Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2017 7:57:46 PM EDT
I got my form 1, then got my tube and freeze plugs, along with a centering tool.  I'm using a 5.5" C-tube, the centering tool for the freeze plugs, and spreading the holes using torx bits to 0.25 inches.

I've got 18 of the freeze-plug-turned-baffles in the tube along with about 0.2" of spacer at the feed end, I put O-rings at either end to keep things nice and tight.  Visually looking through the end it looks like a nice smooth hole all the way down the center. 

When I shoot through it, it sounds like a cork popping.  It bugs me because I wonder if that sound is the sound of the bullet hitting the baffles?  I haven't been around many suppressors, but the ones I see on youtube sound more like a pffffft rather than a cork.  Not sure if that's the audio recording or if mine just sounds odd?

I haven't shot at a target yet, have to get out to the range for that, just shooting into a 4x4 to check functionality.  It is definitely quiet and does not require earmuffs.  Bullets don't look (over 3-4 feet) like they are keyholing or anything.

Any hints?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What does the second shot fired sound like? Perhaps you are describing "first round pop" if you are only doing one shot and calling it quits?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Pew Pew Pew

let hear it .  post the Sound file
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
May bad  DT
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm... I shot a few, they all sound the same to me.

Do I need to oil it or something?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Posting a sound file would take some time.

Are there examples online of what it sounds like when there's a baffle strike?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a good app.   to analyze  sound . has all the graphs with all the important sound stuff.

will see if I can find it. got it

link

link 2
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a good app.   to analyze  sound . has all the graphs with all the important sound stuff.

will see if I can find it.
View Quote

Would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the sound I'm comparing to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5nCIRnAvHI

My sounds like a cork popping, this sounds like a pfffft
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Baffles facing the correct way?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you use an alignment rod?  Shoot at paper and see if you are getting round holes.  I would imagine baffle strikes with a 22 would wobble that bullet a bit
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is the sound I'm comparing to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5nCIRnAvHI

My sounds like a cork popping, this sounds like a pfffft
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Baffles facing the correct way?
View Quote

I think so... cones pointing toward barrel, yes?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did you use an alignment rod?  Shoot at paper and see if you are getting round holes.  I would imagine baffle strikes with a 22 would wobble that bullet a bit
View Quote

How does one use an alignment rod in this context?  Wouldn't that require another hole in each baffle?

I guess I need to learn a bit more about this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Paper was a good idea. You are right, they are not coming out straight.

so should I widen the holes?  How wide before it's too wide?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I think you probably have too many baffles in there, my first .22 can was the same 5.5" C Cell tube build as yours. I have 6 freeze plug baffles spaced out in there and (after it got a little crud built up, which helps quiet it down) it's not much different in sound on a pistol from a Silencer Co Spectre II I bought to compare, on a rifle you couldn't tell them apart blind folded I bet!

Also sounds like your bore hole is too small or your barrel threads aren't concentric. With the suppressor on your barrel, sight down the bore and see if it all lines up good, you can tell if it's "good enough" or not by doing that!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#16]
.250" is pretty tight for a bullet that measures .223"

Pull it apart, inspect for damage to baffle to indicate strikes.

Open them up to about .280"... a 9/32" (0.281") drill bit will do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I used 4 freeze plugs in mine and it ended up heavier than commercial cans.  I could only imagine what a 18 plug can would weigh.  My sounded the same as commercial cans.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a0QWJN8nKk
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, sounds like tonight or tomorrow I will:

1) buy a pipe cutter to make spacers
2) reduce the number of baffles to 6
3) widen the holes in those 6 to 2.80

i think the barrel threading is fine, everything looks nice and straight.  I'll put a straight edge up to it and check, though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Just because it is straight doesn't mean it is concentric.

You need to look down the bore and see if one side of the baffles are closer to the bore line than another.

A straight edge on the outside will not tell you anything about the inside alignment
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I opened up 6 of the baffles to ~0.280 (+0.008 / - 0.005)

I added spacers (back to front) with thicknesses of 0.671, 0.609, 0.550, 0.501, 0.412, 0.411 (+/- 0.002)

And I opened up the front endcap to 0.290

Took off the barrel and looked down the bore into a light, I don't see any concentricity issues, looks in line all the way down including the barrel.

Still sounds like popping a cork, not much difference really.

I've got to be doing something wrong. 

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used 4 freeze plugs in mine and it ended up heavier than commercial cans.  I could only imagine what a 18 plug can would weigh.  My sounded the same as commercial cans.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a0QWJN8nKk
View Quote

Can you show me a photo of what your internals look like?

That video is what I'm trying to achieve.  Not there yet, obviously.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#22]
You never said what your host is.  When you look at videos is the host gun the same as yours?  Semi automatic guns can make a lot of noise through the action, something a bolt action doesn't do.  

Also what kind of ammo are you using?  Something hot like CCI Mini Mags or Velociters are not going to be as quiet as standard velocity bulk ammo.  

Finally how big is your blast chamber? Ideally your first baffle should be about .25" behind the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I opened up 6 of the baffles to ~0.280 (+0.008 / - 0.005)

I added spacers (back to front) with thicknesses of 0.671, 0.609, 0.550, 0.501, 0.412, 0.411 (+/- 0.002)

And I opened up the front endcap to 0.290

Took off the barrel and looked down the bore into a light, I don't see any concentricity issues, looks in line all the way down including the barrel.

Still sounds like popping a cork, not much difference really.

I've got to be doing something wrong. 

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss309/tbonifie/3fbb7dea-9a20-46e9-a44c-bc041d2429c5_zps7n3kjqfn.jpg
View Quote

This looks pretty much exactly like mine, so I think you're on the right track construction wise, bore size sounds good too. My cones may be slightly deeper than yours, but not by much if they are. Mine did get quieter as it got dirty, so keep that in mind too. 

Also a friend and I have noticed for some reason the CCI Quiet 700fps or the CB type ammo makes a pop like you described (in Factory and Form 1 suppressors we have been around) while higher velocities (standard velocity in a rifle or bulk HV in a 4.5" pistol) actually sound like they should. So it may be your ammo choice!

YouTube makes everything sound better and quieter than it is in person too, with all my cans they've been louder than I expected but still great to have!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm using Aguila sub-sonic 22 (only subsonic I could find)

host is a brand new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite

that 0.671 spacer is before the first baffle, so I suppose that's my blast chamber.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

that 0.671 spacer is before the first baffle, so I suppose that's my blast chamber.
View Quote

If you didn't know you shouldn't need subsonic rounds for your 22/45, it keeps almost everything subsonic with the 4.5" Barrel.

I've got probably a 0.75" or so blast chamber spacer on mine and the low profile caps from SDTA as well. It appears your caps may take up more internal volume, but I think I had some FRP on my pistol so you might be at a good compromise there.

My C-Cell build lives on a bolt action rifle now, but it spent a lot of time on my 22/45 MKIII before I got a second can. It sounded pretty good there, just not quite as good as my Spectre II.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
With CCI Quiet ammo I think mine sounds like a tool being popped off an air compressor tube. However, the sound of the bullet hitting dirt sounds like a loud smack. The first shot is always louder though, something to do with the air inside the can. Don't judge by the first shot. If you don't have any Quiet ammo I'm told 22 Short should work the same but requires manual loading.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Put your thumb behind the bolt and fire a round without the action moving to see if it sounds different

That will tell you if it's noise coming out of the action or out of the silencer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Can you show me a photo of what your internals look like?

That video is what I'm trying to achieve.  Not there yet, obviously.
View Quote

I could not find one, but I used one less plug than you did, so spacers were all .50" or bigger.  I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference.  between what you did and I did?  Mine sounded the commercial can of the same size.  My spacers were thinner SS but should should not have been a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#29]
The bullet striking a hard 4x4 is going the create a bit of a thump.  From just a few feet away that is going to be difficult to distinguish muzzle report from the bullet strike.  On top of that the echoing from inside your garage.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it the 60 grain SSS round? Because that gun most likely won't stabilize that round.

The edges of your baffle holes looks bad. It might not be a suppression issue, it might be the bullet failing to stabilize and striking the baffles. The cork pop you hear could be the sound of the round bouncing off a baffle.

In a handgun you can use any common .22 ammo off the shelf and not worry about it going supersonic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top