Posted: 6/2/2009 4:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TOTHEMAX]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

So..you want to buy a M1 Garand..

No.. but I would trade off all that I have listed for sale in the EE for a real nice one

BTW, great post!

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice post, needs a tack!
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Great post!
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice post! Well done.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
good post !
thanks for taking the time to help those interested in the M1.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, good post!

I just bought a post war all correct HRA from Tony @ Orion 7 the other day.  I won't hesitate to recommend him for rifles or parts/service.

I will post pics when it arrives next week.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Great post.  Deserves a tack.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Outstanding job, this should really serve as a great resource for anyone looking to get started or help maintain their new M1's or any treasures from the CMP.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#14]
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Most excellent post, Dog1.

There are two types of people in this world; those that already have Garands and those who are still shopping for their first one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:23:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drshame] [#17]
More M1 Info:
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/

It's also got tips on the care & feeding of your "New" 60 year old M1...how to clean them up from their long-storage cosmoline and even how to refinish and steam out dents on the old stocks and clean them up "Like New".

1953 CMP Springfield Garand

+1 for don't get too obsessed with TE and ME...see how they shoot before worrying about a new barrel.. Learn to love "Enblocs" and "be the ping".  

1943 CMP Springfield Service Grade Garand, 1943 Springfield Barrel, Lockbar sights, SA/GAW Stock.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#18]
This is a great thread, way to go Dog and the other who have supplied great info, unlike me who just asks questions  :D

preciate it guys.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:50:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: panzersergeant] [#19]
This is a great essay that I found on the web somewhere a while back. I wish I knew who wrote it so I could give him his props.

ETA recently found out this was written a few years back by a member here whose screen name is "Houston's_Problem."  Thanks HP!

Why I like Garands

It satisfies the eyes. It looks warm, robust, serious, and capable. It looks like victory, freedom and liberation. It looks friendly. It does not look evil. It does not look delicate. It does not look cheap.

It satisfies the ears. The clock like schnick when you pull the bolt back. The warning click as you shove home another 8 round clip. The massive solid slam as the bolt rams another round into the chamber. The deep throated bark of the muzzle as you fire away. The final Ka-Ting as the empty clip is ejected. The horrifying scream of agony as the guy four benches down learns never to hesitate when removing his thumb from a freshly loaded clip.

It satisfies the touch. The warm sculpted wood. The curve of the stock. The curl of the bolt lug. The take-up of the trigger. The robust, solid, yet unsharp push of the kick.

It satisfies the soul. It is the defender of liberty. It is the champion of victory. It is the guarantor of freedom. It will not be used to rob banks. No terrorist will unleash it on a crowd of unarmed victims. No gangster will use it to shoot little girls while missing his imagined gangster enemies.

It is the good guy's weapon. It is just the ticket to liberate a country. It opens the doors of concentration camps. It saves people from tyranny. It topples dictators. It squashes fascists. It pushes communists behind their walls. It defends the homeland. It provides for the common defense. It is necessary for the security of a free state.

It brings joy to women and children as they fire it. It strikes fear in the hearts of those that oppose freedom. It makes friends at the shooting range. It reminds us of the cost of freedom. Its lavish expense is appropriately justified.

It is your duty as an American to own one. Get one now. Buy ammo. Use it. Never mind the price, find the best one you can. You have no excuse. The time is now!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#20]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:59:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jimmy2spot] [#22]
New to this forum and have a bad case of M1 fever. Looking to buy my first. I am eligible to buy from the CMP but don't want to wait 4-6 months and I"m frustrated by the wildly varying prices and conditions of the few rifles I've seen. I don't need a match grade or museum piece. Looking in the $700 - $1k range. Where else can I buy with confidence? What to be aware of? Gunbroker has a lot and I see a few at gun shows. Thanks.

ETA: Dog1, that's a sweet looking Garand. What's her story? Current price on a similar rifle?
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By raf:
Since the OP asked, a couple of points:

1) I very much doubt the M1917 Enfield bayonet fits any other US rifle.

The M1917 bayonet is also used on U.S. Martial trenchguns fitted with a bayonet lug, however.

-Mark
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jimmy2spot:
New to this forum and have a bad case of M1 fever. Looking to buy my first. I am eligible to buy from the CMP but don't want to wait 4-6 months and I"m frustrated by the wildly varying prices and conditions of the few rifles I've seen. I don't need a match grade or museum piece. Looking in the $700 - $1k range. Where else can I buy with confidence? What to be aware of? Gunbroker has a lot and I see a few at gun shows. Thanks.

ETA: Dog1, that's a sweet looking Garand. What's her story? Current price on a similar rifle?

You cant buy a Garand by the way it looks. You could be looking at a reparkerized worn out rifle that is nothing more than a fancy boat anchor.
Do yourself a favor, send in your order for a  CMP Service Grade and a bunch of ammo. Set back and wait. You will be sorry you didnt when the supply is gone
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By M1G:
Originally Posted By jimmy2spot:

You cant buy a Garand by the way it looks. You could be looking at a reparkerized worn out rifle that is nothing more than a fancy boat anchor.
Do yourself a favor, send in your order for a  CMP Service Grade and a bunch of ammo. Set back and wait. You will be sorry you didnt when the supply is gone

This is sound advice
Here's my CMP Service Grade HRA:

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Great post Dog1. You have definitely sparked my interest in the CMP and purchasing a Garand. I should say again since I have always wanted one but never been in the right circumstances at the right time, if you know what I mean. Thanks for all the info. I'll be doing a lot of reading and looking for a club in my area. Have a good one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
dogbert556,
very nice HRA there.

I got my first M1 from CMP about 22 years ago, a SA service grade dated 1955.  It was a bit fugly and a mix-master, so I had aood 'smith restock it in a laminated stock, krieger barrel, NM sights, etc for High Power matches about the time when the aAR15 was just starting to show promise in that game.  I shot if at several matches for two years before loosing interest and it still is a fine accurate rifle.

Then I had a urge to get another and make it look stock a few years back.  I visited the North Store and brought back a Greek Return, F ield grade, 1944 HRA.  This one was kind of rough and the stock a hideous mixture of lumber (all ugly).  I had some of the obvious wrong era parts swapped, got it re-parkerized and had a new fancy walnut stock fitted.  It looks nice, but still not authentic.

As has been said here several times, IIf you are getting a M1 buy the highest grade you can afford because it will cost you way more to upgrad at a later date.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I got the Springfield Special grade back in January of this year.  Well worth the cost, I wish that I had the money for another one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Dog1 thanks for the great post! It's VERY thourough. I was about to post a question about the correct shape/dimension of the operating rod, since I had heard that Greek surplus ammo is too hot and will bend them. And mine was loaned to them and what other ammo would they have used? The empty brass from my Greek ammo was showing signs of getting ready for a case-head separation too. But there along with all the links, is a COLOR diagram of all the M1s parts!!
Thanks again for the peace of mind.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Who told you Greek HXP is to hot for the Garand? It is M2ball ammo designed to be shot in the Garand. Whoever told you this is  uninformed
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JPenrod:
I got the Springfield Special grade back in January of this year.  Well worth the cost, I wish that I had the money for another one.

I like the "special" grade....my concern, after I get one, if I shoot some of these CMP shoots, am I going to wish that I bought something else?

Or.....should I just pull-the-trigger!
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#34]

tagged for later
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By elkoholic:

I like the "special" grade....my concern, after I get one, if I shoot some of these CMP shoots, am I going to wish that I bought something else?

Why would you think that??
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By elkoholic:

I have yet to hear of an garand owner that was displeased.  But if you plan on doing the CMP shooting a lot and they are legal for this, you may be better off with an AR15 due to the ammo costs being 1/2 as much.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#37]
My wife is planning a road trip to the east this summer and I hope to stop at the south store.  My brother and father have purchased m1's from them in the past mail order.  I have one m1 and 2 m1 carbines but want to buy 1 or 2 more m1s .  What tools do I need to inspect them or will they check the barrel for me.    I have all the paper work.  

What should I look for?  Is it worth it to pick your own?    is it worth it to pick your own , if you have to pay sales tax?
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:
My wife is planning a road trip to the east this summer and I hope to stop at the south store.  My brother and father have purchased m1's from them in the past mail order.  I have one m1 and 2 m1 carbines but want to buy 1 or 2 more m1s .  What tools do I need to inspect them or will they check the barrel for me.    I have all the paper work.  

What should I look for?  Is it worth it to pick your own?    is it worth it to pick your own , if you have to pay sales tax?

They will let you use one of their MW gages if you leave your drivers license at the front desk.  They will also check the throat erosion for you if you take them to the desk.  Thats what I did on my first trip a few weeks ago.  I have that stuff in transit so I will have my own next time.  Hope your trip is good!

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I friend bought a M1 Garand at a cheap price. guess what it has a few problems. He asked me to take a look at it for him.
I replaced the main spring and now it slams shut nicly and fires well, but it is not cycling. is this most likly the gas tube worn out or the guide rod worn down and simply not getting the pressure build it needs?
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the info. I have a deal in the works for an M1
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#42]
The explanation of how to acquire an M1 was excellent. On another note: most local gun ranges sponsor CMP shooting matches. If you don't own an M1 you usually can rent one with ammo. I love shooting my AR.....but you will absolutely love shooting an M1 in a match. There is nothing like the FEEL of an M1 in your hands. It balances extremely well in all shooting positions. With a little practice you can keep your shots in the black on an NRA target out to 200 yards. It gets a lot tougher out at 300 and you really need to practice a ton to shoot 600 yards. The rack grade and service grade rifles shoot pretty well. For local competitions you may want to purchase a service grade rifle because they will gage well and should shoot 2" to 3" groups at 100-200 yards. Unless you are a collector and don't plan to shoot your rifle stay away from the all correct grade. They may be correct for year of build but probably will not shoot as good as the service grade rifles. I've been to CMP North several times and it's a real treat to pick out your own rifle. 9 times out of 10 the barrels on a service grade rifle will gage out at 2 or under in he throat area which is essentially a new barrel. also, for a 30-06 caliber rifle the M1 has very little recoil since the rifle weighs approx. 9 pounds.

I have 13 M1's.......... some collectable, some match conditioned and several unaltered shooters. At my club there are a few guys who like to shoot the old military rifles and it's a treat to see several of the guys on the line shooting their M1's.

Once you go M1..........it's hard to go back to your AR. Although, surplus ammo is getting hard to find and becooming quite expensive.

Good luck. PAT.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Great info Dog1. I thank you for it.  Just placed my order for my 1st 2 M1's.  Went with SG's, 1 Springfield and 1 HRA.  Naturally I came here to start asking questions about how I should prepare for their arrival and sure enough... you answered every single one of them.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Concur.  Go with CMP.  Prices are great, you pretty well know what you're getting and the customer service is second to none.  I bought a field grade 4 years ago. It was a Greek return, and the stock was pretty well beat up.  It's an amazing shooter, though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#45]
this has helped me, thank you!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#47]
when ordering through fax, do you just send them a copy of military ID to provide proof of service or is there a form you have to fill out?
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#48]
You need to fill out forms. They are on the CMP website, you can print them off
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By M1G:
You need to fill out forms. They are on the CMP website, you can print them off

yeah, but that form asks for a signature from a club officer of some kind.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#50]
You have several pages of forms to fill out Notarize etc
If in doubt contact customer service
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top