Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Have any of you guys bought anything from 44mag supposedly CMI made usgi 20 rnd mags no min. order 23.99 ea I ordered 3 just to see.  USA mags suck just bought a socom II and my dealer threw in a USA 20rnder went through 4 and all were 100% FTF only one reliable was factory shipped 10 rnder made by CMI.  1st M1a I have ever owned and so far other than finding good mags with out getting raped has sucked but gotta love the socom
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I bought five twenty round CMI magazines from 44mag.com in February 2007.  I've tested them and they work great.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 1:28:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Obsolete
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
anyone know about triple k brand mags. a store in my town has them for 25 each. Want to know if they are worht getting. thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
anyone know about triple k brand mags. a store in my town has them for 25 each. Want to know if they are worht getting. thanks

Dunno, but I'd be leary of buying anything from a manufacturer that calls themselves "KKK"
Link Posted: 7/26/2007 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Pass on that opportunity.  The aftermarket magazines from the early 1990s had unreliable springs and followers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Be advised, a full photo report across the street shows there is a new fake "GI" magazine out in the gun shows.

This new fake has phosphate coating and is marked either BRW S-I marking (no serif on the "1") or OM on the rear side of the body.  Some are marked one way, some the other.  The easy greasy way to identify this new counterfeit is that they have 11 + 3 weld dimples on the front side instead of the 12 + 1 required per the USGI drawing.  Also, the spring has nine coils instead of eight coils (USGI) and two weld dimples on the follower instead of three dimples (USGI).

If the member across the street grants permission, I will update the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide to include this new variation of fake "GI" magazine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Obsolete
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Obsolete
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
My $0.02, when the CMI twenty-five round magazines become available through 44Mag.com, don't get hoodwinked.  There is another manufacturer of twenty-five round magazines, National Magazines.  The National Magazines brand units are sold by MWG Company.  Midway USA also carries the same brand but not the twenty-five rounders AFAIK.

Point being, the National Magazines twenty-five rounders can be identified by the 8 + 3 dimples on the front side, six dimples on the latch plate and two dimples on the follower.

Link Posted: 10/23/2007 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought 4 allegedly new USGI mags from a reputable dealer, at a premium.  This person should know more about M14 mags than I ever will, so I don't want to cast false aspersions.  However, I don't think I got what I paid for.  Here's the email I sent the dealer, followed by his reply.  Am I all wet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Relevant portion of my email to dealer:

While I'm no authority on these things, I recognized some things that seem wrong for genuine USGI mags, based mostly on the "Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide" found at www.imageseek.com/m1a.  For starts, the weld pattern is all wrong on both the bodies and the followers.  Furthermore, the springs have 9 coils, instead of GI-spec 8 coils.  As a result, the mags barely hold 20 rounds, with the 20th being so tight that my rifle can't even strip it off the top of the mag.  The followers only have two (sloppy) welds as well.  These issues pretty much line up with the Pictorial Guide's description of faked Westinghouse mags.

And as if to confirm my findings, the magazine rebuild kits you sent have springs with the correct number of coils (8) and the correct number of welds on the followers (3).  So, it turns out that the innards of your new USGI mil-spec mags don't even match the USGI rebuild kits you sell.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relevant portion of dealer's response:

We have new "W" Winchester USGI preban mags (they are marked with a "W"). If these do not meet your needs, for any reason, feel free to return for refund. I am not familiar with "imitation GI mags", though I am well aware of the many imported Chinese and other Asian mags, which we do not sell. We use (for test firing) and have sold many of the Winchester mags and they work and fit perfectly. They were purchased from a reliable supplier and specifically certify that they are preban as certain states require pre-94 mags. Don't know what more I can do/offer re your points.

The rebuild kits are current manufacture, by a current GI contractor. Again, if they do not meet your needs, we'll be happy to refund.

Have you tried the mags?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you guys think?  I did load up two mags.  One would only hold 19 rounds, and the other one held 20, but the top round was too tight to be stripped off by my rifle (and I did put it in the rifle and attempt to drop the bolt).  I suspect this is mostly related to the 9-coil spring.

I suspect the mags might work if I replace the innards with genuine rebuild kits sold by the same dealer, but that makes expensive magazines even more expensive.

I was take aback by the claim that these mags are made by Winchester, as Winchester isn't even mentioned in the Pictorial Guide.

Did Winchester make USGI mags, marked with a "W", and with an irregularly spaced and not-even-linear series of smaller-than-normal  11+3 welds up the front spine, no two mags of which are exactly alike?

I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be "No, of course not" based on what I've read, but then that really shakes my confidence in this dealer.  And while I'm happy he's offered a refund, that doesn't really help me get functioning M14 magazines.

Or is he right, and there's a huge gaping hole in the knowlege contained in the 196-page Pictorial Guide?

--Gene

Link Posted: 10/23/2007 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]
44MAG .....Get the best , buy 5 / free shipping.  I've bought 15 from 44MAG and these mags are the best. Brand new , perfect block location and perfect welds and the proper number of welds. Good looking park job on them too. I tried buying junk before and it's a waste of time and money. JMHO.......
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:I was take aback by the claim that these mags are made by Winchester, as Winchester isn't even mentioned in the Pictorial Guide.

Did Winchester make USGI mags, marked with a "W", and with an irregularly spaced and not-even-linear series of smaller-than-normal  11+3 welds up the front spine, no two mags of which are exactly alike?

Winchester is identified on page 6 of the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide Revision 1.0 as Olin Mathieson.  Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation was the parent corporate name for Winchester in the early 1960s.  Legitimate USGI 1960s production M14 magazines marked W were made by Westinghouse Electric.  Bill Ricca and I were able to confirm this.

The answer to your question is NO.  Winchester made magazines marked OM.  OM means Olin Mathieson.  USGI magazines do not have three weld dimples adjacent to the catch slot.  You were sold fake "GI" magazines.  The research, dozens of M14 fans and the USGI magazine parts drawings back up the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide.

Link Posted: 10/26/2007 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]

The answer to your question is NO.  Winchester made magazines marked OM.   OM means Olin Mathieson.

Thanks, Different.  That was my impression of things as well.  I knew of the connection between Winchester and Olin, and figured that any "Winchester" mags would have been marked OM, but didn't go into that level of detail in my message.

I expect to "take my chances" at gun shows, but am disappointed to see this going on with otherwise reputable dealers with a national presence.  I tried giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt with my initial email to him, but when he came back implying I was out in left field with my concerns, I felt obiigated to check back in with you folks.

I've sent the mags back for a refund and ordered replacement CMI magazeines from 44Mag, based on your recommendation above.  Thanks for providing a great service to those of us new to the M1A.

--Gene
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#16]
If I can find the time, I want to make the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide available in print from an "on-demand" printer at no profit to me.  It will be color photos and likely spiral bound for ease of use.

I think I've got a source that can do the printing and binding and possibly the mailing.  The mail out of orders consumes a lot of time that I need to pass on to someone else.  If that source can work for the Mag ID Guide then they can do the same for the Third Edition of M14 Rifle History and Development.  I hope to have M14 R H A D done by late 2008 or early 2009.
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Different:

If that comes to fruition, please let me know. I would like a copy of that book in print.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI.....reading material......

M14 mags ID

Aloha, Mark

PS.........more good reading about M14 mags.......

M14 mags ID P2
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Different,

After doing some reading...........your site, download........I took apart my collection of unwrapped magazines (23 magazines checked).  Mind you that I purchased them prior to the Clinton first reign of terror.   I didn't have a habit of taking them apart before.......but, I did this time, to look for the "special items" that were mentioned.

OK........everything checked out...........except:

1)   one BRW S-l, it's blued/black steel.....the logo is correct like my others, catch latch is correct and the weld in the tube is like the pic, the follower is marked correctly, 8 coils to the spring, and the typical 12 spot welds +1 (by the locking hole),  

My conclusion, maybe the guy who had it before me wanted a blued magazine?  Or, maybe it's a re-finish job, to get more life out of an old war horse?   I did note, some spots of old rust on the mag body.

2)   one (unmaked), it's parked steel though it looks like there's a slight green hue to it (like an old Garand receiver).....there are 6 dimples on the lockng latch and two locating holes in the tube where the locking latch attaches, 6 spot welds (3 evenly spaced, skip, then 3 evenly spaced, like 7 welds could/should have been there, if not for the "missing spot weld") and the +1 spot weld (by the locking hole) on the front, eight coils to the spring, and the follower was an OM.

This is the one that has me stumped.  I wouldn't think it's a "FAKE".........as I bought my supply, when there were plenty of USGI M14 mags, easlily found on the market.   And, I never purposely went looking for anything, M14 or M1, that wasn't USGI.  

About the "missing logo"..........yes, I tried looking w/ a magnifier and oil.  Could there be, "mistakes?"  Another site mentioned, "unmarked GI magazines." Even the US mint makes mistakes.  

As for the number of spot welds (if 7 were intended).  Could it be the result of a machine 7 spot welder on the "fritz?"  I would imagine, that the magazine manufacturer would want to be using some sort of machine.  Or, was it the result of a human error?   Imagine, a man with a spot welder gun, doing it one spot weld at a time by hand.  Or, maybe, it was a three spot weld gun being used?  Pull trigger, 3 spot welds, move gun, pull trigger again, 3 more spot welds.  Then the last, +1 spot weld to the right of the latch hole.

Maybe, it's an unmarked KMT?  6 dimple locking latch w/two locating holes in the tube.  And, 6 spot welds +1 spot weld to the right of the locking hole, indicates the features of your known KMT (except for the gap).

But, what about the "OM follower?"   Maybe, it's a replacement for a "bad" follower?   Or, maybe the mfn was lacking supplies due to a break down or other mfn problem?   The expedient thing to do, may have been, to get some parts from another source.  It could happen?

I wonder IF.......back then.......the magazine mfns sold their "US Govt. rejects" and/or extra parts to the big buyers of gun parts?  Or maybe, other countries?  Sure, they did.

Maybe.....the mags came back to the USA......when the M14 was no longer a 1st line weapon in that foreign country?  I remember, getting several M14 parts kits........that were "returned parts," from Israel.  Could the 2 mags have come in a parts kit?

I guess a definition of FAKE is needed?

Because.....IMHO, even a USED- CMP M1 Garand may have many USGI mis-matched parts from different years and from various govt. mfns (and foreign govt. parts).....and I wouldn't call it a FAKE.

Yes, there is a difference between a USED and NEW item.  And, lying is lying.

So......you made me look. Here's me, after spending the night with a magnifying glass.

My other wrapped mags will stay that way (for the time being).  

And, some of the "paper wrappers" containing the "fake" mags (as on the web site)........have printing that looks like some of the ones I have.  Leading me to think that the culprit may have done some research.  But, I didn't compare the printed numbers in detail.   Then again..........the web site showed really clean wrappers (hint) for something that was supposedly put away 30+ years ago.

So....IF, the printing, packaging and intent to de-fraud, could be proven.......then, the maker/seller, might/could, be prosecuted for FRAUD.  But, the "intent" has to be proven.  So.....who's to BLAME?

The package maker might say, that he had no knowledge that his packages were going to be used for wrapping up "fake" magazines.  He only makes packages, with what the buyer wants, printed on it.

The magazine maker (assembler) might say, that he was merely assembling parts to make functioning magazines.  

Then, the guy who put the "fakes" into the packages, may not know anything about what he is doing.  Except to: Put product into package, seal, and repeat.  

Not to mention, that everyone "along this line" may not even speak or read ENGLISH.  

Then, the guy at the Gunshow Table or Gun Store?  He might say, he just bought for re-sale..........new in the wrap M14 magazines, which were said to be USGI by his supplier.    

Did his supplier even KNOW?

So then........it has to be .........the RICH GUY who funded the whole operation?    That's him behind the dark glasses.  

Buyer beware.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#20]
If a M14 magazine was not made by a USGI contractor but it's placed into packaging to make the average person think that it is USGI contract made, then it's "fake GI" in my opinion.  

It's not unusual for USGI magazines to not have manufacturer markings.  I talk about it in the canon aka M14 Rifle History and Development.

The USGI drawings for the M14 magazine require a phosphate coating.  If a magazine has a blued finish, it is not the original finish if it is a genuine USGI magazine.

To any M14 fans out there, if you want a FREE copy of the June 2007 version of the Online Edition of M14 Rifle History and Development with bookmarks, send me an e-mail to [email protected]  It's about 5.2 MB.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Diferent,

Well.....you won't get any argument out of me, on that.  

And.....THANK YOU.....the time spent downloading and reading was well worth it.   Even while......my wife was nagging me, about spending so much time on the computer. Here I am, after telling her to "Bug off, I'm busy."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
2)   one (unmaked), it's parked steel though it looks like there's a slight green hue to it (like an old Garand receiver).....there are 6 dimples on the lockng latch and two locating holes in the tube where the locking latch attaches, 6 spot welds (3 evenly spaced, skip, then 3 evenly spaced, like 7 welds could/should have been there, if not for the "missing spot weld") and the +1 spot weld (by the locking hole) on the front, eight coils to the spring, and the follower was an OM.

This is the one that has me stumped.  I wouldn't think it's a "FAKE".........as I bought my supply, when there were plenty of USGI M14 mags, easlily found on the market.   And, I never purposely went looking for anything, M14 or M1, that wasn't USGI.  

About the "missing logo"..........yes, I tried looking w/ a magnifier and oil.  Could there be, "mistakes?"  Another site mentioned, "unmarked GI magazines." Even the US mint makes mistakes.  

As for the number of spot welds (if 7 were intended).  Could it be the result of a machine 7 spot welder on the "fritz?"  I would imagine, that the magazine manufacturer would want to be using some sort of machine.  Or, was it the result of a human error?   Imagine, a man with a spot welder gun, doing it one spot weld at a time by hand.  Or, maybe, it was a three spot weld gun being used?  Pull trigger, 3 spot welds, move gun, pull trigger again, 3 more spot welds.  Then the last, +1 spot weld to the right of the latch hole.

Maybe, it's an unmarked KMT?  6 dimple locking latch w/two locating holes in the tube.  And, 6 spot welds +1 spot weld to the right of the locking hole, indicates the features of your known KMT (except for the gap).

But, what about the "OM follower?"   Maybe, it's a replacement for a "bad" follower?   Or, maybe the mfn was lacking supplies due to a break down or other mfn problem?   The expedient thing to do, may have been, to get some parts from another source.  It could happen?

Mark, you have a KMT seven weld version.  The followers were swapped out after they left the factory such as ocurred during arsenal rewraps.  Reference: Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide Revision 1.0 pages 43 - 45.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered one of these in December 2007 from Midway USA. My order was handled and shipped promptly. The Internet listing at MidwayUSA states:

Military Surplus Magazine Type 57 M1A 7.62x51mm (308 Winchester) 20-Round Steel Matte Blue

The ad states these are 1970s production military surplus unissued twenty round magazines. These particular magazines have been discussed at length on the various boards. These magazines are soaked in oil and wrapped with wax paper secured by a rubber band. The consensus from what I've read on the discussion boards is that they work for most buyers. I have received reports from a few buyers that have not had good success with them.

I have taken photographs of this magazine. The photos and some descriptive narrative will be added to a future version of the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide. I examined the one magazine and found this:

Magazine tube - six pointed star at the very bottom of the rear side, sheet thickness is 0.022 ", 11 + 1 dimples on the front side, blued finish, 0.918 " above the Y-Y line, latch plate has three vertical dimples, inserts fully charged with normal force into a 1987 Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A with the bolt closed

Magazine follower assembly - three dimples, stop is 0.75 " high, blued finish

Magazine base (floor plate) - 0.024 " thick, blued finish

Magazine spring - 0.049 " diameter wire, no noticeable nicks or die marks, eight coils, 10.625 " free length

These magazines do not meet some basic dimension requirements from the associated product drawings in the M14 Technical Data Package. Also, the finish is not phosphate coating as required by the TDP. Thus, these are not USGI contract M14 magazines. Likewise, they do not match known mainland Chinese magazines for finish or material thickness dimensions.

The latch plate pattern on the Midway USA marketed T57-20R does not match the latch plate pattern on known Taiwanese T57 magazines imported about 1990 into the United States. Additionally, this magazine does not match the appearance of photographs I have of a Wayne Machine, Inc. M14/T57 magazine.

]
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Examination of Harris twenty-five round magazines:

I received two Harris Manufacturing twenty-five round magazines from a fellow M14 fan across the street for testing and evaluation. I have not had a chance to test fire them yet. I have taken photographs. The photos and some descriptive narrative will be added to a future version of the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide.

Magazine tube - No markings, sheet thickness is 0.022 ", 8 + 3 dimples on the front side, phosphate coating, 0.882 " above the Y-Y line, tube length is 0.125 " longer than the CMI twenty-five round tube, latch plate has six dimples and no horizontal line, two alignment holes in the tube behind the latch plate, inserts fully charged with normal force into a 1987 SA, Inc. M1A with the bolt closed

Magazine follower assembly - two dimples, stop is 0.875 " high, phosphate coating

Magazine base (floor plate) - 0.024 " thick, phosphate coating

Magazine spring - 0.055 " diameter wire, no noticable nicks or die marks, eight coils, 12.75 " free length
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I am new to M1A’s. Mags are expensive.

What about Winchester mags?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 2:27:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am new to M1A’s. Mags are expensive.

What about Winchester mags?

Be sure you are buying genuine Winchester magazines.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know if the M14 mags Armalite is selling marked HR-R are the real thing?
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#28]
The scammers are also using fake cardboard sleeve packaging. The dealers are getting from the distributor (scammer?) fake cardboard sleeve two packs with fake "GI" magazines inside. They are being shipped to the dealers in boxes. These fake "GI" magazines are marked BRW SI and OM. The contract number on the fake packaging ends in 0402. I'll be adding a picture of this fake cardboard sleeve two pack and associated magazines to the Pictorial M14 Magazine Idenfication Guide.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Obsolete
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The scammers are also using fake cardboard sleeve packaging. The dealers are getting from the distributor (scammer?) fake cardboard sleeve two packs with fake "GI" magazines inside. They are being shipped to the dealers in boxes. These fake "GI" magazines are marked BRW SI and OM. The contract number on the fake packaging ends in 0402. I'll be adding a picture of this fake cardboard sleeve two pack and associated magazines to the Pictorial M14 Magazine Idenfication Guide.

Today, I received two magazines from the original retail buyer.  He purchased these magazines in April 2007.  He provided a copy of the sales invoice.  He was charged $29.95 per magazine plus shipping.  He bought four.  The invoice item is listed as

M14/M1A 20Rd USGI Gun Magazine

These magazines came from the fake GI packaging described in my quote above.  This is according to the dealer who sent the original retail buyer a photo of the fake cardboard sleeve packaging.

Here is my e-mail back to him:

Sent: Fri 5/30/08 6:49 PM
To:  [email protected]

Hi, Xxxxxx

I received the two magazines today.  They are fakes for sure: nine coils on the springs, spring material varies, won't hold twenty rounds, two welds on the follower, markings aren't right, latch plate dimple patterns are wrong, and the front side weld dimple patterns are wrong.  There's no need to break out the dial calipers.  

They are trying to increase the spring force but they are not getting it right.  There's at least two mistakes/errors on the cardboard sleeve packaging as well.  

I'll try to get these in the mail to you tomorrow.  Thanks for the look see.  I'm sorry you got taken.

Lee

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay, we're just about ready to roll on the next version of the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide.  By gentleman's agreement, this is a collaborative non-profit educational resource for the M14/M1A fan.  

I finished Version 1.1 this afternoon and posted it to an online printer/publisher web site. I ordered a proof copy to make sure that the color photos come out okay.  When the proof copy comes in, I'll look at it. If it looks good, I'll release Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide Version 1.1 for sale. This is being offered at cost. There's no profit to me. The printer/publisher is making their profit on the print run so don't feel bad for them. LOL

The print version will be soft cover, coil bound, 236 pages, 8.5 " x 11 ", and hundreds of color photos.  

The downloadable version is a 70 MB .pdf file so it's a NO GO if on dial up. You need Acrobat Reader 5.0 or newer to open the file.

Thanks to your contributions, this reference just keeps getting better and better.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Obsolete
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#33]
As some of us know , from reading other sites you da man. Thank you for your tireless effort  of sorting out what is real and what is crap.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Different, excellent ID guide. Learned some good stuff about the magazines.
I downloaded it to compare some previously unidentified magazines purchased from Widener's. The nice lady I asked about them said there had been no complaints and that I could return them if there were problems.

Turns out they are the fake T57 magazines with a few slight differences. Wrapping, grease, appearance is identical. Dark bluing. No body markings except a horizontal 5 above the catch plate. Incomplete stamping on 2 others. Catch plate has 3 welds. Body thickness .032. 12 welds on the spine, the 11 + 1.
Follower identical, 3 welds. 8 coil LH springs, no tooling marks on springs, hang straight, .059 diameter. Springs are uniform but barely short at 10 7/8 measured free.
Floor plate drain hole .185, .030 thickness. The floor plate can be flexed, but I don't about the "file hard" spec. It did spring back.

Now to find out if they work.
11/20/08 update. Tested 5 of the fake T57s mentioned, no problems.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't see where I can download the free PDF of the magazine ID info. Am I missing something
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I had to scratch around a little to figure it out after going to the web site.
Here's what you do.
Go to Different's M1A web site at imageseek shown at the top of this page.
Just under the picture you'll see Pictorial M14 Identification Guide - V 1.1 (click)
You're now at the online archive, scroll down until you see the same guide listed again with order online under it, and click again. 6th one down.
Now scroll down near the bottom of the new page where you can purchase the book. Just under that is a download for free option.

He must have put a tremendous amount of work into that, an epic work on magazines.
AllDifferent
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Obsolete
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#38]
This is a helluva resource, thanks for all the hard work
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Obsolete
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I just came back from the Las Vegas fun show.  The fake "GI" magazines were being peddled and at $29.95 each.  

If the packaging has a "contract" number ending in "OMINC-AB", pass on it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#41]
excellent guide.
I bought two M14 mags at the SAR show in Phoenix recently.
after reading your guide turns out one is a real BRW-S1 USGI mag (used condition, paid $35 for it) and the other "BRW S-1" mag I bought is a fake (new condition, paid $40 for it).
the seller I got the real one from had about 6 more mags at his table, wish I would have bought more
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#42]
There are still deals out there on mags or at least there were before Nov. 4th. This past summer at a local gunshow an older gentleman with his wife had a selection of magazines and accessories on one table including an ammo box with 13 M14 magazines priced at $15 each.  I wasn't real familiar with the difference between a fake and the real deal but I pulled out several to examine and they had a variety of makers stamps and all looked to be in excellent condition with the proper color parkerizing. Finally I asked him what he would take for the whole bunch including the box and he said $13 each for a total of $169. Paid the man and took them home. Breakdown by makers mark was as follows...
OM (4), BRW-Sl (3), HR-R (2), W (2), UHC (1), KMT (1).  
I then checked them against Different's Magazine Guide and they were the real thing.

I was told by a friend at the show that before I bought the mags someome was looking them over with a magnifying glass. I don't know if they were afraid they were fake or were trying to get a better deal on them by walking away and coming back later.  While I was walking around the show with them someone came up and asked how much I paid for them. He said that the followers had not looked right  (he must have been the guy with the magnifying glass). He did not look like a happy camper and I think it was a case of sour grapes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Hi Gents, and thanks all around for the useful info - I was able to spot LOTS of fakes at the gun show this weekend (and didn't buy any of 'em)

I did buy a 20-round mag from Brownell's a bit ago, however, and I didn't find anything close in the guide.  Brownell's sez it's made by CJ Weapons Accessories and it's part # 100-002-425 on their web site.  I finally got to the range this morning, and it worked 100% with my SOCOM-16.  This is a phosphated mag, but not claimed to be "USGI".

I did have an initial problem (before I went to the range) with it, however - it went in fine, then I couldn't get it out!  After applying the right cuss words and elbow grease, I got it out, then noted that the latch plate had rough, protruding edges, probably where it was punched out - so I filed it smooth and hit it with the wire wheel - it now comes out just fine.  I also noted that the curve above the catch hole was done with a grinder, and left a nasty burr on the inside, so I smoothed it with the file & wheel as well.

It has nine welds on the front - two at the bottom, three along the tube and four (!) at the top by the catch hole.  The latch plate has 6 dimples and one centered visible spot-weld. The follower has two welds, and has no provision to catch the spring.  The spring has 9 coils, and I was able to get 20 rounds into it, no problem.  Putting it back together required some fiddling to get the spring to set properly into the follower - after that it was OK.. There are no marks or stamps on the mag that I can see.

I didn't take any pictures, but could if anyone is interested.

I could use a few more 20-round mags - does anyone know if the "USGI" ones Widener's is currently selling work OK?

Thanks,  Hartley
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I could use a few more 20-round mags - does anyone know if the "USGI" ones Widener's is currently selling work OK?

Thanks, Hartley

They work fine. I've tried all mine now. Look for my post 5 or 6 above yours. Get some spare springs, note that they measured short on the free spring length.
I thought they were out though, I didn't see anymore on the web site. I bought several and they had 8-900 left, not there now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks, RatShooter,

I should have read a bit more carefully.  I ordered a couple before they disappeared - I guess I'll find out at some point if they really had any or not..
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm new to the forum and the M1A (but have been shooting for almost 40 years), and I've been researching various magazine options for the M1A.

Has anyone tried the "New T57" (Tiawanese) mags from KeepShooting.com?  They're supposedly in stock and only $20/ea. - being "brand new" I would hope they don't come pre-rusted, but that doesn't mean they won't eventually.

Even more doubtful seem the "Genuine Mil.-spec M14/M1A mags" from SportsmansGuide.com - they're only $15/ea. or 3 for $40!?  (They're supposed to be in stock as well, but in "limited quantities")

I know it sounds too good to be true, so they probably are, but I was just wondering if anyone had actually tried them yet.

Try not to beat up on the newcomer too much.  

Thanx!
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Am i crazy or is it next to impossible to find pre-ban (pre-94) M1A/M14 USGI 20 round magazines?

Anyone have a reliable source for these?
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Fulton Armory lists pre-'94 ban USGI M14 magazines.  www.fulton-armory.com
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I was recently given a 20 round mag stamped BRW S-l (upside down).  I followed the flow chart and came to the conclusion that it is a BW USGI magazine.  My only question is the follower is not stamped BW like I have read that it should be.  Other than that it has all of the other characteristics it should have.  It is blued not phosphate finished.  Does anybody have any idea why the mag follower is not stamped?
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Not all magazine followers were stamped with a manufacturer marking.  Per the government drawing B7267085, the manufacturer marking on the follower stop was optional.  USGI magazines are required to have a phosphate coating per the drawing.  If it's blued, it's not the original finish.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top