Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2016 6:05:08 PM EDT
I would like one of these rifles. I always thought they looked awesome and I like some of the features they have over some of the newer rifle designs like the SCAR, ARX, etc. Is there anyone anywhere making barrels for this gun? Also, I remember reading a few years ago how the barrel extension lugs were being chewed up a bit from the bolt. Is this still a problem? Any insight on the rifle is appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They use AR-15 barrels slightly modified for the pins in the gas block. Marvin Pitts at Nefarious Arms is the go-to barrel guy. He even has his own gas system that is highly thought of given everything I've read.  However, give him your own barrel assy and tell him that you're after and he'll get it done.

Just a shot across the bow, Marvin works with a 2+ month backlog due to the quality of his work.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had several AR type rifles and I've sold everything but my AR 308 after shooting my ACR over the past couple years. I'm not familiar with the bolt lug situation. I can tell you, however, that if you handle a SCAR and ACR back to back you will make the same decision I did. Bthey are a bit nose heavy stock, but minor tweaks (14.5" with pinned FH and reprofiling barrel) help a ton.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
They peen the barrel extension slightly during break in, it's just the nature of the platform.  It doesn't hurt or affect anything whatsoever minus cosmetically.  It generally will wear within a few rounds and not change after that.  

As far as barrels, Marvin does great work but has a good backlog.  I also do work on barrels for the Acr.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
So many black ACRs... not a single Coyote. Were they a special run??
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Did they ever release a 1:7 twist barrel for the ACR. Not a huge deal but i load some heavier pills so i was just curious. Thanks for the info. Also do they take any gen pmag or is there a certain gen mag to sray away from?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They peen the barrel extension slightly during break in, it's just the nature of the platform.  It doesn't hurt or affect anything whatsoever minus cosmetically.  It generally will wear within a few rounds and not change after that.  

As far as barrels, Marvin does great work but has a good backlog.  I also do work on barrels for the Acr.
View Quote

What kinda of work do you do?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
No mag problems I'm aware of except for 6.8 conversions.  Bigdog can speak on that if needed.

I have a coyote brown ACR...they weren't a special run. I don't know the actual breakdown but I bet it's close to 50/50 with ownership. Maybe slightly favored to black.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The Coyotes aren't special, no one's just posting pics of them yet.  I've had 2 coyotes and one black acr over the years, my black one is a SBR as to why I keep it around more.

The 6.8 I shot had chambering issues, but that could be the soft lead tip rounds I was shooting.  I did a 25 round mag dump in full auto and it ran fine, recoiled like a mule but ran fine.  I'd like to try with some different rounds eventually.

As far as work, I  can lighten the internal rails and bolt up, tune the barrel and I also do barrel/caliber conversions.  I also have few direct contacts with Remington so I can get spare parts fairly quick on top of what I already have here.

My most recent project for a customer is installing and tuning one of CJ's trunions into a customer's Acr.  (the 10.5" 6.8mm one)

also I work for a 07/02, so I have cool guy projects that I do on that side too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to know Coyote and Black were produced in equal numbers. Was just wondering why almost all the ACRs on Gunbroker are black.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been interested in this rifle too. A couple additional questions to keep this thread interesting:

1) What is the difference between an ACR Basic and an ACR Enhanced? It appears that the Basic has a Magpul foreend and the Enhanced has an aluminum 3-rail foreend. Anything else different?

2) Are they easily SBR'd or does that get compliacted because it's a piston driven system? 3-4" off that barrel would make it look much better.

3) Are there any differences between the early models and current production?

- I never see FDE/Coyote models either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been interested in this rifle too. A couple additional questions to keep this thread interesting:

1) What is the difference between an ACR Basic and an ACR Enhanced? It appears that the Basic has a Magpul foreend and the Enhanced has an aluminum 3-rail foreend. Anything else different?

2) Are they easily SBR'd or does that get compliacted because it's a piston driven system? 3-4" off that barrel would make it look much better.

View Quote

The Basic has a fixed stock, Basic handguard
The Basic Folder has the folding stock and Basic Handugard
The Enhanced has a folding stock and Enhanced handguard

As far as SBR-ing, it's not bad.  You can cut the factory barrel down or replace it entirely.  If you go down below 12" you need to change barrels.

They are pretty much all the same, they upgraded the firing pin and spring for the recall, changed the brass deflector, and beefed up the charging handle assembly.

I have no idea on the Coyote rifles but they are out there.  They most likely are selling them out fairly quick, there's not many rifles on Gunbroker or even Budsgunshop

Also, the barrels are labeled 1/9 but are most likely 1/8.  I've tested this along with others and have had the same results.  The barrel most likely can stabilize hornady 75gr match rounds, or at least my 4 factory barrels have.   YMMV

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As far as SBR-ing, it's not bad.  You can cut the factory barrel down or replace it entirely.  If you go down below 12" you need to change barrels.

They are pretty much all the same, they upgraded the firing pin and spring for the recall, changed the brass deflector, and beefed up the charging handle assembly.

I have no idea on the Coyote rifles but they are out there.  They most likely are selling them out fairly quick, there's not many rifles on Gunbroker or even Budsgunshop

Also, the barrels are labeled 1/9 but are most likely 1/8.  I've tested this along with others and have had the same results.  The barrel most likely can stabilize hornady 75gr match rounds, or at least my 4 factory barrels have.   YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brilliant reply! Thank you so much for your detail. I have no further questions!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I need to get a coyote ACR.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I just looked at the Bushmaster 2016 catalog and all of the assembled ACR rifles are listed as having a 1 in 9 twist while the barrel sub-assemblies are listed as having a 1 in 7 twist. They offer as short as 10.5" as well as 14.5", 16.5", and 18.5". There is no mention of other calibers than 5.56. I also noted the total absence of .308 pattern rifles. The main website is listed as under construction and I'm sure the catalog could be incredibly wrong as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Those short 1:7 barrels are vaporware. They've listed them for years and never sold them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think I need to get a coyote ACR.
View Quote

You'll love it....
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those short 1:7 barrels are vaporware. They've listed them for years and never sold them.
View Quote

Independent tests put the barrels at 1:8 so 1:7 would be pointless to them. What I don't get is why Bushmaster, who will acknowledges this, doesn't change the specs to show 1:8, which is a preferable twist rate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top