Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2014 8:25:58 PM EDT
While I'm pretty sure I already know the answer I figured I would see what you folks think.....

This evening I traded for a Springfield Socom 16. In order to get it I had to give up a Sig Sauer P220r carry with three magazines and 100 rounds of .45 and $1000. The last bit hurt my wallet pretty good but I think it was too good to pass up.

Photo:

What made it too good for me to pass up was the extras
As you can see from the picture the gun came in a Troy Modular Chassis system with a Vltor Imod stock and Magpul Miad grip. The gun also came with an EoTech 512.A65 (I checked it's real), Troy folding front and rear buis, and a Vortex crossfire II illuminated 3-9.... Oh and it came with 4-20 round magazines and 480 rounds of mixed (but mostly Winchester white box) ammo to fill them with.

Soooooo..... How did I do?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You did terrible. It's a clone. Look at the
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You did OK.  Wear plugs and muffs when you fire that.  We were shooting one under overhead cover, very loud due to the mzzle brake.  Much louder than a 20" FAL.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome looking rifle...but LOUD!  And heavy - both ammunition and rifle itself.

But, like I said, I do love the look.

Had one, realized I would never grab it over other rifles in the safe and sold it.  I simply handled the rifle FAR more than I shot it..
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#4]
It is on the heavy side that's for sure. But my Dad has a Socom II in the Vltor stock and with the quadrail on the front his is very unbalanced. This Troy on the other hand is very balanced and easy to bring up to my shoulder.

Having shot his before I definitely understand how deafening it is. Glad I've got some good ear protection on hand.

Hoping I can make it out this weekend if the boss doesn't make me work Saturday.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder why they even put a brake on those?   Easy change tho.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You did terrible. It's a clone. Look at the
View Quote

....?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This Troy on the other hand is very balanced and easy to bring up to my shoulder.

View Quote

I can't tell for sure, but is the bolt that goes into the side of the receiver missing?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
It is. I did not notice this until later. Does anyone know if it is a proprietary Troy bolt?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Call Troy, They will send you one for free. They'll send an entire bolt kit for the stock so you have extra of each. At least they did for me a few years ago.

Also... Loctite that fucker in. Mine fell out after I replaced it, and I am glad I happened to see it fall off. (blue version of thread locking compound recommended.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Call Troy, They will send you one for free. They'll send an entire bolt kit for the stock so you have extra of each. At least they did for me a few years ago.

Also... Loctite that fucker in. Mine fell out after I replaced it, and I am glad I happened to see it fall off. (blue version of thread locking compound recommended.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to get ahold of them today

I am going to loctite that screw when I get it and the screws that mount where rear sight used to be. I found they we're very loose as well
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am going to loctite that screw when I get it and the screws that mount where rear sight used to be. I found they we're very loose as well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That fucking brake will loosen your fillings.  Use white locktite on them
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a little busy finishing up the move so I didn't get to go shooting this weekend. However the new house is only a couple miles away now from my favorite gunshop so I swung by there and picked up a BCM  mod 0 gunfighter grip and a bunch of Larue index clips for the rails.  Both huge improvements IMO.

Also I finally got a chance to contact Troy today about that missing bolt on the MCS and wow am I impressed. I told them that I wanted to buy the bolt, and that I was the second owner of the stock and without hesitation they asked for my address and said they'd send the whole bolt set for the stock no charge. Hell that's better service than I've received from companies that I've given money to.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Very good deal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Long time with no update but I finally got to shoot this thing this last Sunday. I am so happy :)

I took 100 rounds with me to the desert along with a Co worker and my Dad and we had a blast. I wish I would've taken more ammo with me. Had to adjust the Eotech to hit poa at 120 but it was on target after a few rounds. I don't shoot on paper So I don't have targets to see MOA but I was hitting clay pigeons at 120 yards offhand no problem with the eotech.

Here's a picture of my fat a** with the Socom,

like most people say this is a little heavy of a set up but I don't mind. Im hoping to shoot this a lot more if I can afford the .308
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome!

The 1st MCS I fired had a SOCOM 16 in it.
I swear the muzzle brake pushed the nose down slightly when fired.
Very smooth.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#16]
That looks like one tanky gun. My AR10 is super fat too.

How much does that baby weigh?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet.  I have a SOCOM, and love it.  Happy shooting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top