Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2017 5:54:31 PM EDT
Anybody pressed baffles from sheet metal?  

I want to mainly to save weight and try something new.  I will make the stamping dies from a heat treatable steel and harden them.  Dies will have a bolt down the center, after stamping the dies will be held together with the center bolt, chucked in a lathe, and the excess sheet turned off to make the baffle round.  If I can't keep the holes centered/sized accurately I'll make some similar jig that holds the baffle by the edge so the center hole can be made the correct size.  

This is for a large integral silencer for 44/45caluber rifles.  Will be 12-14 inches long and almost 2 inch diameter.  First baffle will be a simple machined stainless cone for durability.  

My questions:

I've seen stamped baffles that were the shape of a very shallow cone.  Has anybody stamped radius cones shaped like an octane baffle?  

What angle has anybody pressed baffles to without ripping?  What material and thickness was it? How much did it spring back coming out of the die?  

Material?  I have 0.05 thick 4130 sheet and was going to parkerize them.  Feel like stainless would be easier to clean though, what stainless to use?  

Press?  I assume a typical 10-15 ton bottle jack style press privides more than adequate force?

Any other input?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My FP cans were made using a JS tactical jig and a 1/2 ton arbor press. angle wise I can measure that for you if you want. 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a video somewhere of a guy making surefire style baffles by spinning them. He had a form and a bearing type roller that he used to form the sheet metal over his die. It was kind of cool. I wonder if you cold do something similar to press the cone and then roll a skirt and trim it to length.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The spinning is not cost effective on the smaller sizes.  Stamping of higher grades of steel and Ti did not work out (someone looked into bringing these to market and their source could not get it to work).  In smaller qty hand made on lathe, and in larger qty CNC is the most cost effective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top