Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/4/2006 5:10:48 PM EDT
Here's an attempt to summarize what's going on today with M14 magazines, as far as I can tell anyway. Treat each of these categories unto itself as a separate issue to keep it easy.  This discussion is strictly regarding twenty round M14 type magazines.

A) Magazine wrapping that has been doctored or altered. The fake wrapping can still be identified but it's improving. IMO, stay on top of this issue because it's going to increase. There's some reproduction M14E2 slings out there with fake "GI" labeling already.

B) Commercial aftermarket magazines that have fake markings (Atwood, OM, BRW S-l and W). These rarely work and often will not hold twenty rounds. These are often sold by a gentleman out in California. Sometimes these are sold in fake "GI" wrapping and sometimes not.

C) Check-Mate Industries magazines with BRW S-1 markings (not factory original). These have been sold by Brownell's and Elite K9. There are some differences between CMI and real deal BRW S-l magazines. Look for the horizontal line on the latch plate. If it's there, it's CMI. There are some other differences but I don't want to discuss it openly on the Internet.

D) Blued / matte finish magazines with unusual symbols or alphanumeric characters (small circle, H, A, a number inside a large circle, incomplete "C"). These have been available through Midway USA. I'm doing further research into this subtopic.

E) Mainland Chinese magazines. They work great. CDNN recently advertised these for sale but I've not seen any firsthand.

F) Taiwanese T57 magazines. Reviews are mixed. Sometimes they work great, sometimes not. They often have rust and need some clean up. Ammoman and others have sold these in the last couple years.

G) Check-Mate Industries magazines. I'm up to speed on these now. CMI has been consistent since 1990 on how they manufacture their magazines. CMI magazines have some features which make them easy to differentiate from the 1960s and 1970s production USGI magazines. There are other clues but one is the horizontal line on the latch plate. Look for that if you want to know if it's CMI made. These have been sold, unmarked, through Springfield Armory, Inc. from the early 1990s onward. Because of the M9 magazines, some folks don't trust the CMI M14 magazines. IMHO, CMI magazines are the sleeper deal right now for M14 magazines. I give the buy signal on CMI magazines.

H) ProMag Industries magazines. The May 2005 review by Spartacus2002 was very good. He reported malfunctions and a blued finish that quickly wears off. The ProMag unit is difficult to insert into the rifle with twenty rounds while the bolt is closed.

I) Real deal USGI contract 1960s and 1970s production magazines. These were readily available until the last year or two from many suppliers. AFAIK, Cole Distributing and R A Parts are the only vendors still with these in inventory.

Guard your wallet.

Link Posted: 7/4/2006 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent post Different. It could only be made better with pictures ...
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There are also the Pro-Mag magazines; my range report here.  EXECSUM:  it was an OK mag, but maybe only 85% as good as USGI...
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I got some old mags will look at them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
spartacus2002, thanks for the review on ProMag Industries.  I summarized your review and added it to my initial post in this thread.  If it's not written well, let me know and I can adjust it to reflect your thoughts on ProMag Industries M14 magazines.
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Different - Could you elaborate on the BRW S1 mags from Elite K9? I remember something awhile back on questions about these. I've bought complete mags and parts from them in the past and later went  to the store in Paducah. They were out at that time but the owner said they were getting some more from "the guy we get them from." Are their BRW S1 mags genuine??? Thanks, peasant.
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
peasant, the Elite K9 magazines marked BRW S-1 (numeral one with a serif) work great.  If you're looking for solid, reliable magazines that work fine and last a long time, buy them.

If you're a collector looking for 1960s Borg-Warner contract M14 magazines, this is not what you want.  This is not the "long lost stash we just found hidden in a warehouse." Why?  Because the magazines being sold now in 2006 by Elite K9 (and Brownell's) are Check-Mate Industries magazines (which work great) but have the "aftermarket" BRW S-1 stamping put on them.  The magazines sold presently by Elite K9 and Brownell's are without a doubt Check-Mate Industries production.

Until I know otherwise, I'll give Elite K9 and Brownell's the benefit of the doubt and believe they are buying them in that condition (with the "aftermarket" marking already in place).

Link Posted: 7/5/2006 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Different - You the man!
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Different, you are the MAN concerning M14s, thanks for the info.  

Now for my real question (begging)  Can you arrange a Group Buy for CMI M14 mags for AR15.com like you did on the M1A/M14 forum?  I missed out and still regret it.  I think with the numbers here on AR15.com you could generate enough to get the long deal from CMI.   Thanks again.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I would be up for that as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Different, you are the MAN concerning M14s, thanks for the info.  

Now for my real question (begging)  Can you arrange a Group Buy for CMI M14 mags for AR15.com like you did on the M1A/M14 forum?  I missed out and still regret it.  I think with the numbers here on AR15.com you could generate enough to get the long deal from CMI.   Thanks again.  

Sir, you are very kind.  I agree.  The response on the next CMI magazine group buy will be stupefying.  The board mentioned above is ramping up for a ten rounder CMI magazine group buy.  FYI if you're interested.

First, any two or three of you can get together and order as little as twenty-five magazines from CMI.  Of course, the price won't be as good as the break at 500.  IIRC, it's $25'ish per unit up to 50 magazines but at 500 the unit cost is $20.00.  Major cool.

Honestly, the next group buy will be a lot of work for whoever does it.  I'm taking a break right now from boxing up books to the buyers and I've got magazine and M1A receiver research barking at me.  Plus, I'm wanting to do a major revision on the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide.  Amongst all that, M14 Rifle History and Development continues to blossom like a tropical jungle.  Then there's that day job. . . . Honestly, I'm kind of busy right now.

After the ten rounder magazine group buy goes through across the street, there's "informal buzz" that a twenty rounder group buy is in the air this fall.  If anyone wants to jump in here and now, go for it.  I'm just not able to find time for it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the heads up.  Is there a reason for the 10rounder group buy over 20rds?
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, there's a lot of M14 type rifle owners in California.
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes, there's a lot of M14 type rifle owners in California.

gotcha
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
When i was at a vegas gun show yesterday i came across a vendor that had 4 dirrent types of m14 mags. 1 type was from cole and was dated 1970 in a white cloth type bag. he said those WERE USGI and that the troops now were using "this" as he handed my a mag bagged in blue plastic. one was opened and had "LEO / Military Use" roll marked on the thin side. There was another type that was sealed in a brown bubble wrap and also looked to be factory packaging. What should i be looking for as far as best quality for fitment on a new m1a?

Wish i remembered the name of the blue bag one, as it was the most expensive of the four types offered.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:19:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Check-Mate Industries makes the ones in the blue bags.  CMI does not put the LEO marking on the ones they make for the commercial market.  So, the one he had was sold to some government agency somewhere.  Reference: Joe DeBello, Project Manager, Check-Mate Industries.

Cole Distributing sells 1960s production USGI magazines.  The problem is that some of the fake "GI" magazines are wrapped in surplus USGI paper.  Unless you know what to look for to detect the fakes, I would not buy magazines at a gun show anymore.

I recommend the following for Check-Mate Industries magazines: Impact Guns, Springfield Armory, Inc., Armalite (best price for small quantity) and Check-Mate Industries (minimum order of twenty-five).

You can get used USGI magazines from R A Parts and LRB Arms.  Those are the companies I trust for M14 magazines.  There are a lot of fakes out there, some easily detected but some are not so easy to spot.  Guard your wallet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Check-Mate Industries makes the ones in the blue bags.  CMI does not put the LEO marking on the ones they make for the commercial market.  So, the one he had was sold to some government agency somewhere.  Reference: Joe DeBello, Project Manager, Check-Mate Industries.

Cole Distributing sells 1960s production USGI magazines.  The problem is that some of the fake "GI" magazines are wrapped in surplus USGI paper.  Unless you know what to look for to detect the fakes, I would not buy magazines at a gun show anymore.

I recommend the following for Check-Mate Industries magazines: Impact Guns, Springfield Armory, Inc., Armalite (best price for small quantity) and Check-Mate Industries (minimum order of twenty-five).

You can get used USGI magazines from R A Parts and LRB Arms.  Those are the companies I trust for M14 magazines.  There are a lot of fakes out there, some easily detected but some are not so easy to spot.  Guard your wallet.

i got 2 fakes in my order of 11 from RA parts.  They made it right as fast as they possibly could, and I would still strongly reccomend them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

i got 2 fakes in my order of 11 from RA parts.  They made it right as fast as they possibly could, and I would still strongly reccomend them.

can I ask how much the mags were? I need to order some.

thx
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

can I ask how much the mags were? I need to order some.

thx

$25/ea for the used ones.  i think he has NIW ones for $35
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I have some T-57s via Ammoman that I bought to use as "range" mags. Among the five I
bought, they all had minor cosmetic rust in the seams or folds of the sheetmetal around the front of the mags. Clean up well with a drop of oil and a rag or old toothbrush.

I've only tried three out of the five I bought. They all hold 20 rds ; all fed 100% but one of the three hangs up on the mag catch and when you remove it from the rifle, there is some
resistance then, the mag comes out and the bolt slams home on an empty chamber.

I marked the floorplate on that one to remind me to hold back on the op rod handle when using that mag. The other two I've tried don't do that and I still have another two in the wrap.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#22]
FYI, Brownells and Elite K9 no longer sell the twenty round M14 magazines with the serif font numeral one BRW S-1 marking.

There are some CMI with the serif font BRW S-1 magazines out there wrapped in brown paper with a self-adhesive white label dated February 1963.  I received one of these yesterday from a M14 fan in Florida to examine.  It will go back to him shortly after I've had my printer look at the label.  I'm learning how to spot the fake labeling. CMI (Check-Mate Industries) was not making M14 magazines in the 1960s.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#23]
National Magazine is making M14 mags.  Different:  we need your evaluation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I took the February 1963 label to the printer for evaluation this week.  Bottom line, the label was printed with equipment available in 1963.  Problems - The wrapper and label looked mint for forty-three years old.  I should like that good.  Also, there was no paper manufacturer markings and no residue of vapor barrier chemical on the inside of the wrapper.

The owner of the packaging sent the magazine that was inside when his son bought it.  The magazine is a CMI magazine with the faked serif font BRW S-1 marking.

FYI, the Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide Revision 0.7 is being put together.  It will blow away the current Revision 0.6.  Rough estimate, it will be over 300 color photos.  If my webmaster is able to post it on my web site, it will be available there when it is finished.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My M14 magazine guru, elvis_is_dead, DOES NOT give the buy signal on National Ordnance magazines.  I recommend the CMI magazines.  Be advised they don't have the satin sheet feel of the 1960s USGI magazines but they work every time.

In the last couple months, I disassembled, inspected, cleaned and reassembled every M14 magazine I have, even the five rounders.  With Different's Spring Fling (non-profit non-commercial venture, Mods) I replaced several twenty round springs.  Some of the USGI magazine springs had too much rust for me or they were seriously compressed but they still worked.  I decided to get all my magazines back up to USGI drawing specification so I replaced the springs as needed.

Tell you what, put a new factory CMI spring in a 1960s OM or UHC magazine and then push the follower down with your fingers.  Oh, my! It's a special feeling.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#28]
It's why your..different?

Hey my (your) book came today and I got the CD a couple days ago.

Right now I am having a threesome,me, my wife and your book in bed with my laptop. The lights are out. Very sexy..

ARDog
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh and have only one M-14 in the house, an LRB with a Sage stock. That thing is not getting in my bed but...

I have a new walnut stocked LRB coming right now, right from Lou.

That might have a chance...

ARDog
Link Posted: 9/6/2006 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Great post. Just weeded out 4 non-GI mags that were sold as "GI" mags. Had markings and nice phosphate finish. One ass hat even had a nice GI dual mag box with lots of nice markings, very professional. Your flow chart really makes it easy to spot. I will easily be able to spot the real thing now. Even if they function OK it still chaps my ass that these crooks are out there. CMI is the way to go, eh?

Very illuminating.
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#31]
How is the quality of new production Armalite magazines?
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#32]
if they're CMI mags like i hear they are, they're good to go.  CMI is the ONLY gov't contractor right now
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Great post. Just weeded out 4 non-GI mags that were sold as "GI" mags. Had markings and nice phosphate finish. One ass hat even had a nice GI dual mag box with lots of nice markings, very professional. Your flow chart really makes it easy to spot. I will easily be able to spot the real thing now. Even if they function OK it still chaps my ass that these crooks are out there. CMI is the way to go, eh?

Very illuminating.

yes, USGI are ideal, but keep this flow chart in mind:

Link Posted: 9/11/2006 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Obsolete
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#35]
They did not work.
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh by the way, I went to the gunshow the other day, tracked down the dude, made him give me my money back. Apparently he has alot of "bogus" mags and was "unaware" they were fake. A bunch were in the fake USGI double box, apparently chinese. I am happy these guys are creatures of habit and put their tables in the same location. I am suprised he did the right thing. Mainly the 9 coil spring mags don't seat correctly (or at all with 20-19 rds.), and the aftermarket bodies are wider and are very tight in magwell. Compared to my "real" mags there is no comparison, bedsides the faked markings.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Just to let you M-14 guys know, I just received some CMI mags from armalite at $25 each. They are identical in every way to my USGI mags on visual inspection. Haven't shot them yet, but I am confident. This is a smoking deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just to let you M-14 guys know, I just received some CMI mags from armalite at $25 each. They are identical in every way to my USGI mags on visual inspection. Haven't shot them yet, but I am confident. This is a smoking deal.

+ 1
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Does any one have any experience with the C J Weapons M-14 magazines that Brownells currently has?
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I've read one report and it was positive.

http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=26325
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 4:30:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Bump. These are made by CMI which is good to go right?
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes, Armalite is selling current production CMI magazines.  The CMI M14 magazines work great.  I've tested them myself and they work great every time I pull the trigger.  There have been zero complaints from the 100 + M14 fans that received 1,000 + 2006 production CMI M14 magazines as a result of the Group Magazine Buy # 1 from across the street.  CMI is on its third USGI contract making M14 magazines.  I've also interviewed SSG John Chalker who used CMI magazines with his M14 rifle in Iraq.  He said they were getting the CMI magazines (and M14 cleaning kits) NIW in 2005.  He was shooting bad guys with his M14 while he was there.  CMI M14 magazines are good to go.

Here's SSG Chalker from the 69th Infantry Regiment in February 2005 at Mahmuhdiyah, Iraq.  He's the soldier with the M14.  Note the lack of a scope. He preferred it that way.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Different.

How are all the post 96 CMI contract mags you have seen been date marked. We ordered about two dozen and got 05 CMI contract mags in blue plastic but they are still dated 1996 on the mag bodies.

We had a few of the 96 CMI mags in paper wrap and the problems we have had with them is some mags would not fit ( latch ) in NM or rack grade 14's. Bottom of tab had to be filed to get them to latch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Different.

How are all the post 96 CMI contract mags you have seen been date marked. We ordered about two dozen and got 05 CMI contract mags in blue plastic but they are still dated 1996 on the mag bodies.

That matches what we've been told by Joe DeBello, Project Manager, Check-Mate Industries (Wyandanch, NY).  The post-'04 CMI magazines sold for the commercial market are unmarked except the ones with the Armalite logo on the floor plate put there by Armalite.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#45]

C) Check-Mate Industries magazines with BRW S-1 markings (not factory original). These have been sold by Brownell's and Elite K9. There are some differences between CMI and real deal BRW S-l magazines. [i]

Look for the horizontal line on the latch plate. If it's there, it's CMI.

There are some other differences but I don't want to discuss it openly on the Internet.

I just received 10 ea M14/M1a magazines from 44MAG that are supposedly CMI.  They have CMI stamped on the heel end of mag on the bottom and NO LINE on tab.  Are these real or fake?

Link Posted: 1/29/2007 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
C) Check-Mate Industries magazines with BRW S-1 markings (not factory original). These have been sold by Brownell's and Elite K9. There are some differences between CMI and real deal BRW S-l magazines. [i]

Look for the horizontal line on the latch plate. If it's there, it's CMI.

There are some other differences but I don't want to discuss it openly on the Internet.

I just received 10 ea M14/M1a magazines from 44MAG that are supposedly CMI.  They have CMI stamped on the heel end of mag on the bottom and NO LINE on tab.  Are these real or fake?

44mag.com is above aboard.  If you get your magazines from 44mag.com they are CMI.  There are other features that CMI magazines have as a whole not found on other USGI magazines.  Sometimes the phosphate coating hides the horizontal line above the two bottom dimples on the latch plate.  Regardless, the CMI marking is legitimate.  CMI marked its ten round magazines that way in the early 1990s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bump. These are made by CMI which is good to go right?

These mags are a steal from armalite right now, get as many as you can before they are gone, i did!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2007 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Greetings, I'm a 2nd time new member (was active here 5-6 years ago), and am getting back into shooting after a long break. Within the next couple months I plan on purchasing an M1A or one of its variants, and after reading this thread I'd like to know if there are any updates as to what's hot and what's not? The general idea that I got was that genuine CMI mags are great, USGI mags are great (knew this from when I had my first M1A), and that the jury is still out on Taiwanese mags. I've heard these were made with US tooling, is the problem then the steel or finish? Cole's has what seems to be a great deal on these, if there's no functioning problems I'd have no problem with buying them and paying to have them re-parkerized when needed. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#50]
In the May 14 SGN, Sarco is selling the following:

M14 & M1A 20 ROUND MAGAZINES
Real quality - Look and act just like G.I.
Same quality for  1.3 the price.

Single mag - $12.95 RM024
5 mags for $59.95
10 mags for $99.50

Anybody order these or played with them yet?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top