Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2011 2:08:14 PM EDT
For the past 6 months, I have been frustrated over trying to get a working mount for my Springfield M1A. I tried a Springfield Gen 3 and an ARMS 18 and neither would get the scope on target, I would simply run out of adjustment. Turns out the dovetail on my receiver is not to USGI spec. So, I chose to buy a Bassett as a last resort before selling my M1A. Well, I installed it and wham, right on target! I got it bore sighted, good to go for a range session Saturday. From what I hear, this mount will not shoot loose. It was only $90, I am going to put it to the test. Here is my rifle all ready to go:

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the low? I have the low on mine and I am very satisfied with mine. Good buy and nice rifle
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the high, and I used the weaver rings they recommended with it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's the high, and I used the weaver rings they recommended with it.

You will love this mount!! I bought one a couple of years ago. I have had it on and off numerous times throughout, and it has never lost it's zero. It comes right back to zero without no corrections. Just make sure you install it the same way every time, and if you add any weight to the rifle you might have to slightly readjust zero.  It's like the Larue of M1A mounts, but just not as quick to detach. I like it because I can switch from scope to irons, and also my red dot that I have mounted in an ADM that qd's on to a clip guide rail I leave installed on it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I finally got a mount that works! I put 60 rounds of Federal gold medal match 168gr's through it, the outcome was groups less than an inch at 100yds. I'll post some pics later on this afternoon. I am thrilled with the mount, it has stayed rock solid thus far.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent!

I hear good things about them.  I had a springfield gen 2 that always shot loose and I replaced it with a Smith (weaver type cross slots not the later picatinny as they were dirt cheap compared to the current version)  Wish the bassett was known then I might have got one instead.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Here's the groups on the first run. First 3 rounds just at an inch, then I shot a 6 round group for confirm zero, you can see I pulled one, but got 5 in an inch. Not too bad for an M1A. This was 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match, the barrel is a Douglas 1:10. BTW I tried to shoot some Winchester Q1313 7.62 NATO as well.... about 3 MOA. The barrel did not like that stuff one bit. I'll stick to the 168gr sierra match kings that come loaded in the Federal. Now to start cooking up my own load for this gun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/mgwantob/Picture-1.jpg

Here's the groups on the first run. First 3 rounds just at an inch, then I shot a 6 round group for confirm zero, you can see I pulled one, but got 5 in an inch. Not too bad for an M1A. This was 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match, the barrel is a Douglas 1:10. BTW I tried to shoot some Winchester Q1313 7.62 NATO as well.... about 3 MOA. The barrel did not like that stuff one bit. I'll stick to the 168gr sierra match kings that come loaded in the Federal. Now to start cooking up my own load for this gun.

Glad to see it worked out for you The Bassett usually does

I worked up a load of 41.0 grains of IMR 4895 with 168gr Hornady BTHP's. It works great. I want to try some Nosler's and some Sierra's next to see if it gets any better.

If I ever get another M1A, it will have a Bassett, hands down.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice shooting!
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
To the OP:

Where did you pick up your Basset mount? I have heard of them but can't remember ever seeing
one offered for sale.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#10]
www.bassettmachine.com is where I got mine, right from the maker.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#11]
You will love the mount !!Never shoots loose and returns to zero everytime you remount!Buy the basset and spend no more money on scope mounts for your m1a!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top