Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2017 9:06:22 AM EDT
I just got my form 1 back to make my Stevens coach gun into a SBS. I got this gun for free about ten years ago and finally decided to do something with it. It's definitely a "beater" gun, not much finish on, a little surface rust here and there, nothing exciting for furniture. I figure I'll alumahyde the metalwork and sand and stain the wood when it's finished, I don't want too much cash into it.

I'm thinking birds head for the pistol grip, I got that figured out, cut it and shape it, no problems there it's wood after all. What about the barrel? I don't want it to look like a hack job and I have worked with metal things a lot throughout my life to know that achieving a factory finished look with a hack saw and a file is near impossible.

So what do you guys to shorten the bbl on your shotguns, how did you go about it and how did it turn out?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I boxed mine up and sent it to Rose Action Sports in Kentucky with a money order inside and magically it was sent back shortened.

Probably not the help you were looking for though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I boxed mine up and sent it to Rose Action Sports in Kentucky with a money order inside and magically it was sent back shortened.

View Quote

I have a machinist local to me who's a gun guy but not a smith or FFL. I've spoken to him about and he'd do it for me but I'm kinda looking here to see if anyone has a cool DIY method.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I put my barrel in a lathe and used a parting tool. I wouldn't be afraid to use whatever tools I had on hand either. Hacksaw and a file, with some patience, would work fine!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I used my band saw.  I do a lot of metal work....  Using a hack saw and file would work just fine if you take your time.  Get yourself a new blade and just go slow.  Also, cold blue is very easy to use to refinish the barrels.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
wrap the barrels with tape so you get a good even line for a reference, then use a hacksaw to cut past that line, and finish with files to the line.

Feel free to use other equipment to make life easier. For instance cut with bandsaw, or have machinist friend clean up the cut with a mill.

You could fill the little gap with soldier or JB Weld. Cold blue or similar to touch up shiny metal, or paint it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a pipe cutter.  I greased the barrel so the rollers wouldn't mark it.  Afterwards I used a brake cylinder hone, and then a dowel and sandpaper to clean up the I.D.

I had the proper tap and drill for the bead, so I reinstalled.  It needs to be much taller, so I later added Scattergun Tech peep sights with a taller front sight.  I recall they make three sizes of front sights.

I can see this wouldn't work with a coach gun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Hack saw.

Was careful and as Wildearp said, cleaned it up afterwards.

Had a friend silver solder or braze (?) the bead back on.

After all, you said it was a beater.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hack saw.

Was careful and as Wildearp said, cleaned it up afterwards.

Had a friend silver solder or braze (?) the bead back on.

After all, you said it was a beater.
View Quote

Beater yes but the object of the game is to have it come out better than it went in. Pipe cutter is out for a SxS.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried my crappy harbor freight bandsaw I use for cutting kydex. Didn't work lol. So I broke out the Dremel and cut off wheel, cranked the speed up and cut them off. Took my time and afterwards they were a little gnarly looking. Taped a piece of 80 grit to my bench and sanded the muzzle down. Finished up with some needle files and cold blue. Its not perfect but I think they look fine. 

For me, the wood working part was more of a pain in the ass. That didn't come out as well as I'd hoped, especially where I had to inlet for the bolt and washer at the top of the pistol grip. 
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be using a hacksaw, I believe.  Stamp has been approved forever, and I've been trying to decide if I should buy a 14" barrel, or DIY.  If I didn't already epoxy a XS Big Dot on it, I would have done it already.

I did post about this in the Gunsmithing Forum, but got no replies.  How is the bead on a pedestal attached on an 870?  And can I melt the solder without damaging the Big Dot?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is exactly what I did.  Threaded for chokes and everything.

DSC_1664-M2 Short Barrel by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1680-M2 Short Long by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1706-M2 Muzzle by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been collecting and shortening to 18.5".  I will rough cut to length then finish with a muzzle facer, files and stones.  I am a fan of Rose action Sports as well. I had Steve thread my SBS for choke tubes.  He will machine my loading port shortly if I get off my butt and mail it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll be using a hacksaw, I believe.  Stamp has been approved forever, and I've been trying to decide if I should buy a 14" barrel, or DIY.  If I didn't already epoxy a XS Big Dot on it, I would have done it already.

I did post about this in the Gunsmithing Forum, but got no replies.  How is the bead on a pedestal attached on an 870?  And can I melt the solder without damaging the Big Dot?
View Quote

Well, tonight I said "screw it" and took a hacksaw to it, followed by cleaning it up with a file.  I hit the bead/pedestal/Big Dog with a MAPP torch, and the JB weld on the Big Dot melted way sooner than I thought it would.  I slightly melted the plastic insert in the Big Dot, but it looks like it survived.  Then after enough heat, the bead on the pedestal came off.  Definitely high temp solder.  I may have melted the bead a bit, it looks a little flattened.  Oh well, it should still work.

I'm going to cheat and try the Black Max Loctite to replace the sight on the newly cut barrel.

I also chopped an inch off the stock and began to reshape the recoil pad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#15]
If your buddy has access to a wire edm, it's the way to go. That's how I shorten all barrels.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Used a square and blue tape to mark the cut.  Took a 24 tooth hacksaw and just cut the barrel.  Then with files and emery cloth I dressed the muzzle and kept checking with the square to make sure everything was true.  Used cold bluing to finish the job.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, I did it with a hack saw.

Just some quick picks of the process, it still needs to be finished. I also might cut the stock down into a bird's head, I just wanted to be able to reassemble it tonight without shortening the bolt. The bead sight needs to be reinstalled, the wood refinished, the end of the barrels filed straight and square and a few coats of alumahyde on the metal bits.

I decided to put the engraving under the front hand guard and because it wouldn't be seen I did it with an electro pencil. Printed the text on a mailing label, stuck that on and traced over it. Came out sort of ok but good enough for something you'll never see I think.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK, I did it with a hack saw.

Just some quick picks of the process, it still needs to be finished. I also might cut the stock down into a bird's head, I just wanted to be able to reassemble it tonight without shortening the bolt. The bead sight needs to be reinstalled, the wood refinished, the end of the barrels filed straight and square and a few coats of alumahyde on the metal bits.

I decided to put the engraving under the front hand guard and because it wouldn't be seen I did it with an electro pencil. Printed the text on a mailing label, stuck that on and traced over it. Came out sort of ok but good enough for something you'll never see I think.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/image-128526.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/image-128510.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/image-128511.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/image-128512.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/image-128513.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/image-128514.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/image-128515.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12631/image-128516.jpg
View Quote

I tend to skirt the rules but last I checked, I though engraving had to be "readily visible" or some crap "without disassembly"

I'm typically wrong though.
Nice project
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I tend to skirt the rules but last I checked, I though engraving had to be "readily visible" or some crap "without disassembly"

I'm typically wrong though.
Nice project
View Quote

Jeez, I hope not. The hand guard pops off with one finger so no tools. I hope that's not "disassembly."
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Jeez, I hope not. The hand guard pops off with one finger so no tools. I hope that's not "disassembly."
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about it.

My O/U stamp should be here any day
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#22]
On my SBS double, you must take the forend off to see the serial number.  I marked mine on the receiver across from the SN.  I'm sure it will be fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On my SBS double, you must take the forend off to see the serial number.  I marked mine on the receiver across from the SN.  I'm sure it will be fine.
View Quote

I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Pretty sure I'm not happy with the stock though. I think it needs to be a full on pistol grip.

I dressed up the end of the barrel, came out really nice I think. I didn't think I'd be able to get it as nice as I did by hand.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#24]
MP5s have been marked on the tang (which is covered by the trigger housing and stock) for many many years without issue, I think your location is more than acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Cut the butt stock down to where I wanted and sanded the furniture. I had some cold blued laying around so tried it to see how it would look. Looks sort of OK, but I'm still thinking of painting with alumahyde.

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks great.

Did you use a shorter bolt?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looks great.

Did you use a shorter bolt?
View Quote

I made huge mistake there. I forgot to drill the recess for the shorter bolt before I cut the stock down. It would have soooo much easier had I done that.

Not sure how I'm going do it now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I just sent my 870 barrel to Rose Action Sports, he did all the work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a 12.5" 870 barrel for $75 off GB, slapped it on when it showed up
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I drove 9 hours to VangComp Systems.

I wanted to meet the guys who Id be paying a decent chunk of money to.

870 Police and 590A1.  They also cut down a Stoeger for me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top