Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2017 4:39:00 AM EDT
So I was bidding on one of the 14" factory barrels but didn't get it. I do however have a fairly beat up 18" spare laying around. So since I have decided to form 1 the old girl, I'm trying to decide how short to go. I can obviously cut it down to 14", but I'm thinking of going all the way to the mag tube cap (looks to end up about 12"). Any one gone this short and know that it won't hurt reliability? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have personal experience yet but I've read and been told that the 14's usually require atleast 3 1/4 dram shells to run reliably. So if you cut it down to 12 you may need to run 3 3/4 dram but i of course don't know this for a fact. I know on my Vepr 12, I have to shoot 3 3/4 dram shells for it to run reliably. On that gun with a muzzle brake it shoots pretty smooth, I can't imagine 3 3/4 shells being very much fun to shoot on a 12" inertia shotgun though. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a factory SBS and it has eaten everything we've thrown at it, including cheap Walmart shit loads.

Something to consider is that the SBS M4's enter the US as full length barrels with the sights back at the short position, and Benelli USA cuts them down to be SBS barrels. Which is why they are not threaded for chokes and you can see a slight finish variation on the muzzle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something to consider is that the SBS M4's enter the US as full length barrels with the sights back at the short position, and Benelli USA cuts them down to be SBS barrels. Which is why they are not threaded for chokes and you can see a slight finish variation on the muzzle.
View Quote
Interesting trivia - you've just made me smarter. On a Saturday. Dammit. 

I don't even like tube guns.. and now I kind'a want. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a factory SBS and it has eaten everything we've thrown at it, including cheap Walmart shit loads.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18357/IMG-0600-169467.jpg  

View Quote
M4 being a gas gun vs inertia driven is going to be apples to oranges in terms of short barrel reliability. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Ymmv but in my experience anything that cuts weight (including cutting the barrel shorter) only helps the inertia drive.  I have had luck with nearly all loads including bulk pack stuff.  I think the 14" guns get a tough reputation with light loads in part from all the things that get hung on and add weight- side shell carriers, extended mags, flashlights, etc.  the inertia system just isn't designed for that.  That sort of use (and need) led to the m4.

10" barrel, chopped stock for 30" overall.  3+1+1 (if ghost loaded). Glock 19 shown as universal reference on size.  This started as a police trade in 14".

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ymmv but in my experience anything that cuts weight (including cutting the barrel shorter) only helps the inertia drive.  I have had luck with nearly all loads including bulk pack stuff.  I think the 14" guns get a tough reputation with light loads in part from all the things that get hung on and add weight- side shell carriers, extended mags, flashlights, etc.  the inertia system just isn't designed for that.  That sort of use (and need) led to the m4.

10" barrel, chopped stock for 30" overall.  3+1+1 (if ghost loaded). Glock 19 shown as universal reference on size.  This started as a police trade in 14".

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/mfore/IMG_3264_zps908ppjsv.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice Mfore, I think mine will end up very similar to yours. Time to file the form 1.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't have personal experience yet but I've read and been told that the 14's usually require atleast 3 1/4 dram shells to run reliably. So if you cut it down to 12 you may need to run 3 3/4 dram but i of course don't know this for a fact. .....(snip) 
View Quote
Unlike some gas operated guns the Benelli inertia operating system is not affected by reducing the barrel length.

Less barrel=Less gun weight=Potential for more felt recoil=The inertia system may work even better
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's right about that “imported as a long barrel, cut down in the USA” detail...and that fat section at the end of the 14' barrel leaves enough metal thread that barrel for choke tubes too
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/mfore/IMG_3264_zps908ppjsv.jpg
View Quote
Dammit, just when I thought I'd settled on the SBS O/U...
I freaking love Benellis and their non-union Mexican Italian counterpart the 1201FP, but I thought they were only 14" options so wasn't that interested in SBSing them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]
wow, blast from the past...   for my first SBS, I wanted to do a supershort M1 based on some pics floating around the net.  I researched and couldn't find much and all the smiths I knew at the time weren't very eager to try it out.  It was called the M1 Hammer and I thought the place that made them was in AZ but long gone by the time I was researching it, around 2010-2011.

few old threads I could find still online, there wasn't much more information available back in 2010 although there did seem to be more pics floating around.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/185104-benelli-m1-light-mount-who-makes.html
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?13477-M1-Entry-Benelli-help
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for links!  They talk about the Hammer or M1K from C3 or Class 3 Supplies, possibly in PA, now apparently gone.
Here's a very nice pic from the link:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Not an M1S90, but this M2 is cut to 12.75"/33.75" OAL.

Main reason for 12.75" was to deal with a good place to cut the rib.

DSC_1715-M2 Rib by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1680-M2 Short Long by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1688-M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18357/IMG-0600-169467.jpg  

View Quote
Is that the MI optic mount? What do you think of the aimpoint on the M4? I have been debating that mount or the other one and a RMR.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#15]
There is an M1 locally that is missing the rear ghost ring sight and the front sight is missing off the post. Asking price is $650. It's like an 18.5 inch barrel with a short extension.

@Guncat

Any suggestions on chopping this bugger and what type of sights could be installed on the barrel? I am guessing the mag tube is 3 rounds to the barrel band and then a 2 shot extsension. Is there a +1 and how long would my barrel be if cut flush to the +1? Is that the 14 inch entry model?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is an M1 locally that is missing the rear ghost ring sight and the front sight is missing off the post. Asking price is $650. It's like an 18.5 inch barrel with a short extension.

@Guncat

Any suggestions on chopping this bugger and what type of sights could be installed on the barrel? I am guessing the mag tube is 3 rounds to the barrel band and then a 2 shot extsension. Is there a +1 and how long would my barrel be if cut flush to the +1? Is that the 14 inch entry model?
View Quote
Assorted rifle or GR front sights could be soldered on. Finding the correct height and style would take some measurements and searching.

The factory tube holds 3 rounds (2 3/4” shells). Nordic makes a +1 extension tube . IIRC they have lengths listed on their website that will help you guesstimate the total length.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is that the MI optic mount? What do you think of the aimpoint on the M4? I have been debating that mount or the other one and a RMR.
View Quote
It's the MI mount. The Scalarworks mount is vastly superior, and worth t he money though, whichever optic you go with. He looks to be using a SIG Romeo 4M, or similar.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#19]
So when is Benelli going to get on the bandwagon and build a 14" firearm that we can put a brace on?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:44:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So when is Benelli going to get on the bandwagon and build a 14" firearm that we can put a brace on?
View Quote
Never, hopefully.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
even the SBS guns come in as 18" guns and are cut down in the US so unless they move production to the US, I don't think they can offer anything with a brace...
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Dammit.  Already posted.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
@FredMan

Did you have to do anything other than the chop? Springs, 922r,etc? How does it run?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@FredMan

Did you have to do anything other than the chop? Springs, 922r,etc? How does it run?
View Quote
Nope, just the chop.  The inertia system has trouble of you add weight, no problems with reducing weight.

As for 922r, no issues.  Everything is stock as it it came from Italy, except that I chopped the barrel.

And it runs like a raped ape.  I've put it through it's paces several times at the skeet range, going through 200-300 shells, and no problems.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know of any front sight alternatives? I'd like to go with a 10 or 11" barrel but the rib limits that. Anyone know of a bead or something that could be attached to a cut down rifle sight or ghost ring barrel that would work well?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone know of any front sight alternatives? I'd like to go with a 10 or 11" barrel but the rib limits that. Anyone know of a bead or something that could be attached to a cut down rifle sight or ghost ring barrel that would work well?
View Quote
I had RAS move the factory front light pipe sight back to the new muzzle, grind down the factory mid-rib bead, and add a new bead at the new rib midpoint.  Works for me, but I'm used to a single or double bead setup on shotguns.

DSC_1711-M2 Rib by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#27]
You are correct. The  M1 Hammer was a limited build (I think under 50 guns total) from Class Three Supply in Hermitage, PA. If I remember correctly the head gunsmith there was a man named Al Dewald?(been awhile not sure of spelling) The magazine tube caps were a custom machined design, and barely cleared the bottom of the barrel. You could get 3  2 3/4 shells in the tube, 1 in the chamber and ghost load 1 for a total of 5. They ran fast and kicked like mule, so to speak. I got the chance to shoot 1 at KCR back in 2001 during a demo, and it was an experience. I put 15 rnds of 00 buck and rifled slug through one. The last 5 rounds we did a "speed run" and I was able to get the last round off before the first shell hit the ground. I have a picture somewhere where it shows the third shell coming out of the chamber, with two still in the air. It was an impressive gun. Class Three went out of business several years ago after the owner got himself into trouble (not sure of the backstory). The business changed hands, and eventually went under.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#28]
^ Thanks!!  

I am very much seeking one of these, so if anyone sees one available, I would really appreciate an IM.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Nevermind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top