Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2017 3:03:04 PM EDT
How would you compare the recoil with it compared to a Mossberg 500? Shot my roommates mossy with bulk Winchester walmart ammo (guessing bird shot/trap) and my shoulder aggravates me for 3-5 days.

Before you pile on about me being a sissyman, I highsided my motorcycle 2 years ago and landed directly on my shoulder. Was wearing a good Dainese jacket, so I was ok, but as much as I want a a5 a la bonnie and clyde style, not going to sink $ into a gun I won't enjoy.
Tell me it's not as bad

-Stewart
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How would you compare the recoil with it compared to a Mossberg 500? Shot my roommates mossy with bulk Winchester walmart ammo (guessing bird shot/trap) and my shoulder aggravates me for 3-5 days.

Before you pile on about me being a sissyman, I highsided my motorcycle 2 years ago and landed directly on my shoulder. Was wearing a good Dainese jacket, so I was ok, but as much as I want a a5 a la bonnie and clyde style, not going to sink $ into a gun I won't enjoy.
Tell me it's not as bad

-Stewart
View Quote

Anytime you have an autoloader that uses recoil or gas to cycle it will have less felt recoil than a pump. The pump has a bolt that is locked solid. No different than an over/under. The only place for ALL of it to go is into your shoulder. An automatic of any kind uses some of that energy to cycle the action, so you have less felt recoil..
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Browning A5s have a friction ring that is adjustable for different types of ammunition. It should be used to minimize felt recoil in heavier loads and maximize performance. A pump of any type or brand = what you get. Check it out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Browning A5s have a friction ring that is adjustable for different types of ammunition. It should be used to minimize felt recoil in heavier loads and maximize performance. A pump of any type or brand = what you get. Check it out.
View Quote

If you buy one make sure you remember this!!! I shot my grandpas for years without knowing lol. Pretty cool design and history with the Rem11 and auto5

On that note.. It is less, but its still a 12g and shooting clays all day will get to you. 20g auto5 will be your friend, sissyman lol kidding kidding
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a WW2 era Browning auto 5 with a 19" barrel and I really don't enjoy shooting it because of the recoil, sexy looking but not fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a WW2 era Browning auto 5 with a 19" barrel and I really don't enjoy shooting it because of the recoil, sexy looking but not fun to shoot.
View Quote

Rarely shoot mine either, was passed down from grandpa wayyy back. Its a different feel, that may be why
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with an 1187 or 1100 with a pistolgrip stock. they are all steel and heavy. Less felt recoil than an A5, easier to shoot all day, at least at skeet/trap.

Only drawback is that you can't really get them to cycle with anything but high brass fairly hard kicking loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top