Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2016 5:11:42 PM EDT
How is this an improvement over the factory ACR piston setup?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Advance warning:  I don't own Marvin's ACR gas system yet.

Advantages I'm aware of:
Lighter
Can extract piston from front of rifle without removing anything else
Fine tuneable
AVAILABLE

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Read this thread for greater detail:

link to Nefarious Arms gas system review
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Advantages I'm aware of:
Lighter
Fine tuneable
AVAILABLE

View Quote

The piston comes out with the regulator just like with the factory system.  

Here's a pros and cons

Pros

Lighter

Allows the use of a factory AR gas port.  Normally you would have to plug it and resize since the ACR uses gas more efficiently than an AR.

Available, although not sure if he'll sell it without a barrel

It's not nessarily more tunable than the factory system but you can send just the regulator to be tuned where as the barrel has to be sent in for the factory system

The guide block allows the use of more barrels

It's pretty

Cons

It's very very dirty while the factory system is down right spotless.  If you hold the handguard over the regulator you'll end up with black hands.

It uses gas rings which are a wear part that was purposely designed out of the ACR to make it as long lasting and bullet proof as possible.

The piston assembly can move out of the regulator when over gassed resulting in the rings being melted and wrecked.

It is actually more difficult to switch settings, especially with the handguard still attached.  The factory regulator only has one position that removes it so when you go between settings it stays put.  This one pops out pretty aggressively. Not so much an issue when it's not covered.  

If Marvin will not sell separately, you're looking at a bit of a wait.

Personally I prefer the factor system because it's very clean, very simple and very rugged.  If the world ends the ACR in its factory condition will put last you and any other rifle.  Nothing wears, nothing really breaks.  

But since his is actually available, if it's available, I would love a few more of his.  The fact that you can just pop it on a barrel and not really touch the barrel is a huge plus.  Ordering another regulator is much easier that having your barrels gas port resized.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here's a pros and cons

Pros

Lighter

Allows the use of a factory AR gas port.  Normally you would have to plug it and resize since the ACR uses gas more efficiently than an AR.

It's not nessarily more tunable than the factory system but you can send just the regulator to be tuned where as the barrel has to be sent in for the factory system

It's pretty

Cons

It's very very dirty while the factory system is down right spotless.  If you hold the handguard over the regulator you'll end up with black hands.

It uses gas rings which are a wear part that was purposely designed out of the ACR to make it as long lasting and bullet proof as possible.

The piston assembly can move out of the regulator when over gassed resulting in the rings being melted and wrecked.

It is actually more difficult to switch settings, especially with the handguard still attached.  The factory regulator only has one position that removes it so when you go between settings it stays put.  This one pops out pretty aggressively. Not so much an issue when it's not covered.  

Personally I prefer the factor system because it's very clean, very simple and very rugged.  If the world ends the ACR in its factory condition will put last you and any other rifle.  Nothing wears, nothing really breaks.  

But since his is actually available, if it's available, I would love a few more of his.  The fact that you can just pop it on a barrel and not really touch the barrel is a huge plus.  Ordering another regulator is much easier that having your barrels gas port resized.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advantages I'm aware of:
Lighter
Fine tuneable
AVAILABLE

Here's a pros and cons

Pros

Lighter

It's pretty

Cons

Thanks for the extensive write up, right now I'm just trying to save for either his or Danas conversion. How is margins piston system attached to the barrel  as you mentioned you could just swap it between barrels easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top