Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2017 12:50:46 AM EDT
I've searched around and finding a mix of ideas on this. One suggestion was a smaller hole in the blast chamber and then larger on the exit. For example, .250 in the blast chamber and then .300 at the exit. What is the benefit of this?

.250 seems a bit tight though so I was thinking more like .280 (basically a 9/32 drill bit) for all baffles and end cap.

Is there a sweet spot? Not too narrow and not too open?

This is for a 22lr.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
0.260" - 0.275" if you're using a lathe.

A 17/62" drill bit is 0.2656". A 9/32" bit is 0.2813". Either will work well.

Clip the baffles for best performance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 17/62" drill bit is 0.2656".
View Quote

17/62 never heard of that one

Just kidding ya, I know you meant 17/64"
This is what I, too, use for anything 22cal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

17/62 never heard of that one

Just kidding ya, I know you meant 17/64"
This is what I, too, use for anything 22cal.
View Quote

Oops...
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

How might the two different sizes affect performance of either the bullet or the suppressor? If it's a cheap can with potentially looser tolerances is the slightly larger bore a better choice?

I don't have a lathe and it's AL so hoping a drill press is good enough. Do I need to lube or anything?

To clip, is turning it on the size and drilling a semicircle good enough?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you think that if you drilled center marked baffles on a drill press you would get a baffle strike with a 17/64 diameter hole?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You could always do a 17/64  endcap hole and 9/32 in the baffles if you are worried about centers on baffles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you think that if you drilled center marked baffles on a drill press you would get a baffle strike with a 17/64 diameter hole?
View Quote

If the threads, bore, and exit were all aligned, I would have no problem using a 17/64". With center marked baffles, an accurate drill press, and a sharp new bit, I say go for it.

If there's any doubt, as another poster suggested, you could go to a 9/32" and see very little (if any) difference in noise reduction. In fact, a 9/32" might even be better for gas flow on the baffles, which could give you better suppression and less blowback.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If the threads, bore, and exit were all aligned, I would have no problem using a 17/64". With center marked baffles, an accurate drill press, and a sharp new bit, I say go for it.

If there's any doubt, as another poster suggested, you could go to a 9/32" and see very little (if any) difference in noise reduction. In fact, a 9/32" might even be better for gas flow on the baffles, which could give you better suppression and less blowback.
View Quote

Thanks. Since this is my first form 1 I think I'm inclined to go with the slight margin of safety and do 9/32. If it's a bit better for gas flow then all the better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
just remember, you can always remove material, it's quite difficult to put it back.

Drills cut oversize. If it were me I would start with the 17/64 and measure the actual hole, then decide if I want to go up to 9/32
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
just remember, you can always remove material, it's quite difficult to put it back.

Drills cut oversize. If it were me I would start with the 17/64 and measure the actual hole, then decide if I want to go up to 9/32
View Quote

Good point. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
This question has multiple answers.

The real question is what is your worst case - how many different barrels are you going to try and use this suppressor on. Which has the sloppyist threads, worst concentricity, shortest length of engagement, OAL of suppressor tube?

I once built a dedicated can for a customer that had a .236" blast baffle, M baffle stack was .242" and endcap was .249" and even using crap ammo this unit has never had an issue with any signs of a baffle strike. But again - its a dedicated unit and doesn't get used on any other firearm other than its intended host.

Regan said; Trust but verify. Well everyone should check the OEM barrel threads before any device gets mounted.

Don't try this at home, unless your home has $50,000 minimum in quality machine tools and you have 10+ years exp with those tools.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
So what kind of bits are you using? Was thinking cobalt.

Also, sizes like 9/32 aren't common in small sets I've found and large sets are a waste and have very few usable bits - most of the bits are too small or too large to be useful. Has anyone found a good set for these types of projects?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So what kind of bits are you using? Was thinking cobalt.

Also, sizes like 9/32 aren't common in small sets I've found and large sets are a waste and have very few usable bits - most of the bits are too small or too large to be useful. Has anyone found a good set for these types of projects?
View Quote

What material?. I buy singles or packs off eBay pretty cheap
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Ideally, one bit to rule them all - AL, SS, TI.

Amazon does have single bits as well, but a useful set would be better and probably cheaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top