BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:39:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Petes1552:

Awesome video.  I just got mine last week.  Ordered on 3/18 received it 5/11.  Reciever in the 2.9m range, I'm really looking forward to getting it out on the range.

Nice job sneaking that CQBR in there

Only pic that I have atm, true potato style.  The stock has a lot of wear which I absolutely love.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l60/Petes1552/IMG_0206_zpspsktjjdf.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
Figured I'd throw this up here!  Maybe entice some guys who are on the fence
https://youtu.be/6JJobJQqg30

TY-webb.  It certainly wont hurt to put in a ported gas plug.  I use the one from garandgear.  It allows you to shoot any 30.06.  If you run out of ammo and want to shoot, you can grab some winchester from walmart.  It opens up your options.  I still mainly shoot M2 ball, but I like knowing I can shoot anything.  
I would say that from the CMP the rifle is SAFE.  But it may not function perfectly.  The springs are sometimes too old.  An easy fix is to also grab a spring kit form garandgear and install all of them.  It lets you get familiar with the rifle at the same time.  I got mine in january and was having issues.....replaced all the springs and its running fantastic now.

Good luck!

Awesome video.  I just got mine last week.  Ordered on 3/18 received it 5/11.  Reciever in the 2.9m range, I'm really looking forward to getting it out on the range.

Nice job sneaking that CQBR in there

Only pic that I have atm, true potato style.  The stock has a lot of wear which I absolutely love.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l60/Petes1552/IMG_0206_zpspsktjjdf.jpg

Thanks man!  Yours is looking very nice.  Our stocks look pretty similar.
And yes the CQBR's and MK18's are attention whores, no doubt about it
Mines a 1.7m SA receiver with original barrel.  It took mine a week from submitting to receiving a few months ago, so that was NICE!

The M1 has grown to be my FAVORITE rifle, period!  
If you have any issues with yours, just replace all of the springs.  Almost a guarantee that will take care of most problems.  And even if you don't have any issue, never a bad idea to replace old springs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Mines a 1.7m SA receiver with original barrel.  It took mine a week from submitting to receiving a few months ago, so that was NICE!

If you have any issues with yours, just replace all of the springs.  Almost a guarantee that will take care of most problems.  And even if you don't have any issue, never a bad idea to replace old springs.
View Quote

Right on, I love the dark finish.  That's lucky! I just missed ordering when the lead-time was very short and I ordered it when they got in all the IHC's, so I'm sure that bogged down their speed with the load of orders for those.

Haha yeah I'm waiting on my stamp now for a cqbr, I feel like I live in that damn thread

Awesome I'm really looking forward to it.  I will probably order springs just to have even if it runs like a champ.  I'm on the fence about the gas plug but will most likely get that also even if I don't install it right away.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats the best place for a good spring kit?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Right on, I love the dark finish.  That's lucky! I just missed ordering when the lead-time was very short and I ordered it when they got in all the IHC's, so I'm sure that bogged down their speed with the load of orders for those.

Haha yeah I'm waiting on my stamp now for a cqbr, I feel like I live in that damn thread

Awesome I'm really looking forward to it.  I will probably order springs just to have even if it runs like a champ.  I'm on the fence about the gas plug but will most likely get that also even if I don't install it right away.
View All Quotes

Yea Im sure they got slammed when they had the IHC's!
Yep that thread is where Im usually hanging out too haha
The garandgear plug is just plug n play, screw it in and your all set, no adjustments needed. And then if you happen to run any different 30.06 ammo your safe!  Cheap insurance, and keeps all options open!

Originally Posted By nikroft:
Whats the best place for a good spring kit?

Here
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ty_Webb] [#5]

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:59 AM
Subject: CMP Order Received 4/28/15

We have received and verified your recent order. You will receive other
emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # is XXXX. The order will not show as pending on the estore
until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If
you have any problems logging onto the estore, please let us know.

The shipping time will be determined by the amount of orders ahead of your
order.

Thank you for your order and your support of our program.

Melody Kirby
Civilian Marksmanship Program-South
Distribution Supervisor

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Mailed my order in to CMP today.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Getting ready to order by the end of the month. I was on the CMP site trying to see how to join to satisfy the membership or affiliate requirement but can't find out where.

I thought you could join for $25? Any help is appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:08:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Petes1552] [#8]
Originally Posted By WranglerJK:
Getting ready to order by the end of the month. I was on the CMP site trying to see how to join to satisfy the membership or affiliate requirement but can't find out where.

View Quote

The Garand Collectors Association

This is what I joined to order mine, it's $25 and you can have them send the info to CMP when you sign up.

ETA:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]

This is what I joined to order mine, it's $25 and you can have them send the info to CMP when you sign up.

ETA:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WranglerJK:

ETA:

Perfect, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you any better off going in to the store versus ordering online?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Acebris:
Are you any better off going in to the store versus ordering online?
View Quote

Well, you might have a little bit of a choice. With mail order, you get the next one on the rack in the grade you ordered. If you go to one of the stores, you can pick between several.

Check out the CMP forums to get an idea of what may be in stock in the stores.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: familyman357] [#12]
This is true, but keep in mind that if you get a rifle at the store you will pay sales tax as well (which is 7% for the CMP North Store in Port Clinton, OH and 10% at the CMP South Store in Anniston, AL).  You cannot pick one out at the store and then have it shipped out of state to dodge the sales tax.
I bought one from CMP North.  I just considered the sales tax my "Best of 5 All of 'Em Handpick" fee.  Plus, I'd get nailed with sales tax no matter what since I'm an Ohio resident.

If there's something that's very important to you (like a serial number in a certain range), you're going to have to try your luck at the store.  If you're just looking for a representative example in a certain broad grade, mail is fine and you can save yourself the sales tax (assuming that you're not an Ohio or Alabama resident).
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tony-Ri] [#13]
So, I'm going to a wedding in Mississippi next month and the CMP South store is only a 45 minute detour for the trip. I've put off buying a Garand for the longest time, and now is probably the time to get one rather than later. Do the stores have the same selection as those online? Do I just need to bring my club membership card, passport, driver's license, and CHP? Do they take credit cards? Can I walk in and walk out with one, or do they ship from there? (I see that was answered above) Think they might have a rack grade lying around in a corner someone forgot about?

Sorry for the dumb questions; just want to make sure I'm prepared.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Tony-Ri:
So, I'm going to a wedding in Mississippi next month and the CMP South store is only a 45 minute detour for the trip. I've put off buying a Garand for the longest time, and now is probably the time to get one rather than later. Do the stores have the same selection as those online? Do I just need to bring my club membership card, passport, driver's license, and CHP? Do they take credit cards? Can I walk in and walk out with one, or do they ship from there? (I see that was answered above) Think they might have a rack grade lying around in a corner someone forgot about?

Sorry for the dumb questions; just want to make sure I'm prepared.
View Quote

They haven't had rack grades in a while, but you may find a field grade.  The inventory at the store is VERY slim, but there are a few things that show up in the store that you can't order through the mail.  These tend to be higher priced items like collector/correct/1903 and 6 million.  There probably won't be any service grade rifles either.  Get there at opening and have fun!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the great post.  I just purchased my first Garand.  The other rifle in the photos is a minty Yugo Mauser

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WSAR15] [#16]
Thanks for the info Dog 1.
Years ago I bought some Garand receivers from CMP - they were refinished and no pitting - almost ne I'd saw.
For some time I have been buying parts here in the to rebuild the 1942 to "new" - all the parts except the barrel and stock should match the S/N build date. I'm getting closer and closer. I know it is not the most economical approach or even a good financial investment, but it will in a certain way be my "original" 1942 Garand.
PS - I'd love a Shuff's Mini-G in 308!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WSAR15:

Years ago I bought some Garand receivers from CMP - they were refinished and no pitting - almost ne I'd saw.
For some time I have been buying parts here in the to rebuild the 1942 to "new" - all the parts except the barrel and stock should match the S/N build date. I'm getting closer and closer. I know it is not the most economical approach or even a good financial investment, but it will in a certain way be my "original" 1942 Garand.
!
View Quote
Have you found a Type 1 lock bar rear sight yet? Those are kinda hard to come across and when you do very pricey. Last one I saw went for over $600
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:23:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WSAR15] [#18]
Correction it's a Sept 1941 Receiver (I also have a June 1944). The '41 has a flush nut (short pinion, checkered knobs). I have not been able to find NOS or used complete rear sights for either.
I may need to buy a new one (repros and semi-repros available) to complete the build and keep on looking.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:39:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M1G] [#19]
You will never find correct NOS rear sights for either rifle. The 1941 rifle uses a Flush Nut sight, slightly easier to find but almost as expensive. Going to be in the $550 range
This is a flush nut

The stock would also hurt your pocket, one in decent condition with light SA/GHS is going to run around $375 . One in very good condition with strong cartouche $550 plus

You are picking a rifle that would be very expensive to correct. Try a late WWII, it wont hurt so bad:)
If you need any help or advice on your builds feel free to PM me
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Then, I will need look if I can find them in Europe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Then, I will need look if I can find them in Europe.
View Quote
Be careful if buying from overseas vendor. Its illegal to buy USGI parts from another country unless you have a Importer on this end. They may and can get confiscated in customs and you can get yourself into some trouble. Yes E-Bay sellers do it all the time but......... its the law
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for input, then I'm stuck and will keep on searching here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WSAR15] [#23]
M1G: what are the better sources for new M1 Garand parts to complete my project? Also, do you have a recommendation for a gunsmith to assemble my project? PS - your mailbox is full.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
M1G: what are the better sources for new M1 Garand parts to complete my project? Also, do you have a recommendation for a gunsmith to assemble my project? PS - your mailbox is full.
View Quote
Mailbox is now cleared,IM sent
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#25]
i just got my first Garand from CMP north . very cool . The north store is 6 hrs round trip from my house but
I went 2 weeks in a row to get the best selection . Glad I did .
 just    Garands n air rifles available so I got one of each .
Been waiting a long time .

A bucket list thing for me  I think .
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#26]
So as an ffl, what is the best route for me to get these? I don't have a cmp local so I'm just curious what my options are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:
So as an ffl, what is the best route for me to get these? I don't have a cmp local so I'm just curious what my options are.
View Quote
Mail order service grade...…………………..
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By M1G:

Mail order service grade...…………………..
View Quote
It also says you have to be a member of a club. I don't have one within 50 miles of me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Garand Collectors Association $25, Garand Collectors Club $15,etc, etc
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By M1G:
Garand Collectors Association $25, Garand Collectors Club $15,etc, etc
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#31]
I went to CMP site and are there other sellers that might have what I am looking for?

M1 Garand in .308?

If I have to purchase a new barrel that is fine but would love to have a matching serial number to that caliper.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:12:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M1G] [#32]
Not sure what you mean? What exactly are you looking for? PM me
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:37:16 AM EDT
[#33]
A lot of good info in this thread, figure it wont hurt to ask some questions:

1: Can you simply email the CMP all of your eligibility requirements, like CCW permit, birth cert, drivers license, etc?
-Understand they require you MAIL in forms 1A, 2A, 3A (originals with "wet ink" signatures).

2: How long does it normally take for the GCA to mail out membership info?

3: Is this a 'bad time' to be ordering things with the CMP?
-reading a few stories about how backed up they are with orders, being shut down cuz 'rona, etc...

I'm just super excited to be finally getting around to owning one of these MUST HAVE rifles that's been on my list for a LONG TIME.

Just never got around to getting one, kept getting into other things, but now's the time. Life's short, politicians don't make it easier, and I want to get one now while they still seem to be available for a fair rate.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone know what the turn around time is on garlands right now?

I sent my packet in late October. Since then I have learned the envelopes I used don't stay closed very well after a day or 2. Im worried the packet didn't even make it and getting in touch with anyone at the CMP is near impossible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By zutmeloda2003:

I sent my packet in late October. Since then I have learned the envelopes I used don't stay closed very well after a day or 2. Im worried the packet didn't even make it and getting in touch with anyone at the CMP is near impossible.
View Quote

E-mail customer service. They will get back with you
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Im mailing out my paperwork tomorrow.

My drivers license is one of the new ones with a star. Plus its a veteran one. That should cover the need for a birth certificate and dd-214 right?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:43:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cornhskr] [#37]
Originally Posted By zutmeloda2003:

View Quote

Sent my packet 11/2/20.  Haven't heard a word yet, but seems that they are starting to process orders around that time period.  The CMP must have gotten swamped with orders from August through November.  Patiently waiting.  Three months or more seems to be the wait right now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Omni] [#38]
I sent my packet in on 12/12/2020 and am hoping to have mine by this summer....

Update: I received an email yesterday (2/23/21) saying that my packet was received on 12/16/20. It seems that they are so backed up that it is taking them around 9 weeks to process their received mail.

Update #2: I received my shipping notification today (3/5/21), delivery is scheduled for Monday!
Ammo is still an open order since they are completely sold out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I've bought a few CMP sold ones from owners that either passed away or just got too old to shoot them anymore.

I see a few at large gun shows or collectors' shows.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
RM1SERVICE grade just went sold out today.  Looks like only Field grade SA and HRA available.  

Link
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I sent my packet in November 2020 for a Garand and haven't heard anything yet.  

Ordered some match .223 ammo from E Store at the end of Jan 2021 and no word on ammo either.

Hopefully they don't run out of either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By moreammoplz:
I sent my packet in November 2020 for a Garand and haven't heard anything yet.  

Ordered some match .223 ammo from E Store at the end of Jan 2021 and no word on ammo either.

Hopefully they don't run out of either.
View Quote

@moreammoplz what rifle grade did you order?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#43]
$650 Special Grade with new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By moreammoplz:
$650 Special Grade with new barrel.
View Quote

The specials have been sold out for a couple months now IIRC, but your order should have be in well before that.  Might be worth an email to confirm the order was received if you didn’t get a receipt of delivery returned.  Seems most of us are receiving the post confirmation until the DBU email.  I didn’t receive a confirmation on my order until it hit the eStore.  I’m sure at some point they will start the specials and SG back up again but it may be many months from now as they dig their way out from under the mountain of orders.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#45]
My father in law just called and said he placed an order for two. One for him and one for me.

Now I got to figure out where the best place to get ammo for this thing is.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#46]
My father in law just called and said he placed an order for two. One for him and one for me.

Now I got to figure out where the best place to get ammo for this thing is.  Any ideas?
View Quote

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001778663?pid=499254&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=ammo-seek&utm_campaign=499254
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#47]
So the myth of new commercial ammo a myth or no?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Just received an order of a few rifles.

One in particular stood out june 45 receiver, has original stock with correct NFR mark. And original 6-45 barrel with a muzzle reading of 0+ and throat of 1+.

Seems like a really good original barrel. Is that worth a significant amount to collectors?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Checked off a bucket list item by going to the CMP South Store yesterday. The staff were very personable and I bought an expert grade HRA with the receiver dated '56. I waffled on also getting a .308 but since I already have an M1a Loaded, passed.

If you haven't gone, do it. The 10% sales tax was outweighed by hand picking the rifle that spoke to me. I scored a case of Lake City ball as well. My face hurts from grinnin'.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#50]
So the myth of new commercial ammo a myth or no?
View Quote
I am no expert, and certainly don't want to start an argument.

The bullet in the ammo linked above is a little heavier than typical USGI bullet.  The muzzle velocity is a little higher than typical GI MV.  Neither are "out of bounds" by themselves but taken together might be pushing things.  The gas pressure at the gas port in the barrel is the critical point.  Too high a pressure at this point can damage the Op-Rod.  It would take specialized tools/instruments to accurately measure the gas pressure at this point; most all of us lack such, so the fallback position is a combination of correct bullet weight and correct muzzle velocity.

Being cautious (perhaps over-cautious), I suggest sticking with ammo that the MFR specifically states is safe for use in M1s.

It's your rifle, and I admit to being very cautious.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top