Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 12:27:17 AM EDT
I was debating making my own freeze plug press dies, rather than using a 60 degree cone. I'd read about how clipping causes asymmetrical flow that causes turbulence and expends energy in the gas stream, and I wondered if you could achieve the same thing by pressing the freeze plugs into an asymmetrical shape.

Imagine a freeze plug that, looking down from the top, has an angle of 60 degrees at 12 o'clock. As you go around the clock, the angle changes smoothly down to 45 degrees, where it jumps back up to 60 degrees.

Or, alternatively, half the baffle is at 60 degrees, and half is at 45 degrees. It could be smooth or a jump.

Here's a crappy paint of what I'm thinking about:

Is this worth doing? I'm sure it'll be easier to make the normal clipped baffles, but my machinist friend likes to show off. I thought this might be an effective baffle design. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What caliber is this intended to suppress and will the ammunition be HV or SS?

Also, I don't believe you'll be able to stretch a FP as far as needed to create such an exaggerated shape.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Freeze plugs will not form that much unless you have a series of dies and a pretty strong press. It will be heavy as hell also, I would just do the proven cone,K or M and be done.

FYI there area few dealers on eBay selling blank k baffles now
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FYI there area few dealers on eBay selling blank k baffles now
View Quote
Ks are the hardest for a hobbiest to get right.  I'd go with cones over Ks regardless of caliber.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ks are the hardest for a hobbiest to get right.  I'd go with cones over Ks regardless of caliber.
View Quote

You are correct, I would actually do a set of 5 cones with a vsr and spacer on the blast and last. It seems to be the cheapest and most efficient way to get 7 baffles and have great suppression from research.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I was planning to use this on my .300blk with both subs and supers, and the same with my .22 can.

I guess I'll just stick with a 60 degree cone.

I guess I hadn't heard about using a valve spring retainer for the first cone. What's the purpose of that, and is there a link where I can read about it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Might work of you used two dies...one to start, one to finish. Might also heat the parts up to soften. You might be on to something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top