My concern with the fixed is that it would be great for target but 10x fixed might be too much for hunting. My concern with the nikon and the vortex is how they will hold up to the M1A's abuse.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Found some discussion in the archives but most are pretty old. I am looking for a scope sub $300 closer to the $200 mark. Options that I am interested in.

SWFA SS 10x fixed
Vortex diamondback 3-9X
Nikon BuckMaster 3-9x

My concern with the fixed is that it would be great for target but 10x fixed might be too much for hunting. My concern with the nikon and the vortex is how they will hold up to the M1A's abuse.

View Quote

Out of that list, you can't go wrong with the SS 10x. I've used and abused one, but have now upgraded to variable MIL/MIL. I'm a fan of Vortex's Viper PST line.

Nathan
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Range dependent, but the SWFA 10X Mildot is hard to beat for the price.  There are a few Nikons (not Monarchs) that are quality glass and will serve well for hunting.  I have a Nikon 4.5-14 Mil-Dot that has served well on top my M1A NM.  It works great for a wife field of view and range finding.  Haven't had the chance to take it past 600 yards yet.  Very clear, price was $280 a year ago.  The SWFA build quality is slightly higher on the tube, but the view isn't as crisp.  Still, 10x Mil Dot is good for every distance.  Heck of a scope at a good price.  It comes down to preference, the side focus on the Nikon really serves me well when I don't want to make too many movements.  The SWFA is a little stiff to turn out back.  Again, for the price, both serve well. Id edge towards the Nikon, Mils are accurate at 12X with a good field of view.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
A second vote for SS 10x, Bassett mount, and good rings.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A second vote for SS 10x, Bassett mount, and good rings.
View Quote
I have an A.R.M.S. mount my only concern is if for closer targets such as deer at 50 yards will the fixed 10x be a hinderance?

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Out of that list, you can't go wrong with the SS 10x. I've used and abused one, but have now upgraded to variable MIL/MIL. I'm a fan of Vortex's Viper PST line.

Nathan
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found some discussion in the archives but most are pretty old. I am looking for a scope sub $300 closer to the $200 mark. Options that I am interested in.

SWFA SS 10x fixed
Vortex diamondback 3-9X
Nikon BuckMaster 3-9x

Nathan

If the variable MIL/MIL is the SS 3-15, then I have done the same.

To the OP, I ran a 20x (same ruggedness) SS in an AR50 for several years.  Stood up quite nicely.

I also ran several 10x on AR-10s and bolt guns over the years.

Great scopes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

To the OP, I ran a 20x (same ruggedness) SS in an AR50 for several years.  Stood up quite nicely.

Great scopes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWFA SS 10x fixed

Vortex diamondback 3-9X

Nikon BuckMaster 3-9x

Nathan

Great scopes.

Did you hunt with the 10x? If so was the 10x Fixed Zoom an issue for closer range hunting?

Also which SWFA 10x do people recommend.

or the

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did you hunt with the 10x? If so was the 10x Fixed Zoom an issue for closer range hunting?  

SS MRAD http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

or the

SS MOA http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SWFA SS 10x fixed
Vortex diamondback 3-9X
Nikon BuckMaster 3-9x

Nathan

Great scopes.

SS MRAD http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

or the

SS MOA http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

Don't hunt but I know what the sight picture is like at 50 yards and it is quite usable at that range.

As for MOA versus MILRAD, that's all a matter of preference.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know your hunting terrain but if you can expect some close in shots at the sneaky deer coming in from unexpected places near in, then I would not want to be stuck with 10x.   Where I hunt is woods and fields.  I like a variable set on 3 or 4x and can zoom up to 10x when the need arises.  Normally there is time if the deer is feeding at 300yds.  If the deer is traveling in the woods off to my side on a trail then I only have so much time to decide to shoot, find in the scope, aim, and pick a shot in a shooting lane.  

A Nikon buckmark tactical might be what you seek.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x from Midway is under $300 and is a pretty decent scope for the money.  No parallax adjustment, but it has repeatable clicks and resettable turrets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/weaver-tactical-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Up close snap shots the lower the better.
I am running a 1.5 - 5x Leupold.
I don’t know about service life, but some of the Nikon’s have very nice glass or plastic as the case may be for the price.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
No competition-- the SWFA SS 10x42 in the Mil/Mil flavor is probably the most durable and reliable scope as far as tracking goes that you can get for under $800. That's what I had on my EBR, and it held up like a rock. With the foward momentum of a .308/x51 bolt, you want as durable of a scope as you can buy. If you're worried about 10x being too much magnification, then get the 6x, which would work for man sized targets out to 600m or so.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No competition-- the SWFA SS 10x42 in the Mil/Mil flavor is probably the most durable and reliable scope as far as tracking goes that you can get for under $800. That's what I had on my EBR, and it held up like a rock. With the foward momentum of a .308/x51 bolt, you want as durable of a scope as you can buy. If you're worried about 10x being too much magnification, then get the 6x, which would work for man sized targets out to 600m or so.
View Quote

Excellent point.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Was able to get a vortex diamondback 4-12 BDC for $189 out the door. With going with the Vortex and their unconditional  lifetime warranty if the optic fails Vortex will replace it.  here is how it looks.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had good luck with Nicon's in the past.  Clear glass, holds accuracy, and works well in hunting conditions (cold, wet, snow, fog, ect).  I have a leupold on my M1a and only ever had one problem in many years where one of the lens came loose, which Leupold fixed.  I have a cheap simmons on my garand that works well.

For hunting, I'd stay away from a fixed 10x or even 6x.  A 50 yard shot at a non-fixed object will be chalenging with 10x, a little less so with 6x.  I normally run 4x when hunting and rarely crank up the power unless I'm looking for horns or a longer shot presented itself.

I believe Nikon makes a 4-12 scope in the 200 dollar range.  I would look into those scopes as they have a lot of usable power, lower for hunting and 12x for targets or extreme long range.

Nikon has a Lifetime warranty also.  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fassets%2Fproduct_files%2Fpdf%2Fnikon_warranty.pdf&ei=vtJGU6KiJuSwyQG8_oDgDQ&usg=AFQjCNH6TY92cr1nZAvpFLgRJ3g-WZ8XYA&bvm=bv.64507335,d.aWc
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't recall a time when I shoot what PA calls big game with a scope that was set higher than 3x. Now wood chucks those sob were 20x and 200- 400 yards away.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like leupold vx-2 3-9 with the LR reticle.  If you watch Midway discount codes they are 304 delivered.  I have been pleased with mine and the quality of the glass with hunting in low light.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
weaver tactical grand slam through midway, the SS is a tank
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Question is do you have a mount for your m1a? And what about rings? That will add a little to your budget. Probably about another 150 bucks for the rings and mount depending on which one you get.

Anyway, I would say the variable scopes are the best. I don't have those brands but I do have a 3-9x40 Trijicon Accupoint. It's a 1in scope and I had the ARMS scope ring with the spacer. I had such great experience with it but I decided to go with a Trijicon Acog since it always been my dream build. The 3x of the scope really helps and aid in up close shots. During hunting season, using another rifle, I found the Accupoint to be a excellent deer scope and easy to hit it in 50-100 yards.

The accupoint is a little above your budget. On Amazon you can get it for about 700 bucks. A Acog is about 900 bucks on the site as well. I know that's a little over your budget but consider that.

Now as far as your list, I would go with the Vortex Diamondback. Haven't had actual experience with it but it looks like a decent scope. It's a 1in scope so get a 1 in ring though I recommend getting 30mm rights with spacers just in case you want to switch out scopes.

Which ever one you get, do get it with a mil dot.

That's my 2cents.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Was able to get a vortex diamondback 4-12 BDC for $189 out the door. With going with the Vortex and their unconditional  lifetime warranty if the optic fails Vortex will replace it.  here is how it looks.

http://media501.dropshots.com/photos/50479/20140409/b_195112.jpg

View Quote

Whoa nice! Glad you took the Vortex. Didn't see your post until I wrote mine.

Glad you got the arms scope mount. I really like that mount.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I just ordered a Leupold Mark AR 3-9 with mil-dot for $350 delivered from Dvor. (Plus I got some DVOR credit... whatever that means.)

It's going on a Sage stock, so we will see how I like it. I went back and forth between all of the ones mentioned so far. In the end I just pulled the trigger on the leupold, because I wanted to.

Hopefully I'll get it set up soon, and be able to give a report back. This is my first setup for long range, so I don't have a lot to compare it to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

And how do you plan on adjusting your dope with that scope? I don't see any externally adjustable turrets. It looks like you will have to zero at a given range and then just guess on the adjustments at further ranges. That adjustable 3-9 will also get beaten up by the recoil of the gun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And how do you plan on adjusting your dope with that scope? I don't see any externally adjustable turrets. It looks like you will have to zero at a given range and then just guess on the adjustments at further ranges. That adjustable 3-9 will also get beaten up by the recoil of the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take off the 2 caps like seen in this photo and adjust. If it does not hold up to the rifle, Vortex will replace the scope for free. I can either put that replacment scope on one of my other rifles or I can sell the replacement scope. If it holds up then it will attest to Vortex's reliability and quality that I have heard so much about. The only other Vortex product I have owned up to this point was a strikefire red dot which I have been pleased with.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Take off the 2 caps like seen in this photo and adjust. If it does not hold up to the rifle, Vortex will replace the scope for free. I can either put that replacment scope on one of my other rifles or I can sell the replacement scope. If it holds up then it will attest to Vortex's reliability and quality that I have heard so much about. The only other Vortex product I have owned up to this point was a strikefire red dot which I have been pleased with.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/rfl_dbk_s_4-12x40ao_moa_turrets-t.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/rfl_dbk_s_4-12x40ao_moa_turrets-t.jpg

Turrets of that design are not made to be cranked on every time you go shooting, and they most likely will not be repeatable. That's fine if you never plan on shooting past your zero, but if you do, you'll just have to guess the drop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top